[poll] White Trash

White Trash, is it a racist remark?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. White Trash, is it a racist remark?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

It's in the question.

I have researched this and I hope that this poll may reflect the %'s.

If you wish to add further comments to why you voted, then please do.

No not really, even some white people use it to define other white people.

Yeah but by that token, "nig***" isn't racist either then, since some black people use it to define other black people.

I think it is to some degree, but there are trashy and classy people of every race, so it's hard to take it too offensively. Unlike "the N word", you really aren't going to be offended by or called "white trash" unless you truly are.

Yes I do, it is 100% racially motivated and could be associated to be as bad as "n-----". However, it's usage seems to imply that it's less offensive - because we obviously can't be racist towards right people, right?

But it doesn't offend me in the slightest.

Yeah but by that token, "nig***" isn't racist either then, since some black people use it to define other black people.

I think it is to some degree, but there are trashy and classy people of every race, so it's hard to take it too offensively. Unlike "the N word", you really aren't going to be offended by or called "white trash" unless you truly are.

But you see, << racial epithet >> was used to define the entire black race. White trash is usually called to a particular type of white people.

The definition of White trash is as follows:

slang: an offensive term for a white person or group of white people considered as possessing the stereotypical characteristics of members of a lower-income group in society

http://www.bing.com/search?setmkt=en-US&q=define+white+trash

And here is the definition for << racial epithet >>:

noun1.Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive .a.a black person.b.a member of any dark-skinned people.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/<< racial epithet >>

So the people who say the term is not racist it would be OK to refer to "Black Trash" then?? Obviously when you are referring to a group/section of the so called black population! In my country (South Africa) and in the States I can assure you that this will be taken as a racist term/remark, call it what you like!

Edit: I would say call anyone "trash" "rubbish" that's OK I suppose, but to refer to their skin colour is just wrong!

Its a slur that defines a group of white people. But it doesn't really apply to all white people. If someone came up to me and called me white trash, I think I would just laugh at them because I know that is not what I am.

That being said, it is derogatory with racial characteristics... I'd say that it can be racist.

I don't consider white trash redneck people to be "my people" even though we share the same skin color. So calling them white trash rednecks is derogatory and bigoted (of me). :laugh:

racist

adjective

/?re?.s?st/ disapproving

Definition

believing that other races are not as good as your own and therefore treating them unfairly

I don't believe it's racist or many of the other things people call racist, the word racist and racism have been diluted so much to mean any offence given to a minority rather than what the very definition of the word stands for believing your superior to other races.

White trash is definitely offensive and used to demean people who you consider below you but it's still only a select group as opposed to an entire race.

It's same as wigger how anyone believes it's fine to call someone a white << racial epithet >>. :no:

when somebody calls me white trash. i just tell them nope my trash is colored

they pause and go huh!!!!

^ Good one. :laugh:

Odd that many trash bags are brown or black ... don't ya think ?

I think calling a white person a cracker would be more along the line of the "n" word. When I think of white trash I think of poor white people who may be overweight with poor dental hygiene and abysmal English grammar, living in run down trailers and houses. The term White trash can also apply to white people that fall into the category of what I just mentioned that are druggies or those that leech off of other people and don't do anything to better themselves.

I have never been offended by 'white trash' -- just makes me laugh. :laugh:

Other races simply have no talent for insults.

Pretty sure our *race* (causation I presume) have zero talent in that department either.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder, doesn't particularly offend me, but I tend towards an "all or nothing" approach when it comes to abuse (racist or otherwise) - it's either all acceptable or none of it is. (voted not sure for that reason)

When I think of white trash I think of poor white people who may be overweight with poor dental hygiene and abysmal English grammar, living in run down trailers and houses. The term White trash can also apply to white people that fall into the category of what I just mentioned that are druggies or those that leech off of other people and don't do anything to better themselves.

+1

I do have a reason for starting this post.

Some person that is in a company that prides itself on political correctness called my woman chocolate skinned.

My Suzie is brown not chocolate coloured, as chocolate can be white, red, brown, black blah blah blah, this is after I called an employee of theirs, 'white trash'.

So because I called the person 'white trash' they called me racist.

They are even threatening to have me arrested.

I have this feeling that in the past year or so there is some kind of uprising, where you now cannot say the word white or it will offend.

What I have read here is a fair reflection, really some people who are trash and are white enjoy living the 'white trash' lifestyle and others are offended.

However, as per usual those that don't come under the heading 'white trash' and due to political correctness are offended.

I am far from racist as I treat everyone, with the same contempt.

My research gives a 80% no and 20% yes from all the research I have done in the past 24 hours.