2012 Silly Season

Williams confirms Maldonado for 2012, with Bottas staying on as a reserve

The Williams team has confirmed Pastor Maldonado will enter his second season in Formula 1 with the team next year.

The Venezuelan made his debut with the Grove-based squad in 2011 and was expected to continue with the team, in a move that was confirmed by Williams on Thursday evening.

"I am delighted to be able to continue with Williams into my second season and I will give my very best to help the team as we push to return to the front of the grid," he said. "This has been a tough season for the whole team but it has given me personally the opportunity to learn and develop.

"I am convinced that the steps we have taken to improve our competitiveness will bear fruit in 2012 and beyond. I am thrilled to be part of that and also to represent the people of Venezuela in Formula 1."

Team boss Frank Williams added: "Pastor has proven this year that he is not only quick but also that he is able to maintain a consistent and strong race pace. Pastor has been responsible for all of our forays into Q3 in 2011 and his race at Monaco was outstanding.

"Pastor has also settled into the team at Williams very well, contributing strongly in the factory and with our partners. He will play a critical role in 2012 as we rebuild the team and move forward."

The team also confirmed that Valtteri Bottas will stay on as a reserve driver, while there was no news on who will partner Maldonado in 2012.

Finn Bottas will drive in 15 Friday practice sessions during the upcoming season.

"I would like to thank Frank Williams and the whole team for the investment that everyone at Williams has made to help me over the past two years," said Bottas.

"The opportunity now to continue this unique development with the position of Reserve Driver will enable me to gain essential experience as part of the race team in 2012.

"In this position, I will do my utmost to help the team to set up for a great race weekend and also look forward to playing a role off the track with the team at the factory and with our partners."

Source: Autosport

Red Bull Racing

Red Bull Racing RB8 ? Renault RS27-2012

Team Principal: Christian Horner; Technical Director: Adrian Newey

1. Sebastian Vettel (on a long-term deal until '14, perhaps with options)

2. Mark Webber (re-signed for '12)

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

McLaren MP4-27 ? Mercedes FO108Z

Team Principal: Martin Whitmarsh ; Technical Director: Paddy Lowe, Neil Oatley

3. Jenson Button (contracted until '13 with option for '14)

4. Lewis Hamilton (contracted until ?12)

Scuderia Ferrari

Ferrari F2012 ? Ferrari 056

Team Principal: Stefano Domenicali ; Technical Director: Pat Fry

5. Fernando Alonso (contracted until ?16)

6. Felipe Massa (contracted until ?12, but often rumoured to leave/be replaced)

Mercedes GP Petronas F1 Team

Mercedes MGP W03 ? Mercedes FO108Z

Team Principal: Ross Brawn ; Technical Director: Bob Bell

7. Michael Schumacher (contracted until ?12)

8. Nico Rosberg (on a multi-year deal beyond '13)

Lotus Renault GP (chassis name change announced; nothing about 'Team Lotus' moniker, though)

Lotus 129 ? Renault RS27-2012 (changed from 'Renault ? Renault')

Team Principal: Eric Boullier ; Technical Director: James Allison

9. Vitaly Petrov (contracted until '12)

10. Kimi R?ikk?nen (contracted until '13)

Sauber F1 Team

Sauber C31 ? Ferrari 056

Team Principal: Peter Sauber ; Technical Director: James Key

11. Kamui Kobayashi (confirmed)

12. Sergio P?rez (confirmed; on a multi-year contract)

Sahara Force India F1 Team (team partly sold to Sahara India Pariwar group)

Force India VJM05 ? Mercedes FO108Z

Team Principal: Vijay Mallya ; Technical Director: Mark Smith

14. Paul di Resta (current driver; likely to stay on)

15. Nico H?lkenberg (current third driver; oft rumoured to move up to a race seat; all but confirmed himself on the BBC's F1 Forum)

Adrian Sutil (current driver; may he stay on for a sixth (!) season?)

