HP TouchPad fire sale 99$ CAD

Even at $99 I don't care to buy a tablet that has been discontinued. You guys rock. :D

If your only reason is because it's discontinued, why not? HP will still be providing software updates, and if you fancy something different on there, there's already a team called "TouchDroid" working on getting Android to work on the TouchPad. :) They're only doing Gingerbread (2.3) at the moment. Once they've succeeded with that, they said they'll be moving onto Honeycomb (3.0), the one designed for tablets. :)

Even at $99 I don't care to buy a tablet that has been discontinued. You guys rock. :D

The $99 HP TouchPad Is an Amazing Deal, No Matter What Your Nerd Friends Tell You

The HP TouchPad for $99 seems too good to be true. "It is," your nerd friend will tell you. "It'll never get software updates. There won't be new apps for it. It's a dead platform. Don't buy it." Screw them.

Here's the thing about your nerd friends, and most of the people writing about tech: They put too much stock in the future. What a phone or tablet will be like, after a software update. Or after the developer community finally solidifies and rallies around it, building new apps to breathe life into something that might have come out a little stillborn or premature. Blame the new software culture of gadgets. What matters, though, is what something is like right now. And the TouchPad now is kind of a perfect throwback to what it was like when gadgets didn't change. They came out, and they were what they were. It's a gadget that is what it is, and will always be that, and nothing more.

And the bottom line is that the TouchPad, right now, is worth $99. Even if it never sees another ounce of code added to it, a gadget whose software soul is forever frozen in August 2011. This actually says it all. But I'll elaborate.

The TouchPad is the second best tablet you can buy, at any pricepoint. It nailed all the big ideas about what a tablet should feel like. Multitasking and notifications. Super integrated messaging. Details like an adjustable keyboard. And it's even better than when I reviewed it, thanks to the update a few weeks ago, which worked out a lot of the speed issues.

Which is dandy, but not the main point. It's that for $99, the TouchPad can do a lot of awesome stuff. It's a Kindle. For cheaper than an actual Kindle. It's got a killer Instapaper app, PaperMache. Those two things cover like 80 percent of what I do with a $500 tablet. And they're vastly nicer than any of the Android counterparts. It's got a decent Facebook app. You can slap Epicurious on it and use it as a kitchen beater tablet for cooking with. (Or as an emergency carving board.) You can rip TV shows and watch them. And the stock apps for browsing the web and email? They're pretty solid. A cheap couch tablet for dicking around the internet while watching TV. It does basically everything you'd want a tablet to do, and pretty goddamn well, even if it never grows a single new feature after today.

Oh yeah, it does all of that (well!) and it's ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. Not $500 or $400, like a lot other non-iPad tablets that suck. Or, to put it another way: I'll take a dead TouchPad over any living Android tablet in existence.

P.S. Check your local Best Buy?they're your best shot at snagging one now.

Source: Gizmodo

According to this dixonsPR guy on twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/MarkWebb_Dixons

Dixons.co.uk: HP Touchpad SALE, Limited Stock online from later today. ?89 for the 16gb and ?115 for the 32gb

And for currys/PC world

Currys & PC World stores: HP Touchpad SALE CONFIRMED FROM TUESDAY AM, Limited Stock ?89 for the 16gb and ?115 for the 32gb

I wont have the cash for one till Friday, am cry :(

I have been looking at one since I heard about the price drop and started looking around at specs and functionallity. I took a look at the engadget review for it and may keep my ?90.

No doc editing, apps crashing, just looks flakey and to think people parted with $400+ for this ;(

For anyone still looking for one. I compiled a bookmark bar folder yesterday comprising of 71 sites still selling at full price. But that was yesterday. Some of these are already dead like "newegg".

I was going to use this list today. But last night I snagged 3 on BN so I won't need it anymore.

Enjoy!

bookmarks.zip

According to this dixonsPR guy on twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/MarkWebb_Dixons

Dixons.co.uk: HP Touchpad SALE, Limited Stock online from later today. ?89 for the 16gb and ?115 for the 32gb

And for currys/PC world

Currys & PC World stores: HP Touchpad SALE CONFIRMED FROM TUESDAY AM, Limited Stock ?89 for the 16gb and ?115 for the 32gb

I wont have the cash for one till Friday, am cry :(

Thanks for the find, Mart! :) I'm in a similar boat to you; I wouldn't have the money for it until Wednesday, but I rang up my mum at work just now and told her all about it, as she's been looking on eBay for a new laptop for my brother as he's starting uni next month, and if we could get him a TouchPad instead, it'd be a huge money saver. The only real downside is it doesn't have any document editing apps at the moment, but HP announced they'd be bringing it in a later update, and there's also a third-party app called Picsel Smart Office which is coming to the TouchPad soon, so that would seal the deal. :) If dad says yes to it, as it would mean tapping into their overdraft as they don't get paid until the weekend, then that would mean me and my brother will hopefully get one each (if we can find two in stock :p ); his as an A-Level results gift, and I'd pay for mine on Wednesday as another birthday present to myself, along with the digital camera I'm also buying off a friend on Wednesday. :p

