Aliens may destroy humanity say scientists

yes, with our current understanding on physics and the level of our tech, such a journey would be delusional, but it is also delusional and self-inflating to assume that we know allll there is to possibly know about physics, it's laws, properties etc. but i'm sure you weren't making such an uneducated claim :cool:

The worst part of the article is where it awaits for the solution of problems like hunger, poverty and disease.

Those guys are not scientists... they should be rewriting the bible. :)

Witnesses there are, evidence there isnt, something you have yet to show. A picture, video or eye witness is not evidence.

Then by that logic, nothing exists.

Let's end court trials, since witnesses, videos, pictures, do not count.

All of History can be discounted. :rolleyes:

Then by that logic, nothing exists.

Let's end court trials, since witnesses, videos, pictures, do not count.

All of History can be discounted. :rolleyes:

An eye witness in the court of law is different then an witness in science. So if you want to talk about a witness in the sense of UFOs then that falls in the realm of science. Neil Degrasse Tyson says it best so instead of regurgitating watch the video for the main point Im getting at. You make silly comments a lot about time travelers, aliens and dimensional beings but never post any evidence. If something is presented it usually boils down to nothing more then a person who was told this or person A knows person B who heard it from person X who claims to be part alien. Not once has anything been presented that stands on its own merit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfAzaDyae-k

But if you truly want to get technical, there is a good chance that a good portion of our history in "aspects" is some what distorted to a degree. For much of human history, word of mouth (the telephone game) and eye/ear witness has been the main tool for sharing information. Given we all know the affects of the telephone game, its easy to see how aspects of history might not be fully true. That doesnt mean total events are wrong just aspect about them could be. That doesnt mean all of history either but one has to accept that its a very real possibility that parts of history are wrong and we just dont know it nor will we ever.

Witnesses there are, evidence there isnt, something you have yet to show. A picture, video or eye witness is not evidence.

Tell that to the legal system ;)

Edit - I see that you addressed that point later on.

It still stands. After all, all we have is a persons word unless it is demonstrated to us point blank right in front of us, and even then all we have is our own poor senses to either verify or deny the data.

Tell that to the legal system ;)

I took care of that in the post up one. Again the world of law is different then the world of science. If a guy went into the court room and said he was an eye witness to being on a space ship that went back and forth through time or watched it travel at the speed of light, he would be laughed out of the court room. His first hand account wouldnt mean jack without hard evidence. Again its two different worlds here when its comes to a "witness" law vs science.

It still stands. After all, all we have is a persons word unless it is demonstrated to us point blank right in front of us, and even then all we have is our own poor senses to either verify or deny the data.

That's why I posted the video, NDT makes the point very clear. If you see a UFO, well its unidentified, there is no way to tell what it is or where it came from. Yet a lot of people like to jump to "alien" when the whole point of unidentified makes that suggestion moot. Add the fact that senses are very easy to not only fool but not always accurate as well. Someone could have very well seen something but that something is just that a thing that is unidentified. As for those that claim to have encounters should be met with skepticism first. They are the ones that usually try to sell you a book of their story. Every aspect of the ufo/alien community always ends up with people who say some"thing", know someone who saw/did something, or some other similar aspect but never have anything more then whats already out there. Yet whats already out there is nothing more then crappy pics/videos or wild stories but never once has anyone brought something back that defies explanation.

But as of now, we know that they are not capable, if they do exist... otherwise they would have traveled here.

We don't know that; there's no way anyone can be certain of that. They may have the ability to travel here, but they may feel they have no reason to. Why visit somewhere that could be unsafe if there is no reason to? They may have the ability to travel here, but not yet know anything about Earth or its inhabitants. These are wonderings no human on Earth knows the answers to.

What exactly makes it more likely? I dont doubt aliens exist but whether or not they can or have traveled here is completely different then just existing. Something like Yellowstone is far more real then visiting aliens.

It's just a matter of probability. Considering how large the universe is, it's more likely that aliens exist than God (it's likely God is a made up character; but an alien isn't a made up character). Due to it being more likely that aliens exist than God, it's more likely they could travel here than God existing. That's the way I view it. I'm not sure what Yellowstone is so I used the example of God due to your original comment.

Yes yes we know its a really big area, astronomically large - pardon the pun, but distance only matters according to your tech. before we made it to the moon, it was thought impossible to reach. Once our tech got to the point where we could make the journey it was no longer "to far" it's about scale of tech.

