[ Poll ] What do you want from Windows 8?

W8 Desire Explained!  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What is the single one thing, that you want from W8?

• Major Perfomance Boost
    • Massively Improved Battery Life
    • The Shiny New Interface
    • Genuine Tablet Support
    • Improved Security
    • Tiles
    • Would say so in comments.....

Consistency across all their products, and interfaces. Rest is certain.

I would say that even UI consistency is certain. It caqn be seen with the leaks of Office 15, and the upcoming Bing update(Bing mobile for Blackberry, iOS and WP7 have already gone so).

Plus their is the Live services, which are also under Sinofsky, will go Metro in the next Live Wave.

I want it to help me be more productive with the new UI. But I also want it to be consistent.

I like the UI, it looks great. But so far it looks dubious for productivity as even basics like multi-tasking look more tricky (how do I go straight from Notepad++ to Photoshop as I do now, without effectively alt-tabbing through a long list?).

This is where consistency comes into it. I fear Microsoft's answer to productive users is going to be "use the old desktop". If I have to use the old desktop to remain productive, then the Metro UI is pointless as I can already just use the desktop. So any benefit of Metro UI goes out the window and I might as well save my money and use Windows 7 (which is the most consistent OS they've made since 95).

I want it to help me be more productive with the new UI. But I also want it to be consistent.

I like the UI, it looks great. But so far it looks dubious for productivity as even basics like multi-tasking look more tricky (how do I go straight from Notepad++ to Photoshop as I do now, without effectively alt-tabbing through a long list?).

This is where consistency comes into it. I fear Microsoft's answer to productive users is going to be "use the old desktop". If I have to use the old desktop to remain productive, then the Metro UI is pointless as I can already just use the desktop. So any benefit of Metro UI goes out the window and I might as well save my money and use Windows 7 (which is the most consistent OS they've made since 95).

You can multi-task in the desktop mode using the taskbar, like has been since the beginning. But multi-tasking method for the tablet interface has not yet been revealed. We have only been shown the 'backing' method, which you can do by sliding your thumb from the left.

Went with Performance Boost...though.. over 7 I don't see how that's really possible

Tiles: Do not Want

Tablet Support: Do not Need

Shiny New Interface: Looks drawn in paint. I want curvy, rounded, transparent... what windows 7 has.

Security: I feel pretty secure as is.

I dunno, If I really want anything from Windows 8. It's the flexibility to turn off metro, to have the standard (Vista/7) Aero Interface. To not have it look drawn in paint by a 10 year old.

I remember them showing off dual-paning in one of the earlier BUILD videos. You'd essentially have the active window on one side and a narrower side window along the other. There was also finger-flicking to get to other open windows. All from within the Immersive UI. So productivity shouldn't be an issue.

To me though, the Immersive UI is for quick look-ups and info at a glance, not a productivity UI, similar to what we have today with Android and iPad tablets. If you're looking to quickly switch between open browsers, Office and other applications, you'll always be better off using the desktop mode.

The one thing I would love is to be able to do everything in the Immersive experience, but I think they've pretty much confirmed that won't be possible :(

What is it that you won't be able to do in Immersive? We have only seen the tip of the iceberg for that tile-based interface.

Tablet support, along with Visual Studio 2012 or whatever they're calling the next version and Win8's platform SDK.. altho rather interested in the new visual elements once they get finalized.

What is it that you won't be able to do in Immersive? We have only seen the tip of the iceberg for that tile-based interface.

We won't be entirely sure until Build (most likely), but judging by this blog post, it seems there may be a lot we can't do using the Immersive experience :/ (I won't assume of course until we know for sure).

The one thing I would love is to be able to do everything in the Immersive experience, but I think they've pretty much confirmed that won't be possible :(

Callum, this is quoted from the latest entry of B8 blog.

In this light, the role of the Windows desktop is clear. It powers the hundreds of thousands of existing apps that people rely on today, a vast array of business software, and provides a level of precision and control that is essential for certain tasks. The things that people do today on PCs don?t suddenly go away just because there are new Metro style apps. The mechanisms that people rely on today (mice, physical keyboards, trackpads) don?t suddenly become less useful or ?bad? just because touch is also provided as a first-class option. These tools are quite often the most ergonomic, fast, and powerful ways of getting many things done.

