Tripod & Monopod

I am looking for suggestions on a tripod and monopod to purchase.

The current tripod I have is cheap and flimsy, I had bought it originally for a smaller point and shoot camera. Now that I have a DSLR (Canon Rebel T1i), I find it's not sturdy enough especially when I have my 300mm lens attached. Other issue with it is its movement, it doesn't move smoothly or easily unless I have the grips really loose. It also still has a lot of shake from my hands and the point of the tripod is to eliminate most of the shake, but I find it's just as bad.

So what I'm looking for in a tripod:

• Something sturdy when I have the bigger lens attached and will eliminate as much camera share as possible.
  • Something that is smooth when adjusting the position of the camera.

As for the monopod, I am going to assume there really is no major differences between these?

Appreciate all responses.

If you want smooth camera adjustments then get a 3-way panhead. If you want fast, easy and smooth, get a gimbal head. But gimbals usually cost a fortune.

As for the tripod, get one that has a hook in its shaft. That way you can put some extra weight in the middle to stabilize it even more. Like your backpack for example.

Look for a carbon fibre tripod. Carbon absorbs vibrations much better than metal and it's much lighter. Always look for one that supports more than enough weight. Same goes for the head.

As far as monopod goes, there are also good and bad ones. Obviously, cheap ones won't hold the load and could easily break or bend. Nowadays many manufacturers make tripods that have one detachable leg that acts as a monopod (ie http://www.3leggedthing.com/).

All in all, don't cheap out on a tripod. If you use it a lot, then invest in something that would last you many years of abuse. If you have the money, get Gitzo.