Getting an iPhone

I currently use a BlackBerry Bold 9780 but am getting an iPhone next week. I was thinking of getting a 3GS so I can use the same SIM card in case I decide to switch back to a BB (otherwise I'd have to get a new SIM card every time I want to switch devices).

Is there any compelling reason to get an iPhone 4 over a 3GS? I don't care about Facetime or the forward-facing camera.

Not exactly the best time to be getting an iPhone, with the new one bound to come out in a month or so. Even if you don't get the newest model, iPhone 4 prices will most likely drop to that of 3GS' currently.

The retina display on the iPhone 4 is beautiful and it has a nice speed bump over iPhone 3GS. It'll probably handle iOS 5 a lot better too (and be supported longer in terms of software updates).

Software updates, screen quality, speed... why not just wait and see iPhone 5 details first. Also, why rule out an Android device if you don't want a mini-SIM device, e.g. Nexus S, Galaxy S II won't force you change SIM.

Other than that, did you have a budget in mind?

Well my main reason for getting a 3GS over a 4 is because it doesn't use a Micro SIM

I too would take the advice given. Wait for the iPhone 5. You'll get a price drop on the iPhone 4 (should take the 3GS spot) if you want that one or you'll get the new phone at the best rate.

So why not look at Android devices instead of limiting yourself to a 2yr old device?

I like the iPod functionality and the web browser... Is there a comparable Android phone?

Oh, and it has to be unlockable.

Um.. Just about any high end Android device, or a windows phone. That's what im typing on right now and its great.

What's the best *unlockable* Android phone that is available in Canada? (And is GSM, not CDMA)

Is there a comparable Android phone?

Samsung Galaxy S2. Best Android smartphone as of yet.

Well my main reason for getting a 3GS over a 4 is because it doesn't use a Micro SIM

You could just buy a Micro-SIM to normal SIM adapter since they're not that expensive. Link to Amazon.com.

I like the iPod functionality and the web browser... Is there a comparable Android phone?

samsung galaxy s2 beats iphone 3gs, 4 and may be 5 too... but its the BEST for now!

Back to my original question... Is there a compelling reason to get an iPhone 4 instead of a 3GS?

Back to my original question... Is there a compelling reason to get an iPhone 4 instead of a 3GS?

The retina display. Just compare them both in store to see how much better the retina display is.

You can use a micro SIM adapter for your blackberry.

adapter_with_microsim.jpg

I have a MicroSIM adapter and it works great! I remember it costing something like $2.99. Things are changing, and I think more phones are going to support microsim going forward. Although I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T axes SIM all together in the US market.

If I were you I would wait until iPhone 5 is released. Even if you don't plan to get the latest and greatest, I bet iPhone 4 prices will drop at least $100. Apple prices their stuff and keeps the price the same until they release new hardware. iPhone 4 is the exact same price since it was released in July 2010. Buying one now wouldn't be very good value. If you are itching for a new phone, I recommend looking at new Android phones. Otherwise wait for iPhone 5.

Why not try a Windows Phone? Can't hurt, right? It's a really great device and I'm sure you'll love it, especially since Mango is due to RTM in a couple of days.

However, if you're bent on iPhone, I'd say wait for the iPhone 5 since it's coming soon.

Why not try a Windows Phone? Can't hurt, right? It's a really great device and I'm sure you'll love it, especially since Mango is due to RTM in a couple of days.

However, if you're bent on iPhone, I'd say wait for the iPhone 5 since it's coming soon.

I'd consider a Windows Phone except that it isn't unlockable.

Don't buy an iPhone just yet. Seriously. I would say.. don't buy any phone just yet. There are viable alternatives to the iPhone like the Samsung Galaxy S II or some WP7-phones but I'd always wait for the new iPhone to look at. If it's not your thing, don't get it then. Waiting a few more weeks won't hurt you but buying one now, at the end of the product circle would be stupid. And getting a 3GS now would be even more stupid. Just wait.

As for the Micro-SIM... get an adapter. Simple. Works great. But apart from that, I don't really think you're gonna be wanting to switch back to your BlackBerry. With either, iPhone or Galaxy S II. Or WP7 for that matter. :p

why not try a windows phone? because the guy wants an iphone, perhaps?

..To answer YOUR QUESTION.. there are lots of reasons to go with iPhone4 over 3GS, performance is better, overall design is nicer but the main thing is the retina display is just awesome... i've played around with lots of latest phones and haven't really found anything as nice regarding the screen. Visit an Apple store and check it out. You can buy an adapter the Micro SIM is the same just cut down.

Phones do so much these days and have so many buying factors (and cost so much) you really need to be testing them out before u buy something.

IIt all depends on what you are looking for, compare the two and see what pops up..

Oh and for Android there's media players which kill any 'iPod' functionality you might have on your iPhone.. I use Rockbox myself, while it is not yet released as stable it is perfectly usable, kicks *ss and is opensource .. Oh I forgot OpenSource is a swearword in Apple world.. ;)

why not try a windows phone? because the guy wants an iphone, perhaps?

He actually never said as much.. Just asked about the pros of iPhone4 over 3GS..

He actually never said as much.. Just asked about the pros of iPhone4 over 3GS..

Yeah, well, so he pretty much didn't ask for alternatives or opinions on WP7, did he?

I don't get why you are only looking at iPhones, all Android phones are unlockable

I would imagine that's because he would like to have an iPhone.

To answer the OP question, there are few advantages of the 4 over 3GS, having had both the only real benefit of the 4 is a nicer screen. The retina display does make a difference, but going from the blackberry, even the 3gs screen would look nice