HP TouchPad fire sale 99$ CAD

I'm going to post a message I saw on slick deals by a member named geminiosiris that got buried pretty fast. I agree with everything this guy says. I was saying it before I even read it. The one thing I will say Is I do think it was wrong of onsale to ship first to people who had the fastest shipping. Shame on them. Other than that. Have a read.

long time lurker, first time poster.

Asides from myself, how many people can claim to have been through every post since Friday? Why is this so addicting? I wake up reading this forum, sit at work constantly checking it(productivity is non-existent at the moment!), and lay in bed before I go to sleep reading it.

There are no words to describe what I have witnessed the past 4 days on this deal.

No one should have had to call, email or visit a place they ordered one from. Everything has been updated in the wiki pretty quickly. Reading postings for 3 minutes gives you an update on almost every vendor that participated in the sales.

I found out about this deal on Saturday morning. I read through all of the most current posts, learned what I needed to know to get ONE and it arrived today. Everything you needed to know about getting one was posted in the wiki or a quick peek at the posts would have told you how. I realize at no point was it easy to get one, but come on, you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Do you not realize that when you call one of these vendors, that has a fully staffed customer service department, you are one of 60,000 people calling at the same time? A staff of 500 could not handle you and 60,000 others calling 5 times a day. None of these businesses are staffed to handle an onslaught of orders and inquiries.

A run of the mill mail server, dedicated to email at one of these smaller places, can not send 60,000 emails all at once. The machine would be lucky to get 1000 an hour out to everyone.

Everyone basically flash mobbed these places multiple times with no disregard. Servers went down, phones systems went down and places generally had a really bad weekend. If someone yelled party at your house on Facebook/Twitter and 15,000 people showed up, it would be unmanageable. This is all new for people and vendors. Communication moves so quickly now that many times it is completely out of our control. Vendors will never be able to handle this type of mob ordering any more than you will ever come up with a plan to handle the 15000 people in your front yard wanting to know where to party is at.

Many of these small companies had to hire a lot of additional staff to process orders and respond to emails/calls on a product where they had near a 0% profit margin. Most places are NOT making money selling you the Touchpad. They are incurring substantial costs to send them out to you, hire additional staff and make sure it gets to you as soon as possible.

The only thing worse than the badly handled disbursement/sale of these Touchpads by HP, is everyone's reaction to not getting them. When it is all said and done, maybe 25% of those that placed orders will actually get anything.

No one forced you to give your credit/debit card to any of these sites. They have authorized your card and will not charge you until your item ships. It is illegal to charge/post a transaction if your item has not shipped. That is why all OnSale orders still show shipping soon. They will change it to shipped once you ship. OnSale will then get credit from Amazon for your order. Amazon can not pay OnSale until OnSale ships it. I am a large seller of books on Amazon, I know, trust me. Authorizations are held for a specific duration by your bank based on the transaction. HP/Amazon/OD, etc. can not release an authorization. They can only refund a posted transaction to your account.

I know that communication works because everyone can bring down a server or phone system in 1 minute flat. However, when someone posts answers to your questions, everyone seems to ignore them.

Finding "Slick Deals" is about doing your due diligence and relishing in the work you put in to achieve that deal. The "work" is researching what you need to know from those generous enough to post in the forums and wiki.

Thank you to the OP and those who provided the information I needed to get a Touchpad with NO cancellations, sitting on hold for 6 hours, or annoying anyone. The wealth of information the people post on here is great! I wish people could learn to use it to their advantage.

I just stopped by the bestbuy near me for lunch at work, none :cry: going to stop by the one near home after work.. I don't have high hopes..

I knew I should of ordered more than one when I had the chance. My wife is in love with it even though she said she would see no use in a tablet and now; I occasionally get to use it. If I can't find one soon I may just buckle and purchase one off of Craigslist.. :-(

What is System Direct, I'm not familiar with them.

A website. It was in that bookmark file I posted of 72 sites that we selling it.. I basically started calling every website that had it out of stock, this site put me on his list. Then called me twice with.an update. They said they were selling it for $50 above sale price. So I got the 32gb version for 214 shipped.

what are the chances HP will release more on their site?

I can't image waiting in line @ Best Buy in the AM for one of these. I did it years ago for a damn Wii and swore I wouldn't do it again.

what are the chances HP will release more on their site?

I can't image waiting in line @ Best Buy in the AM for one of these. I did it years ago for a damn Wii and swore I wouldn't do it again.

Zero.

It is discontinued, any stock that was left has been sold.

Zero.

It is discontinued, any stock that was left has been sold.

I just read this on another site and was curious

TOUCHPAD AVAILABILITY UPDATE: HP says that there are shipments coming, and that they will continue to manufacture the Touchpads through the end of September. Unfortunately, no one is very forthcoming with hard numbers, but it does sound like plenty of these will be available. They just aren't making any promises as to exactly when and how many will be distributed at a time.

Just received an email from HP stating that it will be at least a few weeks before they have a limited quantity available again.

http://p.p0.com/YesC...&msgVersion=web

Yes, someone is getting greedy now!!!! ;(

Full text is as follows:

spacer.gif Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in the HP TouchPad and webOS. The overwhelming demand for this product in recent days has made it difficult to fulfill your request at the present time, and we are working to make more available as soon as possible. While we do not yet have specific details, we know it will be at least a few weeks before we have a limited quantity available again. We will keep you informed as we have more specifics that we can communicate, and we encourage you to join the conversation here for the latest information.

In light of this and other recent HP news, we want you to know that we remain committed to you. We will continue to honor our warranties now and in the future. We will continue delivering products that make a difference in your life and we will continue to provide the best possible service to you every day.

We are grateful for your patience and loyalty and to show our gratitude, we are offering you an exclusive one-time opportunity to save an additional amount on all of our products, valid through the end of the day tomorrow, Wednesday, August 31, 2011. You'll save 25% off all printers, ink, HP accessories, and PCs starting at or above $599. To take advantage of this offer, use your unique coupon code 1761456424 at checkout, and for more information on the details of this offer, please look at the bottom of this email.

Sincerely,

hpdirect.com

Yes, someone is getting greedy now!!!! ;(

Full text is as follows:

[/size][/font][/color]

I got the same email. Kinda makes me wonder if this was a marketing strategy to sell them?