Scuderia Toro Rosso (new sponsor CEPSA and it's parent company rumoured to buy into the team)

Toro Rosso STR7 ? Ferrari 056

Team Principal: Franz Tost ; Technical Director: Giorgio Ascanelli

17. Jaime Alguersuari (current driver; rumoured to be staying on)

16. S?bastien Buemi (current driver, rumoured to be dumped for either Vergne or Ricciardo)

Jean-?ric Vergne (STR's Friday test driver; allegedly gets the nod over Ricciardo)

Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull test driver being prepared at HRT)

AT&T Williams

Williams FW34 ? Renault RS27-2012

Team Principal: Adam Parr ; Technical Director: Mike Coughlan

18. Rubens Barrichello (current driver; may be forced to look elsewhere; team's #2 choice)

Adrian Sutil (moves on from Spyker/Midland/Force India after five (!) season, and brings Medion/Lenovo money; allegedly team's #3 choice; it appears to be Williams or nothing for Sutil)

19. Pastor Maldonado (contracted for '12)

Caterham F1 Team (team and chassis name changed from 'Team Lotus'; AirAsia title sponsorship expected)

Caterham C1 ? Renault RS27-2012 (changed from 'Lotus ? Renault')

Team Principal: Tony Fernandes ; Technical Director: Mike Gascoyne

20. Heikki Kovalainen (confirmed by Fernandes via Twitter on September 11th)

21. Jarno Trulli (confirmed for '12)

HRT F1 Team

HRT F112 ? Cosworth CA2012 (allegedly interested in a supply of Renault engines)

Team Principal: Collin Kolles ; Technical Director: Jacky Eeckelaert

22. Pedro de la Rosa (contracted for '12)

23. Vitantonio Liuzzi (current driver; states he has a long-term contract)

Daniel Ricciardo (current driver)

Giedo van der Garde (rumoured, through Alejandro Agag... and a bag of McGregor money)

Marussia F1 Team

Marussia MR-03 ? Cosworth CA2012

Team Principal: John Booth ; Technical Director: Pat Symonds

24. Timo Glock (contract until '14)

25. Charles Pic (contracted for '12)

Mercedes adds AMG moniker to Formula 1 team name

Mercedes-Benz will race as 'Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula 1 Team' during the 2012 season, the car maker announced on Monday.

AMG is the performance brand of Mercedes-Benz and it has been for more than 40 years.

"Our new team name fuses the proud traditions of AMG and the Mercedes-Benz Silver Arrows at the pinnacle of motorsport," said Mercedes' motorsport boss Norbert Haug.

"These three letters are synonymous with high technology, sporting performance and excitement and this step is a further strong sign of the strategic commitment Mercedes-Benz has made to Formula 1. Sixteen of the 24 drivers on the grid at the season's final Grand Prix in Brazil have, or have had, a connection to Mercedes-Benz.

"In addition to the role of a works team, our commitment to Formula 1 comprises the customer engine programme and supply of the official Safety and Medical Cars."

Team Principal Ross Brawn added: "We are very proud to reveal our new team name today. It adds another strong performance element to our team's identity and, by virtue of being shared between Brackley and Brixworth, will forge even stronger links within our team.

"At the factory, we have been focused for some time on the challenge of 2012, and our very clear ambition to move forward up the grid next year. As always, the winter development and manufacturing processes are a trade-off between time for finding performance in the factory, and time for delivering that performance during pre-season testing.

"We believe that the decision to run the car at the second winter test is the optimum compromise for our design and development programme with F1 W03."

Romain Grosjean joins Kimi Raikkonen at Lotus Renault for 2012

Romain Grosjean will make a Formula 1 comeback next season after Renault opted to hand the Frenchman a seat alongside Kimi Raikkonen in 2012.

Following intense speculation over the past couple of weeks about the second seat at Renault, the Enstone-based outfit announced early on Friday that Grosjean will replace Vitaly Petrov.

The news, which comes on the back of the soon-to-be-renamed Lotus team causing a stir by signing Raikkonen, also ensures that the outfit keeps hold of major oil and petrol sponsor Total.

"I am thrilled to be one of the team's race drivers in 2012," Grosjean said. "There's a big grin on my face at the prospect of getting behind the wheel of next year's car, and I feel very privileged to be given this opportunity.

"To be racing alongside a former world champion and someone who is hungry and returning to Formula 1 will be a great experience, and I'm sure will help raise my level of performance too. I feel that my successful season in GP2 Series has helped me mature a lot, and I am a much more complete driver than I was last time I was competing in this sport.