Study Relativity then come back to this thread

Study Relativity then come back to this thread

the "theory of relativity" (yes its still called theory of, not law of) is based on *known* physics and as I said, we don't know everything there is to know about it, which is why it's still theory of. interestingly enough, Einstein used the term relativity for a reason - he understood that everything is relative to everything else, observable and unobservable alike and since we don't know everything there is to know, those unknown factors, while they play a role, we can't always observe their effects directly so he/we have to extrapolate from what we can observe. that understanding is still present, which is why it's still called the theory of, not law of.

understand this and YOU may come back to the thread :rofl:

on a side note, theoretical physicists now believe that space travel over such distances would likely not be FTL (faster than light travel) but folding of space-time. Such a process is mathematically probable according to our current understanding. I always find it interesting how people love to throw around E=mc2 regarding space travel when they don't understand what it actually says. That's the difference between those who actually understand science, and those who think they do. That theory describes properties of matter and energy under strict conditions, a set of factors if you will, change even one of those factors slightly and the rules "appear" to change. That's what relative really means, relative to factors and those factor's properties at a given time. so if anything were to change within those factors, it's now relative to the new conditions. This is why new theories like quantum mechanics and M theory have come about that are now considered in the equation, because the basic E=mc2 doesn't always work out to explain observed behaviors - behaviors that Einstein himself didn't totally understand and he contributed to the birth of quantum mechanics which when you get into the fine details, actually tends to contradict parts of general relativity.

Another thing to consider is, unless an alien civilization is near by (in astronomical terms) they may not even know we exist or that Earth even has life on it yet*. Considering our existence is a mere blip on this planet, someone far away looking back at us could easily miss us (perhaps they think Dinosaurs rule the Earth still or that the planet hasn't even formed yet etc).

To the topic at hand, well it's possible that any aliens that come to visit us may be hostile (even Steven Hawkins believes we should keep our heads down). I mean we only have to look at ourselves, if you look at our past we voyage to "new lands" to conquer and pillage for resources and I find it hard to believe an alien civilization would spend the resources and time to travel here just to say hello, I mean they'd have to be getting something out of it (whether that be peaceful trade for resources or perhaps conquest of our planet). Well that is only what I think, take with a grain of salt.

* That is another thing to consider for the people who claim we are the only intelligent life in the universe. While yes, we have found no evidence of life and while there have been plenty of potential life bearing planets they were never quiet right, thing is those planets as we see them now are in the past (millions if not billions of years ago), right now they could home to advanced civilizations but we'll never know for another million/billion years when the light from this time [there] finally reaches us here. I'm not saying there are advanced civilizations on any of those planets, just that I wouldn't dismiss them because nothing on them now as alot can happen over a few millions years (we showed up over a relatively short time frame). Just food for thought.

Another thing to consider is, unless an alien civilization is near by (in astronomical terms) they may not even know we exist or that Earth even has life on it yet*. Considering our existence is a mere blip on this planet, someone far away looking back at us could easily miss us (perhaps they think Dinosaurs rule the Earth still or that the planet hasn't even formed yet etc).

To the topic at hand, well it's possible that any aliens that come to visit us may be hostile (even Steven Hawkins believes we should keep our heads down). I mean we only have to look at ourselves, if you look at our past we voyage to "new lands" to conquer and pillage for resources and I find it hard to believe an alien civilization would spend the resources and time to travel here just to say hello, I mean they'd have to be getting something out of it (whether that be peaceful trade for resources or perhaps conquest of our planet). Well that is only what I think, take with a grain of salt.

* That is another thing to consider for the people who claim we are the only intelligent life in the universe. While yes, we have found no evidence of life and while there have been plenty of potential life bearing planets they were never quiet right, thing is those planets as we see them now are in the past (millions if not billions of years ago), right now they could home to advanced civilizations but we'll never know for another million/billion years when the light from this time [there] finally reaches us here. I'm not saying there are advanced civilizations on any of those planets, just that I wouldn't dismiss them because nothing on them now as alot can happen over a few millions years (we showed up over a relatively short time frame). Just food for thought.

You raise a valid point, we can't view other planets outside our solar system in real time do to the distance. also there's a possibility that they may in fact be so alien, we might miss them entirely and them us.

warp drive needs to be invented quickly.

Indeed. It would be pretty neat to meet an alien... I'm just hoping they're friendly...

And in the movies, sometimes they put passengers in suspended animation or whatever too. So maybe the solution isn't so much going faster as it is preparing for a very long journey... lol

Seeing us as a threat cause we're polluting our atmosphere and destroying us is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. Have they run out of reasons to get us to clean up the environment? Humans will never be able to leave this planet and travel the galaxy because we can't get our heads out of our asses long enough to realize there are more important things than iPods, reality TV and what the latest group of worthless, piece of trash politicians are shoving down our throats.

Its no more rediculous than any other idea which hasn't been realized. I thought everyone knew this one from The Day the Earth stood still. And its fun to think about.

And that was before these climate change symposium got so much attention.

How do you know?

How do you not know?

And if aliens dont exist....explain Lady Gaga...............;) I rest my case he/she (whatever he/she is)cannot be human :p