Should Microsoft kill Windows Phone (and Bing) ?

Metro sounds better than Windows Phone 7 :/

Why?

There's nothing wrong with the Windows brand name and "Microsoft Metro Phone" sounds terrible.

The Windows brand name is synonymous with Microsoft, drop that and Windows Phone loses its identity. Remember Kin, look how well that sold!!?!

all fairness windows mobile should stick around.

Bing so vanish. No one ever say "bing it" its always "I will always ask use google before asking a stupid question*

or "Google it" , "just google it"

Your signature is truly ironic right at this moment...

Windows Phone...not Windows Mobile...and Bing isn't vanishing...it's growing...it has 1/3 of the search market share right now (since you have to include Yahoo and English Baidu searches) which means 1 out of every 3 searches done on the internet, is through Bing.

I wish I could fail that hard. :p

Take a look at the author's description:

For someone who supposedly specializes in understanding everything Microsoft, the article just makes him look like an idiot. How many more times does it need to be explained for people to understand that WP7 and Bing are long-term strategies that are there to provide foothold and competition in their respective areas. Bing is just awesome and can only continue improve its market share over time. WP7 has it's fair share of skeptics given how successful iOS and Android is, and this is a huge barrier when it comes to attracting new users. But those who have taken the dive have good things to say about it. Industry analysts don't go out an make predictions that WP7 could potentially be number 1 by year 2015 if it didn't have a legitimate chance.

Exactly. For someone that claims to know what's going on, he comes off really clueless... And I am truly amazed at how few people are able to see the (Rather obvious) similarities between Bing and Windows Phone's strategies and that of XBox (Which I'd say paid off there... ;) )...

I had assumed when I saw the Thread title this would be one of those laughable "I'm an expert on the industry" blog posts by yet another nit wit...

Your signature is truly ironic right at this moment...

Windows Phone...not Windows Mobile...and Bing isn't vanishing...it's growing...it has 1/3 of the search market share right now (since you have to include Yahoo and English Baidu searches) which means 1 out of every 3 searches done on the internet, is through Bing.

I wish I could fail that hard. :p

lulz I never said its vanishing. I said it Should vanish. you fail harder then i did.

and no not 1/3 searches is a bing search. just 3 main search providers are using the bing engine. Dons't mean there being used by a lot of users compared to Google

--edit

I said bing so vanish. which is not correct grammar in the first place. it was suppose to say *Bing should vanish

lulz I never said its vanishing. I said it Should vanish. you fail harder then i did.

and no not 1/3 searches is a bing search. just 3 main search providers are using the bing engine. Dons't mean there being used by a lot of users compared to Google

--edit

I said bing so vanish. which is not correct grammar in the first place. it was suppose to say *Bing should vanish

But why? The transformation that Google underwent over the last year is direct result of the pressure Bing has placed on them to adopt their more efficient way of searching. Sure, Google will deny that and say that we have been cooking those features for a long time, just waiting for the right time to release it. Regardless, if it wasn't for Bing, Google would still be the plain and boring white page with text on it. Competition is good, and Bing is giving Google the much needed competition that is has lacked since the early days when Yahoo was still a powerhouse.

Regardless of how Bing gains its market share is irrelevant as it is the core search engine itself that is what ultimately crawls the web, interprets your query, and then splits out relevant search results. Whether I use Bing homepage/browser plugin, Yahoo, Facebook, or some other Bing-powered site, their search results are just as good as Google, if not better when it comes to category-specific searches like local search, food, travel, entertainment, music, etc.

Most definitely not, because frankly, with Google suffering from Apple being patent-###### (Although that may be rectified with their acquisition of Motorola), it's required in the market to stop iOS from dominating (not brilliant for competition eh?).

Two of their new big winners are the Xbox and Kinnect - both wouldn't exist if MS were not persistent in their commitment to a new product segment. I see no reason why the same won't come of Windows Phone.