"Returning to Enstone as a race driver feels like coming home. I will not disappoint and I wish to thank all the people without whom this return to F1 would not have been possible. Total, which supports me since 2006, and Gravity Sport Management, are first on this list."

Renault owner Gerard Lopez added: "Only last week I reiterated that the team is at the start of a brand new cycle.

"Announcing Romain as our race driver alongside Kimi is great news and will help us achieve our aims of getting back to the very top. The announcements we made today and last week are exciting ones for our team and there is a real buzz surrounding us now."

Grosjean's return to F1 comes at the expense of Petrov, whose future at the team had been in doubt ever since he launched an amazing outburst against the outfit after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

The Russian had been given several days to decide what he wanted to do with his future, but in the end Renault announced that it was handing Grosjean the place.

The news also means that Bruno Senna, who has raced for Renault since the Belgian Grand Prix, must find an alternative drive in 2012 if he wants to continue in F1.

Team principal Eric Boullier, who has pushed hard for Grosjean to be given another F1 chance, is confident the GP2 Series champion will do a good job next year - as he also wished Petrov and Senna good luck.

"We were impressed when he drove for us in the first practice sessions in Abu Dhabi and Brazil," he said. "We are confident that drafting him in to one of our driver's seats will help us in our rebuilding process. I would like to thank Vitaly Petrov and Bruno Senna for their contribution to the team's performance this year and I wish them all the best for the future."

Red Bull Racing

1. Sebastian Vettel (on a long-term deal through ?14, perhaps with options)

2. Mark Webber (re-signed for ?12)

3. Jenson Button (contracted through ?13 with option for ?14)

4. Lewis Hamilton (contracted through ?12)

Scuderia Ferrari

5. Fernando Alonso (contracted through ?16)

6. Felipe Massa (contracted through ?12, but often rumoured to leave/be replaced)

Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Mercedes F1 W03 ? Mercedes FO108Z

7. Michael Schumacher (contracted until '12)

8. Nico Rosberg (on a multi-year deal beyond ?13)

Lotus F1 Team

Lotus 129 ? Renault RS27-2012 (changed from ?Renault ? Renault?)

9. Kimi R?ikk?nen (contracted through '13)

10. Romain Grosjean (confirmed for '12; managed by Eric Boullier/GenII; may get the seat until Kubica's possible return)

Robert Kubica (Boullier: "we?ll help as much as we can [with] A programme composed of simulator testing, single-seater and F1 track time"; possibly rejoins team mid-season)

11. Paul di Resta (current driver; likely to stay on)

12. Nico H?lkenberg (current third driver; oft rumoured to move up to a race seat; all but confirmed himself on the BBC?s F1 Forum)

Sauber F1 Team

Sauber C31 ? Ferrari 056

14. Kamui Kobayashi (confirmed)

15. Sergio P?rez (confirmed; on a multi-year contract)

Scuderia Toro Rosso (new sponsor CEPSA and it?s parent company rumoured to buy into the team)

16. S?bastien Buemi (current driver, rumoured to be dumped for either Vergne or Ricciardo)

17. Jaime Alguersuari (current driver; rumoured to be staying on)

Jean-?ric Vergne (STR?s Friday test driver; allegedly gets the nod over Ricciardo)

Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull test driver being prepared at HRT)

AT&T Williams

18. Rubens Barrichello (current driver; may be forced to look elsewhere)

Adrian Sutil (moves on from Spyker/Midland/Force India after five (!) season, and brings Medion/Lenovo money; it appears to be Williams or nothing for Sutil)

Vitaly Petrov (contracted to Lotus/Renault through ?12; may opt for Williams because of Kubica's possible return)

19. Pastor Maldonado (confirmed)

Caterham F1 Team (team and chassis name changed from ?Team Lotus?; AirAsia title sponsorship expected)

Caterham C1 ? Renault RS27-2012 (changed from ?Lotus ? Renault?)

