• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WMA Question

Marshalus    50

Is it possible to convert my MP3 files in WMA?

Malechai    116

I don't believe its possible to convert mp3 to WMA without downloading something extra. (please someone correct me if I'm wrong! :)

One of the programs in the Windows Media Bonus Pack lets you convert mp3 to WMA. You can read up on it and/or download it at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...d/bonuspack.asp

OR

You can go with Windows Media Encoder 7.1 at the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...t.asp#location2

I've used it before. Slick program. But its definately a bigger download. Up to you.

baphomet_irl    0

u could also just use winamp and select the 'wma output' plugin - then play the mp3's u want - it will ouput them to the selected folder as WMA's at selected kps. - I use this for compressing 192kps MP3's I d/l to 64kps WMA for my MP3 player. As usual with any form of lossy compression - u can only have a lower quality sound than the original.

oh and the windows media encoder is a bit of a pain in the arse cos u cant do batch conversions (well not with the one I have - which im sure is 7 or upwards) - u can with Winamp

hope that helps .......

:)

Dcrad    0

Theres a really cool little program in the XP Plus! pack guys, lets you convert mp3s to WMA with no probs, i found that the winamp plug in didnt go a very good job, cos i noticed there was a few errors, noise etc, but the one in XP Plus! pack dont seem to have this problem. If you can get this, try it out thats my advise.

Dcrad

"Ive come up with riddles and jokes about war, but now your gone i havent figured out why"

baphomet_irl    0

cool

tbh i did notice that ther was a few 'blips'in the wma encoding from winamp - but i thought this was from the fact of converting an already compressed format.

does plus! use WPA?

me101    0

Question: Marshalus

Why convert your MP3's to WMA, yes i know WMA's are smaller but I'm keeping my MP3's the way they are!

And baphomet_ie, I thought that the WMA out plugin was pulled from Winamp, due to Microsoft pressure or am I dreaming again!

baphomet_irl    0

Im pretty sure its in winamp - and i think I have 2.76

althou it might still be 2.73

well im sure its still possible to get old winamp if it has been pulled

i convert from MP3 to wma jus for things ive d/l'd so theyll be small enough for my 64MB MP3 player

but from straight WAV/CD's i really do think the sound is better anywayz - way nicer bass

(althou my hearing is a bit dodgy lol)

Marshalus    50
Originally posted by me101  

Question: Marshalus

Why convert your MP3's to WMA, yes i know WMA's are smaller but I'm keeping my MP3's the way they are!

Yeah, I am too, I just wanted to know for general information, just incase by some random chance I needed to convert them.