Case closed:

+Frank B.

Case closed: ?Climategate? was manufactured

It?s not often you can actually say "case closed", but in this case it?s literally true: climatologist Michael Mann has been cleared of all wrongdoing by the Inspector General of the National Science Foundation.

Did I say "has been cleared"? I meant has been cleared once again, since there have been several investigations into his research and Dr. Mann has been cleared of all charges every single time (like here and here). All of this stemmed from the "ClimateGate" nonsense of the past couple of years, where leaked emails were taken hugely out of context by the press and climate change deniers, and used to smear scientists. Dr. Mann was at the center of the whole manufactured controversy, being the biggest target of the people who want to deny the Earth is warming up.

This latest, and hopefully last, investigation into Dr. Mann?s research (PDF) again shows he is not guilty of misconduct. A couple of the report conclusions are worth pointing out:

We found no basis to conclude that the [Climategate] emails were evidence of research misconduct or that they pointed to such evidence.

That?s clear enough, I think. They also said:

There is no specific evidence that [Mann] falsified or fabricated any data and no evidence that his actions amounted to research misconduct.

A big claim by the deniers is that researchers were using "tricks" to falsify conclusions about global warming, but the NSF report is pretty clear that?s not true. The most damning thing the investigators could muster was that there was "some concern" over the statistical methods used, but that?s not scandalous at all; there?s always some argument in science over methodology. The vague language of the report there indicates to me this isn?t a big deal, or else they would?ve been specific. The big point is that the data were not faked.

What does this mean for global warming? A lot of these attacks can be traced back to the famous "hockey stick" diagram, showing how Earth?s temperatures have been increasing rapidly in recent times. This graph is what really clinches the idea of man-made global warming, and so has been the epicenter of the manufactroversy. The fact that Dr. Mann has been cleared again, and that his data are good, shows that this graph is even more solid ? or at least is not as weak as so many would lead you to believe.

And what does this mean about "ClimateGate"? That?s clear enough: all the outrage, all the claims of fraud and fakery, were just ? haha ? hot air.

Not that this will stop or even slow down the denial machine. Politicians from the Virginia State Attorney General to members of the House of Representatives have been on what I would characterize as witch hunts. Dr. Mann has been vocal in his opposition, and I applaud him. Still, needless to say, the attacks will continue.

Here are the facts: the Earth is warming up. The rate of warming has increased in the past century or so. This corresponds to the time of the Industrial Revolution, when we started dumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Greenhouse gases warm the planet (hence the name) ? if they didn?t we?d have an average temperature below the freezing point of water. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas which is dumped into the atmosphere by humans to the tune of 30 billion tons per year, 100 times the amount from volcanoes. And finally, approximately 97% of climatologists who actually study climate agree that global warming is real, and caused by humans.

Those are simply the facts. It?s not hard to connect them, as long as you stick to reality and don?t let ideology sway you.

Source: Bad Astronomy blog at Discover Magazine

The 'hockey stick' diagram in question:

post-1302-0-08425500-1314267356.gif

lamminium

Not that this will stop or even slow down the denial machine.

Truth be told.

Jason S.

"climate change deniers" - look how the media vilifies anyone that goes against the norm.

ahhell

"Here are the facts: the Earth is warming up. The rate of warming has increased in the past century or so. This corresponds to the time of the Industrial Revolution, when we started dumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. "

bull****. The only fact listed there is that the Earth is warming up. Everything else is just speculation.

There is no proof that we are the cause of the Earth warming. It is entirely possible that it's a natural occurrence in our planet's life cycle.

Worthington

The article claims it is a fact the Earth is warming up, yet the term "global warming" was changed to "climate change". :rolleyes:

Also, I very much doubt that this "exoneration" came from impartial authorities, as the emails were available on the internet for anybody to read so they couldn't have been taken out of context.

HawkMan

The article claims it is a fact the Earth is warming up, yet the term "global warming" was changed to "climate change". :rolleyes:

Also, I very much doubt that this "exoneration" came from impartial authorities, as the emails were available on the internet for anybody to read so they couldn't have been taken out of context.

