The Wii Gets a Redesign

Mine just sits there, not because of the games, just because I have no darn free time at home... I love old SNES games and stuff and the new mario games where good, heck I haven't even finished them due to lack of time :(

If you really want to play SNES games on modern devices, use http://vizzed.com , not Virtual Console. Or 3D Classics, that at least has 3D without glasses, which is at least something other emulators don't...

So Nintendo is taking their cues from Sony now? New slims removed PS2 game support... And the other OS option.

New Slims? the Slim PS3 from the begging had both removed, and BC was removed from most models out before the Slim arrived.

But this is what happens when you build BC with Hardware that both Sony and Nintendo did, in the end they look at what can be removed to make it cheaper without sacrificing what needs to be there, something which MS tackled differently with Software, but of course it covered a much small number of games.

New Slims? the Slim PS3 from the begging had both removed, and BC was removed from most models out before the Slim arrived.

But this is what happens when you build BC with Hardware that both Sony and Nintendo did, in the end they look at what can be removed to make it cheaper without sacrificing what needs to be there, something which MS tackled differently with Software, but of course it covered a much small number of games.

I meant new slims as in new compared to the old fat PS3s. I thought removing BC was something that was started with the slims, I didn't know they did it with some of the fat models too.

I meant new slims as in new compared to the old fat PS3s. I thought removing BC was something that was started with the slims, I didn't know they did it with some of the fat models too.

I think it started with the 40gb, though I could be wrong there, I know I have a fat 40gb that didn't come with any PS2 BC, it was their first money cutting measure, lol.

To be fair, the hardware for the GC and the Wii is exactly the same, the Wii is simply clocked higher - so extra hardware was used to create GC compatibility. Unlike Sony, who went with an SoC approach to PS2 emulation. The only hardware extra Nintendo had to add was the GC controllers, because, well, could you really see yourself playing Gamecube games with a Wii Remote? :p

Maybe it's overall dimensions are smaller as well but as others mentioned it looks like all they did was rotate the print by 90 degrees and call it a day. Suppose they're just referring more to the internals being redesigned but it'd be nice if they changed the aesthetics it a bit, similar to what Sony/Microsoft have done.

Not to sound rude but does anyone actually use their Wii anymore? I haven't used mine in over a year and a half.

To answer your question: No.

The only games I really played at any length were virtual console games.

Most hours logged playing: Super Mario World (SNES)

Best game of all time.

Maybe it's overall dimensions are smaller as well but as others mentioned it looks like all they did was rotate the print by 90 degrees and call it a day. Suppose they're just referring more to the internals being redesigned but it'd be nice if they changed the aesthetics it a bit, similar to what Sony/Microsoft have done.

Definitely just as Width, and looks just as tall too. Length wise.... I doubt there will be a massive change if at all. There's only 2-3 inches to cut off in total really, bare in mind they have to make space for the DVD Drive :p

Not to sound rude but does anyone actually use their Wii anymore? I haven't used mine in over a year and a half.

I just bought a house so my free time has been very little lately, but once things settle I plan on using it regularly again. I've missed it terribly.

• 2 months later...

this really is silly. It is not a redesign at all. Nintendo is getting so LAZY. this first quarterly loss is well deserved to the upper management.

Perhaps the "redesign" was to prevent Homebrew from being installed?

Hm... Wasn't one of the design points of the Wii that it could stand on its side (In the stand) or horizontal? I always thought that was the case when it originally released... It's kind of a standard feature in consoles at this point regardless... :|

this really is silly. It is not a redesign at all. Nintendo is getting so LAZY. this first quarterly loss is well deserved to the upper management.

Nintendo aren't advertising it as a redesign - or even advertising as a new SKU at all. It's just a design refinement to make manufacturing cheaper, and they're not really going to make a big deal about it to consumers. It's just going phase out old Wii's rather quietly it seems.

guess i'm going to have to try and get the old Wii before they disappear, because I did have a few GC games I want to continue to play. The ability to go vertical or horizontal was/is a nice feature. I'm sure Nintendo saved all of $3 with this redesign. :rolleyes:

I do not get this redesign at all. Didn't the Nintendo Wii already sit flash? You could either chose to use the stand to stand up or lay it flat. I feel like this a real desperate to get some Wii's to sell but I feel a big fail coming from Nintendo and does not look good sadly. :/

aCvxr.gif

PRICELESS! AND A WINNING POST!

I do not get this redesign at all. Didn't the Nintendo Wii already sit flash? You could either chose to use the stand to stand up or lay it flat. I feel like this a real desperate to get some Wii's to sell but I feel a big fail coming from Nintendo and does not look good sadly. :/

It's not designed to "sell more Wii's". It's just there to save money and refine design & manufacturing, by removing the need to include the plastic stand and base, and removing GameCube controller and memory card ports, and making the package slimmer.

Like I said, Nintendo aren't advertising it as a redesign or a new SKU, they're just advertising it is a standard Wii.

Lamest redesign ever. "How can we cripple our functionality and call it a new design?"

Sony does the same thing. If you forgot how, look at the psp go, and the "slim" model ps3.

(and yes, i know that post is 2 months old)

Sony does the same thing. If you forgot how, look at the psp go, and the "slim" model ps3.

(and yes, i know that post is 2 months old)

Not quite as both those Sony redesigns were actual redesigns of the hardware as well, this seems minimal at best. Also the PSPGo wasn't a redesign, it was in fact a whole new product as they kept the UMD functioning PSP in production and still do now.

• Like 1