World's largest rodent, invades California

A capybara, the world?s largest rodent, is on the loose near Paso Robles.

On July 30, Nick Kamp, a worker at the Paso Robles sewage treatment plant, spotted the animal as it emerged from a pond. He was able to snap a few pictures of it with his cellphone before it disappeared into the Salinas River channel.

The state Department of Fish and Game has received reports of three capybara sightings in the past three years, warden Lt. Todd Tognazzini said. Capybaras are native to South America and can grow to more than 4 feet in length :blink: and weigh as much as 140 pounds.

?They have a very distinctive snout with big nostrils,? said Matt Thompson, Paso Robles wastewater program manager. ?They essentially look like huge guinea pigs.?

Tognazzini suspects that the animal was brought to the area from out of state as a pet and either escaped or was released into the wild. Some states allow capybaras to be kept as pets, but not California.

Tognazzini hopes to be able to trap the capybara and donate it to Zoo to You, a local group that keeps and displays exotic wildlife. The group has the necessary permits to keep the animal and has agreed to take it, he said.

capybara-hydrochoerushydrochaeris.jpg

more

They're quite edible, tasting quite a bit like a lean pork. They do tend to over-graze where ever they invade though, so like feral pigs they should probably be considered vermin and have a year 'round open season. In Michigan feral pigs have 'shoot on sight' status.

If you mean pigs, hell yes. They're freakin' dangerous.

During a deer hunting trip down south a friend and I were taking a break when a 450 lb boar showed up, took one look and charged us full tilt. We let fly with three 300 Mags and a 500 grain .50 cal from my T/C Hawken black powder plains rifle. The first two 300's skipped off his sloped forehead, the third hit his front leg, and the .50 disintegrated his heart & lungs. End of the charge.

The 500 grain slug was a re-tasked BRI 12 gauge shotgun sabot slug (now sold by Winchester) - a real show stopper that happens to be .50 cal and hardened lead instead of soft.

The center 2 are BRI/Winchester slugs

SlugGun_6_300x225.jpg

^ From what I've heard, you better shoot on sight because if you don't they are liberal to attack you.

I think you meant liable. :p

It can go both ways; they're liable to attack and liberal with activating their attack mode :p

Michigan pigs aren't just escaped farm pigs but decendants of Russian Eurasian Boar escaped from big game hunting preserves.

boar.jpg