---------

eve there is room for a more elegant, perhaps a more nuanced, approach. You get a beautiful, fast and fluid, Metro style interface and a huge variety of new apps to use. These applications have new attributes (a platform) that go well beyond the graphical styling (much to come on this at Build). As we showed, you get an amazing touch experience, and also one that works with mouse, trackpad, and keyboard. And if you want to stay permanently immersed in that Metro world, you will never see the desktop?we won?t even load it (literally the code will not be loaded) unless you explicitly choose to go there! This is Windows reimagined.

Edit: Posted this before read your answer.

Callum, this is quoted from the latest entry of B8 blog.

Edit: Posted this before read your answer.

Thanks :) I do understand why we will still need to access the old desktop mode at times. I just hope they included a Windows Explorer-like app for the Immersive experience, and I hope they develop the Office suite as Immersive apps :) As a software developer and designer, I will have to endure the old desktop mode regularly anyway for years to come I imagine (due to work), but the less I need to use that, the better :)

Yeah, dual-panel explorer would be awesome, they should have made it a long time ago. But looks like it will take years for them to implement it just as took years to develop tabs in IE.

Yeah, dual-panel explorer would be awesome, they should have made it a long time ago. But looks like it will take years for them to implement it just as took years to develop tabs in IE.

Why go dual-panel when tabs are where it's at. First thing I do with every Windows 7 install - after installing MSE and Chrome - is install Qttabbar. It's an absolute must-have.

Why go dual-panel when tabs are where it's at. First thing I do with every Windows 7 install - after installing MSE and Chrome - is install Qttabbar. It's an absolute must-have.

Because tabs in a file browser don't really add any gains in workflow. You still need to switch to a hidden view, be it in a separate tab or window.. fairly useless, may as well just have two windows and not clutter up the interface with another row of "stuff". Multiple panes on the other hand give you both views at the same time.

Because tabs in a file browser don't really add any gains in workflow. You still need to switch to a hidden view, be it in a separate tab or window.. fairly useless, may as well just have two windows and not clutter up the interface with another row of "stuff". Multiple panes on the other hand give you both views at the same time.

If I'm dragging files from one folder to another, I simply drop the files on to the other folder's tab - no need to switch to it. And if I need to drill-down into a subfolder of the other folder, I hover over the tab and a menu with all subfolders appears.

The way I work now, I can have multiple folders open at a time while still being able to browse a folder at full width. With dual-panels - or multiple panels beyond 2 - this folder area becomes less and less. At a given time, I can have up to 10 folders open, all tabbed. That's simply not something that can be done with multi-paneling.

A single consolidated operating system that you can customize to suit your needs upon installation. I'm so sick and tired of there being 5 different versions of the same OS just so M$ can juice money out of people.

Addendum to my previous, add support to manipulate symbolic links in Explorer, still having to resort to a shell extension. Also a toggle to override/ignore desktop.ini would be nice too.. for example, %WinDir%\Assembly.. sometimes I want to see the actual directory structure, sometimes the nice condensed view that it shows by default. Right now have to jump around in a console or third party file manager when I want to work with the actual files.

I'm of a like mind there, as long as it's a toggle. I only use that sort of thing once in a long while, most of the time it's just wasted space for me. (Think Dolphin.) Tabs though not so much, had QTTabBar back in the XP days but rarely used the tabs and haven't missed it. Really didn't save any time.

I'm so sick and tired of there being 5 different versions of the same OS just so M$ can juice money out of people.

Microsoft with a dollar sign? Really?

A single consolidated operating system that you can customize to suit your needs upon installation. I'm so sick and tired of there being 5 different versions of the same OS just so M$ can juice money out of people.

Well, what else is a business suppose to do. That's the goal of every business venture.

Well, what else is a business suppose to do. That's the goal of every business venture.

I know, and I understand their primary goal is to make money for their employees and owners. As the end user though, it's frustrating. I would even pay a little more for this, just to avoid having to purchase and agree to several different licenses for servers, home computers, and workstations. If I were to use Windows, I would like to be able to just buy one disc, purchase a specified number of license keys for machines that I will be using, make copies of that one disc and be able to build my entire network from the internet cafe to the server.

Everything else from Windows 8 so far I've seen looks pretty good. I'm primarily a Linux user, but I'm not anti-Windows, and I hope to see it do well. I would love to see a demo though, like they used to do where Bill Gates would stand on stage with a projector and show off his new OS pre-release.