21. Jarno Trulli (confirmed for ?12)

Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull junior driver rumoured for Caterham)

HRT F1 Team

HRT F112 ? Cosworth CA2012 (allegedly interested in a supply of Renault engines)

22. Pedro de la Rosa (confirmed for ?12)

Narain Karthikeyan (?11 race driver)

Daniel Ricciardo (current driver)

Giedo van der Garde (rumoured, through Alejandro Agag... and a bag of McGregor money)

J?r?me d'Ambrosio (rumoured; brings sponsorship)

Marussia F1 Team

24. Timo Glock (contract through ?14)

Vitaly Petrov (rumoured in Russian media; was contracted to Lotus/Renault through ?12; opted not to continue, likely because of Kubica's position)

25. Charles Pic (confirmed)

Ricciardo, Vergne to race for Toro Rosso in 2012 Formula 1 season

Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne will race for the Toro Rosso team in the 2012 Formula 1 season, the team has announced.

The news means the duo will replace Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari.

Toro Rosso said the decision to replace its current drivers was taken in conjunction with Red Bull.

It will be the first time since the team's 2006 debut that it will begin the year with an all new line-up.

"I am pleased that we have been able to reach an early decision on our drivers for next year, because it means we can all give our full attention to 2012, without any distractions," said team boss Franz Tost.

"Over the past year, both Daniel and Jean-Eric have proved their worth and I expect them to make a significant contribution to the team's performance next year. Daniel has the benefit of having actually raced in Grands Prix for much of this year, while Jean-Eric proved he could adapt quickly to the demands of driving a Formula 1 car.

"As they have both worked with the team and its engineers very recently, this should allow us to get up to speed right from the start of winter testing in a couple of months time."

Tost was thankful to Buemi and Alguersuari, but said it was Toro Rosso's duty to give new drivers a chance in Formula 1.

The duo had been with the team since the 2009 season.

"I must also thank Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari for all their hard work over the past three seasons," added Tost.

"They have delivered some excellent performances which have helped the team move forward and develop. We wish them well for the future.

"However, one has to remember that when Scuderia Toro Rosso was established in 2005, it was done so with the intention of providing a first step into Formula 1 for the youngsters in the Red Bull Junior Driver programme.

"It is therefore part of the team's culture to change its driver line-up from time to time in order to achieve this goal."

Australian Ricciardo, who was the team's third driver this year, made his grand prix debut with the HRT team this season, impressing with his performances alongside the more experienced Tonio Liuzzi.

"This is a really big deal for me and something I have wanted ever since I was driving for Toro Rosso on Friday mornings at the races in the first part of last season," he said.

"To be honest, I am still jumping up and down with excitement at the news. In the second half of 2011 I learned a lot from the people I worked with, racing in eleven Grands Prix and I want to thank them for the opportunity they gave me.

"I have to say that joining Scuderia Toro Rosso was always my real goal, so a big thank you to Red Bull for giving me this fantastic opportunity and now I can't wait to get to work once testing begins."

Vergne will become the third Frenchman to race in Formula 1 in 2012, alongside Virgin's Charles Pic and Lotus's Romain Grosjean.

"First of all, I must thank Red Bull for all their support so far and for believing I am ready to take on the ultimate challenge of racing in Formula 1," Vergne said.

"Christmas has come early for me this year! Having driven for them a few times this year and also testing for Red Bull Racing in Abu Dhabi, I definitely feel ready to make the move, even if I know there is a big difference between testing and actually racing.

"I enjoyed working with the guys at Toro Rosso this year and I can't wait to be part of the team for real. Sitting on the grid in Melbourne next March cannot come soon enough."

Red Bull Racing

Scuderia Ferrari

6. Felipe Massa (contracted through ?12, but often rumoured to leave/be replaced)

7. Michael Schumacher (contracted until '12)

Lotus F1 Team

10. Romain Grosjean (confirmed for '12)

11. Paul di Resta (current driver; likely to stay on)

12. Nico H?lkenberg (current third driver; oft rumoured to move up to a race seat; all but confirmed himself on the BBC?s F1 Forum)

Sauber F1 Team

Sauber C31 ? Ferrari 056

Scuderia Toro Rosso (new sponsor CEPSA and it?s parent company rumoured to buy into the team)

16. Jean-?ric Vergne (contracted for '12)

17. Daniel Ricciardo (contracted for '12)

AT&T Williams

18. Rubens Barrichello (current driver; may be forced to look elsewhere)

Adrian Sutil (moves on from Spyker/Midland/Force India after five (!) season, and brings Medion/Lenovo money; it appears to be Williams or nothing for Sutil)

Vitaly Petrov (contracted to Lotus/Renault through ?12; may opt for Williams because of Kubica's possible return)

Caterham F1 Team (team and chassis name changed from ?Team Lotus?; AirAsia title sponsorship expected)

Caterham C1 ? Renault RS27-2012 (changed from ?Lotus ? Renault?)