But why? The transformation that Google underwent over the last year is direct result of the pressure Bing has placed on them to adopt their more efficient way of searching. Sure, Google will deny that and say that we have been cooking those features for a long time, just waiting for the right time to release it. Regardless, if it wasn't for Bing, Google would still be the plain and boring white page with text on it. Competition is good, and Bing is giving Google the much needed competition that is has lacked since the early days when Yahoo was still a powerhouse.

Regardless of how Bing gains its market share is irrelevant as it is the core search engine itself that is what ultimately crawls the web, interprets your query, and then splits out relevant search results. Whether I use Bing homepage/browser plugin, Yahoo, Facebook, or some other Bing-powered site, their search results are just as good as Google, if not better when it comes to category-specific searches like local search, food, travel, entertainment, music, etc.

Two of their new big winners are the Xbox and Kinnect - both wouldn't exist if MS were not persistent in their commitment to a new product segment. I see no reason why the same won't come of Windows Phone.

+1 to both of these. I'm glad Microsoft isn't as short sighted as some of these "bloggers..."

And it's hard to argue that Bing as a platform, even if it doesn't have the marketshare Google has isn't a beneficial service to Microsoft... It powers a lot of things for the company and is leveraged very well. It doesn't need the market share to be a worthwhile investment for them.

I dont see why they should. Let's face it Bing is never gonna overtake Google. But its a good alternative and will make them money. Same with WP7, its not gonna beat Apple or Android. Other than the operating system MS is now looked at as a good alternative. I'm sure someone will throw IE out there as the most used browser, but its not IE9 and probably never will be.

I use Bing and WindowsPhone 7.

I miss the old google search. The plain white background with search results is what made it goolge.

Easy to fined. Right to the point. Simple to use

Still simple to use, and right to the point but Don;t care for any of the features.

All you need to know are the wild cards that make google so powerful IE * + = and so on

No, they shouldn't. Competition is always good, and why does everybody always have to be nr.1, it's never bad to have a nische.

Sure they should. But why stop with just those two. Why not shutdown their R&D branch and Office. **** it, just shut down their Windows development while their at it and call it a night. /s

--edit

Indeed, reading that post and deciphering as much of it as I did was a miracle in and of itself, so no I don't fail harder than you. I should get a medal for even understanding most of it.

Yes, 1/3 searches are a Bing search. I'm not going by how many are doing it but by the percentages reported by ComScore and other agencies that check this data.

The 1/3 searches number is a fact, not something random...so indeed you fail again. Keep trying...this is fun.

Indeed, reading that post and deciphering as much of it as I did was a miracle in and of itself, so no I don't fail harder than you. I should get a medal for even understanding most of it.

LMAO No offense to WolvesHunt, but thanks for the chuckle...

all fairness windows mobile should stick around.

Bing so vanish. No one ever say "bing it" its always "I will always ask use google before asking a stupid question*

or "Google it" , "just google it"

How do you know by 2016 that people won't be using "Bing" as a verb? I see Google going down hard!

I am looking forward to the xbox/kinnect and windows phone intergration.

If Microsoft Impliment Bing in Xbox and Windows 8 just as they have in WP7.. im sure people will start saying BING IT!!.. it a few years :)

It is being integrated with the Kinect, so it would require you to say Xbox Bing this. Plus their is gesture support.

And don't forget the Blackberry deal.

Anotherly, I personally know people who have made it's logo their avatar. :)

It is being integrated with the Kinect, so it would require you to say Xbox Bing this. Plus their is gesture support.

And don't forget the Blackberry deal.

Anotherly, I personally know people who have made it's logo their avatar. :)

I'm still searching and can't find any. :whistle:

Bing should continue to improve, it's the best competitor that Google has. The consumers need competition.

Windows Phone 7 brings some innovative ideas to the mobile market. I own one and I love it, so does most of my family. It makes a good competitor for iPhone and Android devices.

Plus WP7 is Bing centric

I have an HD7 and have never even used Bing on it. It has only ever even started when I accidentally hit the search button.