[ Poll ] What do you want from Windows 8?

W8 Desire Explained!  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What is the single one thing, that you want from W8?

• Major Perfomance Boost
    • Massively Improved Battery Life
    • The Shiny New Interface
    • Genuine Tablet Support
    • Improved Security
    • Tiles
    • Would say so in comments.....

Considering we will not get what I previously posted, the one thing I would like is the Desktop experience redesigned to look very similar to the Immersive experience (essentially fully inspired by Metro). I will be incredibly disappointed if they haven't done this. Aero looks horrible compared to the Immersive experience, and I imagine that switching between the two experiences would be anything but seemless and certainly not enjoyable.

For some Longhorn features to come back, particularly confirmation that Protogon is, in fact, WinFS. Yeah, I know, MSFT will never bring back Longhorn, but I'm at least hoping for the latter since there are at least people who are confident that the 2 are one in the same.

- - - - -

I would like is the Desktop experience redesigned to look very similar to the Immersive experience (essentially fully inspired by Metro). I will be incredibly disappointed if they haven't done this.

- - - - -

I would like that to happen to, and I think it will most likely happen. They would then feel feel like an extension of each other.

An end to the Registry once and for all. All programs are self contained in their own little folder. No need to install/uninstall. To get rid of a program you just delete it's folder. Everyone has masses of disc space nowadays so sharing resources is old hat.

Dual pain explorer as people are asking for. I remember the 'File Manager' in DOShell had this so why not now?

OS level support for all the major codecs. If one comes along that becomes popular, windows update downloads it for you. Having said that VLC should be included in Windows 8.

Speed. Less Bloat etc.

An end to the Registry once and for all. All programs are self contained in their own little folder. No need to install/uninstall.

Personally agree with most of what you said, but killing off the registry is just a horrible idea. All configuration data stored in one convenient location with a unified and easy to use API thats tailored to each individual user, or a bajillion text files in any random format a developer comes up with scattered all over the file system? Not a hard choice, shoot even see similar things appearing in other OS's. As for self-contained folders, hit or miss there; could work great for some things, but really work against you for others, say a framework/platform/system dependency of some sort.. make it pretty hard to guess what you have installed, where it's at, etc etc, a nightmare for developers. The unified install system is so much easier to deal with.

Major Perfomance Boost. Why would someone need a New Shiny Interface??. The ppl is missing the point of what an OS should be. Its the same ppl who get bored of that (new) interface in no time. Probably the same ppl who think that a computer is a toy.

Major Perfomance Boost. Why would someone need a New Shiny Interface??. The ppl is missing the point of what an OS should be. Its the same ppl who get bored of that (new) interface in no time. Probably the same ppl who think that a computer is a toy.

The interface is any software's greatest, or even only, selling point! It is the only thing that counts to a consumer. The rest is nothing compared to how much an interface matters.

Consumers may not be able to judge Performance boost, as much as they would be able to an interface.

+ Consistant UI.

+ Proper UI scaling, so that fonts and window elements appear the same size regardless of screen resolution.

+ Cleanup of old icons etc.

+ A way through GPO or registry to disable the new Start screen and boot straight into the desktop.