Vacation in Thailand, what to do?

I am going to sydney to study and,

I am gonna make a visit(vacation) to thailand for an unknown time (3-6weeks), and I wonder what would be the best way to pack my backpack, what kind of clothes, how many of each item and so on...

then on to security, how can I best protect my gear, Im gonna pack some technology..

cellphone

digital camera

palmpilot

mp3 player

and ofcors money...

clothes arent so impartant if they get lost... but the other stuff...

what do you plan on doing there? there are some great places. for beaches, you might try koh samui, hua hin, pattaya, and phuket (although this place isn't so nice). chiang mai is a nice cultural town and has some hiking places.

i grew up in bangkok, so i usually just hung around there. just know where to go. for cheap shopping districts, i recommend chatuchak, mbk (lots of trendy products), and siam square. the more expensive, yet popular, places for students include siam discovery and emporium (located in the sukhumvit part of bangkok). sukhumvit is an expensive area where many foreigners live. sometimes vendors take advantage of foreigners, especially white people (since they're so easily distinguishable), aka "farang," and charge higher prices or try and cheat you. make sure you know what's going on.

it's very hot and humid there, just so you know. just walking around for a few minutes can make you sweat. if you aren't used to that, you might want to pack plain shorts and shirts. i'm pretty used to it, so i go around in long pants and shirts.

about technology, i'd be very careful. although it's relatively safe where i live and where i go, just be aware that people may try and take your things, especially when riding in a bus or on the skytrain. so just simple things, like don't keep your backpack on while riding; you'll want to take it off and put it in front of you, or hold it, and just be careful in general. but don't worry. electronics are very cheap in thailand too. a good discman may cost $20-30. if you want computer stuff (software, hardware, etc.), go to panthip. it's the ultimate computer place.

money isn't really an issue in thailand. the conversion is approx. $1 = 40 baht, which is a lot. a meal in the food court can be $30, a t-shirt can cost 99 baht, a normal shirt can cost 199. a bus ride all over town (if you take the red one) is 3.5 baht. a phone call is 1 baht.

dreamz summed it up best on where to go and what to do in Thailand, esp. Bangkok. (Y) Visiting the all the places dreamz mentioned plus the classical cultural places such as the floating market, the grand palace, crocodile farm, ancient city and ofcourse, temples, will guarantee you a fantastic experience in Thailand :yes: To read more about sightseeing, pickup a copy of lonely planet or the like about Thailand, you should be just fine!

I think you can just packup and prepare yourself like how you normally would be going elsewhere, as long as you practice common sense in safety and securing personal belongings, you should be fine ;) Beware of pickpockets, keep your valuables properly locked in your hotel room, keep track of where your things are and make sure you know the currency exchange rates and study the Thai money properly so you don't get cheated anywhere. Also, don't trust any of the 'guides' who tell you that they will give you a tour and stuff, you'll end up wasting your time being forced to buy things.

If you need to know more just ask :) Good luck!

d'oup! forgot to mention those cultural sites, lol. :laugh: great suggestions, toxicfume! those are some fantastic sites, and i remember going to them when i was little. :) (Y) you could pick yourself up some thai crafts for souvenirs, or maybe another mp3 player. ;)

have fun in amazing thailand, the land of smiles!