• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Best (free) VPN server software for Win7?

Question

unknownsoldierX    0

I'd like to set up a VPN server on my Win7 PC. Is there any good VPN software that is easy to set up? I'd like to have a secure connection for file sharing and remote desktop from my Android phone.

So far, I've looked at OpenVPN, but it looks fairly complicated.

11 answers to this question

+BudMan    3,429

Not sure where you got the idea it was complicated, they have a VM you can download and there you go, click click done!

http://openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/download-openvpn-as/164.html

What router do you have, if you run dd-wrt for example openvpn is available already built in - click click and its setup.

guitmz    103

ProXPN is also nice! Just Google it.

unknownsoldierX    0

I forgot to mention, I don't want to run a VM. I looked at the Windows Installer, but it seemed pretty involved.

I do have a DD-WRT router, but it's behind another router (acting as a repeater). Would I still be able to use it for a VPN? I don't have permission to mess with the other router as far as modding it. Would it be possible to use it's stock Linksys firmware to pass along the VPN to my DD-WRT router?

Also, from looking at DD-WRT, it seems uses PPTP. Isn't that less secure than other protocols?

unknownsoldierX    0

ProXPN is also nice! Just Google it.

That seems to be a VPN service. I'm looking to set up a server on my PC. I want to be able to point my Android phone to my DynDNS address and connect to a VPN on my home network.

+BudMan    3,429

who said anything about PPTP? Openvpn is SSL based - here http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN

As to using it on a repeater -- seems unlikely.

To be honest running on windows is not all that hard, if you just have one client your android phone you could prob just use the static key version - http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/miscellaneous/78-static-key-mini-howto.html

I do not know of any easier to setup vpn server software to be honest, other than the built in incoming vpn connection you can setup on windows 7, but its quote often a pain to get to because blocked at your remote location, or your router/isp blocks ports and protocols for PPTP to work. 2008 server has changed their vpn stuff to be SSL based (SSTP) but 7 can only be a client not the server.

If I get some free time this weekend I can put together a follow the bouncing ball, guide for dummies sort of thing with lots of pictures, etc. in setting up openvpn as server on w7.

But if you feel its too complicated, good luck - I don't know of any point and click ready to go vpn servers for windows or even linux for that matter. Your best bet for simple is the VM from openvpn.

I could prob put the guide together this afternoon, but my workstation at home seems to have died.. Could not get it to boot this morning, not sure if fixable or not - but picking up a new one on way home so might have some time to put it together. So currently I don't have access to a w7 os be it on real hardware or even virtual. Its been on my todo list for quite some time, because quite a few users ask about it. But personally if you can not work your way through the guide on openvpn -- maybe running a vpn server is just too complicated for your current skill set.

unknownsoldierX    0

Nevermind. I had to change the firmware from the generic build to the vpn_generic. Now DD-WRT has the OpenVPN options. No I just need to get it set up and see if it will work if I forward the prots on the outside router.

unknownsoldierX    0

I followed this tutorial to set up OpenVPN. I've filled in the CA Cert, Public Client Cert (tutorial says Public Server Cert?), Private Client Key (tutorial says Private Server Key?), and DH PEM boxes.

For "OpenVPN Config", it says "(see bellow)". Now I'm lost. I don't see any instructions that say what I'm supposed to put in that box. I assume I can just copy/paste the sample "server config file for bridging"? Since I want to be able to access Windows shares.

unknownsoldierX    0

I went ahead and just put this in the OpenVPN config box, except I change the port.

mode server

proto udp

port 12345

dev tap0

server-bridge 10.22.0.1 255.255.0.0 10.22.0.50 10.22.0.100

# Gateway (VPN Server) Subnetmask Start-IP End-IP

keepalive 10 120

comp-lzo

daemon

verb 5

client-to-client

dh /tmp/openvpn/dh.pem

ca /tmp/openvpn/ca.crt

cert /tmp/openvpn/cert.pem

key /tmp/openvpn/key.pem

# Only use crl-verify if you are using the revoke list - otherwise leave it commented out

# crl-verify /tmp/openvpn/ca.crl

My phone says it connected to the network, but after ten or fifteen seconds it disconnects and says it was unable to connect to the network.

+fusi0n    1,958

who said anything about PPTP? Openvpn is SSL based - here http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN

As to using it on a repeater -- seems unlikely.

To be honest running on windows is not all that hard, if you just have one client your android phone you could prob just use the static key version - http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/miscellaneous/78-static-key-mini-howto.html

I do not know of any easier to setup vpn server software to be honest, other than the built in incoming vpn connection you can setup on windows 7, but its quote often a pain to get to because blocked at your remote location, or your router/isp blocks ports and protocols for PPTP to work. 2008 server has changed their vpn stuff to be SSL based (SSTP) but 7 can only be a client not the server.

If I get some free time this weekend I can put together a follow the bouncing ball, guide for dummies sort of thing with lots of pictures, etc. in setting up openvpn as server on w7.

But if you feel its too complicated, good luck - I don't know of any point and click ready to go vpn servers for windows or even linux for that matter. Your best bet for simple is the VM from openvpn.

I could prob put the guide together this afternoon, but my workstation at home seems to have died.. Could not get it to boot this morning, not sure if fixable or not - but picking up a new one on way home so might have some time to put it together. So currently I don't have access to a w7 os be it on real hardware or even virtual. Its been on my todo list for quite some time, because quite a few users ask about it. But personally if you can not work your way through the guide on openvpn -- maybe running a vpn server is just too complicated for your current skill set.

That would be great if you could put up a guide. I would be very much interested. I use to use Monowall and I miss this feature..

Geoffrey B.    1,415

either open vpn or hamatchi