Mac OS X 10.7.1

The majority of articles I've read have called this a delta update.

Yes, this is a delta update, but it's not the first delta update Mac OS X has had in its history. Every 10.x.x release has been a delta update.

Yeah of course we always had delta updates and combo updates, both were available. For an OS big like that, you have no choice.

I?m just staggered by the size and by the number of bugs it addresses. I was expecting it to fix 100+ bugs, because : 1. There?s a lot to fix in Lion and 2. They had nearly a month and a half to fix everything, which was the time needed to make a new developer preview back then.

The best reason I can think of is they?re working hard on iCloud for the event in the beginning of September.

So we?ll have a fully functional iCloud in 10.7.2 and a few bug fixes, and a lot of bug fixes in 10.7.3. If people are scared about Lion, I suggest them to wait until 10.7.3, even though there has never been any showstopper bug.

Maybe because most of the bugs are application specific in terms of third-party applications, or will be addressed in an upcoming delta or combo update?

Combo updates, unlike delta updates, are larger and generally include applet-specific patches, replace applets, and, in some cases, add completely new drivers - the 10.6.5 Combo Update, for example, includes the Snow Leopard Graphics Update (this update was distributed alongside the 10.6.5 delta update but could be installed separately). If you need multiple delta or applet updates, combo updates, not the smaller deltas, are the safer choice (for example, I recommend, at minimum, the 10.6.7 Combo Update for those sticking with Snow Leopard, or running a dual Snow Leopard/Lion setup, as a floor). There is no 10.7.1 combo update as of yet (likely not only because 10.7.2 is already in the testing pipeline, but because this update is likely to be the first true combo update for Lion, and from what we know so far, it will not be small).

Known to be in the works for the 10.7.2 CU:

1. Major changes in regards to iTunes (mainly having to do with iTunes in the Cloud, AirTunes, and more add-ins for 10.4 x64).

2. The first (1.0) iCloud client for general consumption is due.

3. Several networking-related fixes (again, primarily due to iCloud).

4. Some kext/driver rewrites.

Maybe because most of the bugs are application specific in terms of third-party applications, or will be addressed in an upcoming delta or combo update?

Combo updates, unlike delta updates, are larger and generally include applet-specific patches, replace applets, and, in some cases, add completely new drivers - the 10.6.5 Combo Update, for example, includes the Snow Leopard Graphics Update (this update was distributed alongside the 10.6.5 delta update but could be installed separately). If you need multiple delta or applet updates, combo updates, not the smaller deltas, are the safer choice (for example, I recommend, at minimum, the 10.6.7 Combo Update for those sticking with Snow Leopard, or running a dual Snow Leopard/Lion setup, as a floor). There is no 10.7.1 combo update as of yet (likely not only because 10.7.2 is already in the testing pipeline, but because this update is likely to be the first true combo update for Lion, and from what we know so far, it will not be small).

Known to be in the works for the 10.7.2 CU:

1. Major changes in regards to iTunes (mainly having to do with iTunes in the Cloud, AirTunes, and more add-ins for 10.4 x64).

2. The first (1.0) iCloud client for general consumption is due.

3. Several networking-related fixes (again, primarily due to iCloud).

4. Some kext/driver rewrites.

In other words, as PyX said, 10.7.2 will be an iCloud update and do nothing for the existing problems that did not get fixed in .1? Brilliant.

This was a pathetic "update" and people are still having issues with the items that Apple said were fixed.

Combo updates, unlike delta updates, are larger and generally include applet-specific patches, replace applets, and, in some cases, add completely new drivers

What Apple calls a "delta update" is an update from 10.X.Y to 10.X.Y+1.

What Apple likes to call "combo updates" is in fact a delta update from 10.X.0 to the latest 10.X.Y, in other words, the combination of all the past delta updates. Since 10.7.1 is the first delta update to Lion, you will never see a combo of it, because it would be a combination of itself only.

But every update that you see in Software Update is, in literal words, a delta update, except maybe iTunes and Safari that get reinstalled and replaced as a whole.

• 2 weeks later...