Ignorance is bliss huh ?

They changed it to climate change because the general public are idiots and don't understand that global warming can lead to colder winters, and even seemingly colder summers, though technically they're not.

Average temp is going up. Because of this, we get more rainy summers with, making it seem colder while extreme heat days can be more frequent and warmer, and the temp on average "colder" days are slightly warmer than it used to be, but the rain makes it seem less so. With the winter the average winter temp is going up. but we also get more storms, so people think winters are colder because we have the occasional weeks of extreme cold with severe snow. and people remember these more then the regular days with the same but slightly warmer average winter days. and in more northern part of the globe, the global warming around the more temperate area sis actually causing the winters to get colder. But the globe itself is getting gradually colder.

as for the constant argument that "it's a natural cycle". yeah it could be, except we know what th natural cycle of the earth is, or should be. and we're not even close to the time period where we should see warming of this degree. and coincidentally at the same time, humans are releasing more and more gasses and chemicals that are known to affect the environment. But yeah, it's probably just a coincidence and the earth, and inanimate object, just decided this was a good time to change it's cycle... :rolleyes:

That said, I'm not one of those who worry, and I won't actively reduce my carbon foot print or use less power. I live in a modern world. and we need to instead of going back in time, build more clean power. that especially includes more Nuclear, not less. At least until Fusion is up and running(which is also nuclear for the anti nuclear people) and that won't be for at the best 20-25 years. and then just the few working test reactors, further working production reactors are another 10+ years after they get the test reactors working properly and figure out the bets method.

ThePitt
Here are the facts: the Earth is warming up.
Mordkanin

"Here are the facts: the Earth is warming up. The rate of warming has increased in the past century or so. This corresponds to the time of the Industrial Revolution, when we started dumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. "

bull****. The only fact listed there is that the Earth is warming up. Everything else is just speculation.

There is no proof that we are the cause of the Earth warming. It is entirely possible that it's a natural occurrence in our planet's life cycle.

What evidence do you base this on? What studies have you performed to come to the conclusion that such an event is possibly a natural occurrence? Have you calculated what the likely effect of massive increases of greenhouse gases in the quantities of those we have produced over the past century would have on a system such as the earth? What's your background in?

DukeEsquire

What do you mean "no proof"?

The whole article is talking about how there is proof...

*confused*

Edit:

And it makes logical sense, right? CO2 in the atmosphere traps heat. Humans produce CO2 and release it into the atmosphere. Planet gets warmer because more heat is trapped.

Where do you think there are holes in the logic? I am honestly curious.

nub

:unsure: You do realize its just a word? Also warming would change climates.

Ironman273

I think the issue is one side is saying that the earth warming is caused by humans and the proof is, well, the earth is getting warmer. The other side is saying, yes the earth may be getting warmer, but if we could measure back far enough you'd see it as a cycle. It's like if a baby was born in March and by June he'd say "Holy smokes, by December the average temperature will be 200?!!"

Frankly I don't think I know enough about either argument to make an informed decision one way or another. They both have their logic.

HSoft

*confused*

Edit:

And it makes logical sense, right? CO2 in the atmosphere traps heat. Humans produce CO2 and release it into the atmosphere. Planet gets warmer because more heat is trapped.

The holes in the logic are that you assume humans are the only ones producing CO2 (not for example a volcanoes which spew more CO2 into the atmosphere than humans do), The fact that the planet is actually cooling and has been for a few years now (studies by NASA etc), the recent findings by NASA involving more heat than was thought radiating into space, increased solar and sun activity that affect the planet etc. etc.

DocM

E-yup - the new discoveries have totally borked the climate models used to jinn up this mess. Back to the drawing board.

Ambroos

Natural climate variations have always been there and are perfectly normal. However, they always happened over thousands of years. The thing is that the last 100 years or so the change in climate is coming much too fast, and they probably are a direct result of all the greenhouse stuff we put out there in the air.