HRT F1 Team

Marussia F1 Team

Vitaly Petrov (rumoured in Russian media; was contracted to Lotus/Renault through ?12; opted not to continue, likely because of Kubica's position)

25. Charles Pic (confirmed for '12)

Nico Hulkenberg joins Paul di Resta in Force India's 2012 Formula 1 driver line-up

Force India has confirmed Nico Hulkenberg will join Paul di Resta in its racing driver line-up for the 2012 season.

Hulkenberg was the team's reserve driver during the 2011 season and will return to racing next year, having made his grand prix debut with the Williams team in 2010.

He replaces Adrian Sutil, the German having been expected to leave Force India for some months.

Di Resta, who enjoyed an impressive rookie season with the Silverstone-based squad this year, will compete with Force India for a second consecutive campaign.

Updated 2012 grid:

Red Bull Racing

Scuderia Ferrari

6. Felipe Massa (contracted through ?12)

7. Michael Schumacher (contracted through ?12)

Lotus F1 Team

10. Romain Grosjean (confirmed for '12; managed by Eric Boullier/GenII)

11. Paul di Resta (confirmed)

12. Nico H?lkenberg (confirmed)

Sauber F1 Team

Sauber C31 ? Ferrari 056

16. Daniel Ricciardo (confirmed; Red Bull junior driver)

17. Jean-?ric Vergne (confirmed; Red Bull junior driver)

AT&T Williams

18. Rubens Barrichello (current driver, looking for a 20th (!) F1 season)

Adrian Sutil (moves on from Spyker/Midland/Force India after 5 (!) season, and brings Medion/Lenovo money; it appears to be Williams or nothing for Sutil)

Giedo van der Garde (brings a bag of McGregor money)

Caterham F1 Team (team and chassis name changed from ?Team Lotus?)

Caterham CT01 ? Renault RS27-2012 (changed from ?Lotus ? Renault?)

HRT F1 Team

Team Principal: Luis P?rez-Sala ; Technical Director: Jacky Eeckelaert

Jaime Alguersuari (rumoured; does not have (sizeable) sponsorship though)

Marussia F1 Team

Vitaly Petrov (rumoured in Russian media; was contracted to Lotus/Renault through ?12; deal cancelled)

• 1 month later...

The Williams F1 website is experiencing technical difficulties at the moment. There is this link however: http://www.williamsf...es/bruno-senna/

Which confirms Bruno Senna as second Williams driver.

Red Bull Racing

Scuderia Ferrari

6. Felipe Massa (contracted through ?12)

7. Michael Schumacher (contracted through ?12)

Lotus F1 Team

10. Romain Grosjean (confirmed for '12; managed by Eric Boullier/GenII)

Sahara Force India F1 Team

11. Paul di Resta (confirmed)

12. Nico H?lkenberg (confirmed)

Sauber F1 Team

Sauber C31 ? Ferrari 056

Scuderia Toro Rosso

16. Daniel Ricciardo (confirmed; Red Bull junior driver)

17. Jean-?ric Vergne (confirmed; Red Bull junior driver)

Williams F1

18. Bruno Senna

Caterham F1 Team

Caterham CT01 ? Renault RS27-2012 (changed from ?Lotus ? Renault?)

HRT F1 Team

Team Principal: Luis P?rez-Sala ; Technical Director: Jacky Eeckelaert

Jaime Alguersuari (rumoured; does not have (sizeable) sponsorship though)

Marussia F1 Team

wow, I genuinely believed Williams couldn't screw up more than they did last year and now they get rid of there only experienced driver and replace him with 2 rookies. :s