Thanks for the find, Mart! :) I'm in a similar boat to you; I wouldn't have the money for it until Wednesday, but I rang up my mum at work just now and told her all about it, as she's been looking on eBay for a new laptop for my brother as he's starting uni next month, and if we could get him a TouchPad instead, it'd be a huge money saver. The only real downside is it doesn't have any document editing apps at the moment, but HP announced they'd be bringing it in a later update, and there's also a third-party app called Picsel Smart Office which is coming to the TouchPad soon, so that would seal the deal. :) If dad says yes to it, as it would mean tapping into their overdraft as they don't get paid until the weekend, then that would mean me and my brother will hopefully get one each (if we can find two in stock :p ); his as an A-Level results gift, and I'd pay for mine on Wednesday as another birthday present to myself, along with the digital camera I'm also buying off a friend on Wednesday. :p

I did have the money but I lent it to my dad at weekend because he was short on cash till he gets paid this Friday. I've always loved Web OS I'm not too bothered that there might be android builds coming to it. Just a shame they will mostly be bought by scalpers who will then resell them on eBay for more than what they paid for them.

Good luck finding some.

I think the scalpers might be out of luck. The TouchPad didn't even sell that well from Woot at the price, so there's a pretty strong indication people are willing to buy it at $100, but not much more. I'd expect them to have to settle at almost no profit.

That was quick, all sold out already. Tried reserving one but none in stock around my area. Gutted.

Yep, no luck in my area, either. :( None in stock at Currys, 3 in stock at PC World but only at the full price, and I can't reserve them online. :(

Probably gonna have to buy one off a scalper, or maybe a second-hand one from someone who doesn't like it. Let's hope it's a similar story to what migo said is happening over at Woot.

Id pay up to ?130 for one but not a penny more. I have a feeling the scalpers will try and be silly and list them at ?200.

Was just reading the hotukdeals.com thread and people are reserving like 5-6 at a time just to sell on ebay, disgusting behavior.

Currys / PC World / Dixons / Best Buy near me have all been out of stock since last night.

For ?90 - ?120 I'd have probably have picked one up. But given I'm possibly gonna get an Amazon tablet, I'd have only ended up giving it to a relative anyways, so I guess I've saved money.

Hey, you could go to Ebay or Kijiji and look at all the crazy people trying to cash-in in the madness.

Want a TouchPad bad enough to pay $250 or more for the 16Gb version? Or even $350 for the 32Gb version? Well now is your chance! Go to Ebay and have fun!

Did it turn into gold?

Same.

They sold out before my order got processed.

Anyone know of any left? :\

Also, thanks for all the info from various people in this thread :)

I ordered one from Buy.com which was listing at $399 hoping they would lower the price after the fact. I just finished talking to them and they told me they'd refund $300 to me. Then I had also bought it from OnSale in the Amazon store, which hasn't shipped yet (the Buy.com order already shipped). A guy at work says he'll buy the second one off me for $199 so I basically got one for free :D Of course, that is if the OnSale one ships OK.

My order from Barnes and Nobles got cancelled :(.

IF ANYONE HAS A 32GB or 16GB please tell me! I dont want no ****ty ebay prices but if you are fair Ill buy it from you. This is going out too all the people that bought more then 1.

I ordered one from Buy.com which was listing at $399 hoping they would lower the price after the fact. I just finished talking to them and they told me they'd refund $300 to me.

I'll give that a try too.

During check out at Buy.com, they MADE me buy "FREE CA Anti-Virus Plus Anti-Spyware 6 Month Subscription "DOWNLOAD"" in which they'll bill me in 6 months? WTF kind of bull sht is that? I put in a cancel request on it... how stupid is that, though.

No they are all sold out everywhere. Ive been trying since yesterday morning, by the time you hear about a shop with stock its already sold out.

the idiots trying to resell these for retail prices don't seem to get it. there wasn't a demand for these devices before - thats why hp pulled out and threw up the firesale. the demand is there now only because they're dirt cheap. just wait a few weeks for these people to drop the prices to more realistic levels (eg ~$150) when they find out what HP found out - they can't sell them for ~$300

My OnSale order (through Amazon) still shows "shipping soon" as of 10:17EST.

ive been reading on slickdeals that there were something like 40k orders through OnSale so i'm afraid that i wont get one. the deal went live around 5:15PM EST on sunday and i bought mine at 7:45PM EST. little-to-no chance of mine actually shipping.

oh well, it's just a toy...