Also: think about this. We know that CO2 is a greenhouse gas and that it eventually warms up the earth. We also know that energy can be converted to mass and mass can be converted to energy. (E=mc? that is)

The problem is that we are constantly burning mass and converting it to energy. All the oil reserves are basically heaps of energy conserved as mass. Converting the energy takes thousands of years (photosynthesis by trees etc, the whole cycle) and we're rapidly burning all that mass, turning it into energy again. And not only does it create a lot of energy that was only here in the form of mass before, it also creates greenhouse gases that actually stop the energy from going away from the earth as it forms a sort of blanket.

hkgonra

In other news Gerald Ford has concluded his investigation into watergate and cleared Richard Nixon of any wrongdoing.

Stalin has done the same for Mao.

:wacko:

+Frank B.

The holes in the logic are that you assume humans are the only ones producing CO2 (not for example a volcanoes which spew more CO2 into the atmosphere than humans do), The fact that the planet is actually cooling and has been for a few years now (studies by NASA etc), the recent findings by NASA involving more heat than was thought radiating into space, increased solar and sun activity that affect the planet etc. etc.

To quote the article:

Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas which is dumped into the atmosphere by humans to the tune of 30 billion tons per year, 100 times the amount from volcanoes. And finally, approximately 97% of climatologists who actually study climate agree that global warming is real, and caused by humans.

Climate change is a fact, and has been accepted as a fact by the scientific community for decades. I remember visiting the German Climate Computing Center back in early 1989 (went there with the high school physics class) and being told about global warming.

What earthly reason would scientists have to make all this up?

Growled

Well, I'm glad he was cleared. Now he can get back to work. ;)

vincent

And i very much doubt you're not intellectual or logical enough to know how science works..

Worthington

*confused*

Edit:

What actually happens is that the sun gets warmer as a natural cycle of its lifespan, driving the temperature of the Earth up as a result. As the Earth warms up, the oceans warm up as well, and warmer oceans release CO2 more than they normally would, leading to the higher measured levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. Climatechange cultists portray this natural process in reverse to make it look like man is creating CO2 which they say warms the Earth.

This is the official explanation by REAL scientists and not politically driven, new age Marxist-funded lunatics so yeah, just look it up for yourself and do some serious research instead of trusting your government blindly.

DukeEsquire

Unless there has been some huge, abnormal volcano/non-human activity in the past 200 years that has dramatically increased its CO2 output, I think it is safe to say it's not nature or, otherwise, it would have happened earlier.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think its ONLY humans, but it would be illogical from what I know about climate change/global warming to say that humans are not having some material impact.

Worthington

What earthly reason would scientists have to make all this up?

They get a lucrative career out of it. Make stuff up for the government and corporations and you get a ride down easy street for the rest of your life. Tell the truth, and you lose your job, and are blacklisted from any Earth sciences positions anywhere the climate change myth is supported.

Mordkanin
The fact that the planet is actually cooling and has been for a few years now (studies by NASA etc)

The thermodynamics of phase change are a great way to hide heat without a temperature increase. Don't forget about the heat of fusion of ice!

Either way, the scientific community seems to have settled on the fact that there are a lot of things at play, and we're one of them.

vincent

What actually happens is that the sun gets warmer as a natural cycle of its lifespan, driving the temperature of the Earth up as a result. As the Earth warms up, the oceans warm up as well, and warmer oceans release CO2 more than they normally would, leading to the higher measured levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. Climatechange cultists portray this natural process in reverse to make it look like man is creating CO2 which they say warms the Earth.

So i guess all the vehicles, and power plants around the planet are blowing out soapy bubbles while whistling

"hi ho hi ho its off to work we go"

DukeEsquire

This is the official explanation by REAL scientists and not politically driven, new age Marxist-funded lunatics so yeah, just look it up for yourself and do some serious research instead of trusting your government blindly.

Do we have evidence of this happening in the past? Obviously climate changes (Ice Ages for example), but usually temperature change occurs over a long period of time.

IE: Do we have evidence that there have been dramatic rises/drops in temperature in the past like we see on the OP's graph?

PuttPutt

maybe NASA knows the truth and their getting defunded because of that global scamming is worth like 5 trillion to those cronies