[Thanks for help, I have finalized one]I want to try Linux.....

FMH

Hi there

I want to try a Linux distribution, but not sure which one. I have using Windows even before I was born, and have never touched anything other than Windows. Currently using 7, and would upgrade to W8 when it launches.

Not a programmer, so I don't have any special needs.

I'm VERY interested in designing. And the thing that matters to me most is UI and UX. That, to me is the most important thing in a program.

So which may be the most elegant Linux distribution, to use and see? Which one, do you think, I would like?

(I have a very capable rig, so their wouldn't be no problem with that.)

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: And screenshots would be very appreciated, if not a problem. :p

YounGMessiah

Linux Mint might fit your criteria.. I had it installed and loved it, also all my non-savvy friends were able to learn and use it quickly.

FMH

Linux Mint might fit your criteria.. I had it installed and loved it, also all my non-savvy friends were able to learn and use it quickly.

Am checking it out right now on their website. Thank you for the answer.

myxomatosis

Linux Mint 11 is the way to go in my opinion.

It's Linux, but with a certain "Microsoft Windows" feel. Included themes aren't bad at all too, and it runs prettty well under VirtualBox, with 3D acceleration and all the eyecandy stuff (Compiz)

FMH

Linux Mint 11 is the way to go in my opinion.

It's Linux, but with a certain "Microsoft Windows" feel. Included themes aren't bad at all too, and it runs prettty well under VirtualBox, with 3D acceleration and all the eyecandy stuff (Compiz)

I am not particular about that. Would be okay to try something completely new. Actually, I would prefer it to be something different than what I'm used to. smile.gif

And it kinda has an 'iOS feel' to it. It may be the status bar below.katya.png

Barney T.

Try looking at the premere website dedicated to all distributions of Linux: Distrowatch. They cover every Linux version known to mankind. I am also moving this thread to the Linux Support Subforum where you will get more traffic.

FMH

Try looking at the premere website dedicated to all distributions of Linux: Distrowatch. They cover every Linux version known to mankind. I am also moving this thread to the Linux Support Subforum where you will get more traffic.

Thanks, but I would rather some experienced Linux Users guide me, than to see all these up. I actually started from Wikipedia, but got tried from clicking-through all the Linux Distributions and versions. And so came here. :)

And thanks for shifting it to the right place.

YounGMessiah

Well do you prefer something easy to learn or one that you have to be a bit experienced, but eventually can do a lot with?

I mean there is Ubuntu and Kubuntu, but I am not a fan of the direction they are going now with all the extra eye candy crap..

Arch Linux is good from what I heard, but is for advanced users.

Gentoo was decent, but a bit hard for me to get used to..

SUSE is another one worth looking at

Jen Smith

I could chime in for Mint as well if you're wanting a reasonably painless out of the box experience. (Couldn't recommend Ubuntu for a while till they figure out where exactly they're going with their desktop.) Fedora, PCLinuxOS, OpenSUSE and Mandriva weren't too bad either from the bits I've experimented with. Personally my favorite for the Linux side would be Arch, but I'm a little biased as it's a bit more BSD-like in its operation. But it's definitely not something a first timer should be working with unless you're wanting to learn as you go, as you're building the desktop environment from the ground up.. after installation you've nothing but a console available.. it's all on you after that. Their wiki is awesome for some walkthroughs though (including a newbie "do this this and this" install guide), and you get exactly what you want installed with nothing extra, plus it's bleeding edge current too.

Reacon

I suggest you try out Arch. It's nice building the OS exactly the way you want, more or less, and you'll learn a good deal about Linux in the process.

FMH

Well do you prefer something easy to learn or one that you have to be a bit experienced, but eventually can do a lot with?

I mean there is Ubuntu and Kubuntu, but I am not a fan of the direction they are going now with all the extra eye candy crap..

Arch Linux is good from what I heard, but is for advanced users.

Gentoo was decent, but a bit hard for me to get used to..

SUSE is another one worth looking at

I can only describe it as an 'elegant new user experience'.

Soulsiphon

If you're not a developer OP, why worry about Linux? Really, nobody but developers use it. Stick with Windows or Mac OS where the rest of the planet is.

Barney T.

Thanks, but I would rather some experienced Linux Users guide me, than to see all these up. I actually started from Wikipedia, but got tried from clicking-through all the Linux Distributions and versions. And so came here. :)

There are many experienced Linux users here (including myself). Did you also look at our own "Which distro?" thread: http://www.neowin.ne...ux-distro-2011/

I would discourage you from using Arch or Gentoo Linux from the beginning. It does not do you any good to wade into a more advanced distro (in setting up and implementing) when there are so many that are already set up for you. The best of the "starter" distros include Ubuntu (and it's derivatives), Mandriva, and Fedora. They are all as simple as Windows to install. Once you get your feet wet, you can try more advanced ones (Debian, Arch, Slackware and the like).

Barney T.

If you're not a developer OP, why worry about Linux? Really, nobody but developers use it. Stick with Windows or Mac OS where the rest of the planet is.

Sorry, that is a completely untrue statement. That is not what the OP asked for. His question was to recommend a Linux distribution. Your post neither helped not contributed to this thread.

• Like 5
FMH

Welcome the first general consumer to your community. :)

And plus 1 to Barney

Yorak

If you go to the DistroWatch page for a certain distribution, there are various reviews by many different sources. Not a bad place to look, at all.

I could chime in for Mint as well if you're wanting a reasonably painless out of the box experience. (Couldn't recommend Ubuntu for a while till they figure out where exactly they're going with their desktop.) Fedora, PCLinuxOS, OpenSUSE and Mandriva weren't too bad either from the bits I've experimented with. Personally my favorite for the Linux side would be Arch, but I'm a little biased as it's a bit more BSD-like in its operation. But it's definitely not something a first timer should be working with unless you're wanting to learn as you go, as you're building the desktop environment from the ground up.. after installation you've nothing but a console available.. it's all on you after that. Their wiki is awesome for some walkthroughs though (including a newbie "do this this and this" install guide), and you get exactly what you want installed with nothing extra, plus it's bleeding edge current too.

I agree 100% with your taste, hehe. Arch is a lovely little fella.

I suggest you try out Arch. It's nice building the OS exactly the way you want, more or less, and you'll learn a good deal about Linux in the process.

I certainly agree. It is actually simple enough for a newbie to use, but it can be as advanced as you want it. Installing Gnome or KDE is quite simple. You will learn some about rc.conf, mirrorlist, etc.

I have been meaning to try this distribution -

Have a look

http://peppermintos....out-peppermint/

I know before anyone says it that it is Windows 98/95'ish-- but LXDE is fast and their choice of applications makes me want to try it .

Nothing wrong at all with LXDE. It uses some of the best lightweight tools out there. Openbox as the WM and minimal PCManFM as the file manager. Good stuff. (Y)

ncc50446

I recommend Fedora as well. You easily have 4 choices try out. Can start by downloading Gnome3. Don't like it? Open the Terminal and simply put 'yum install @kde-desktop', and you now have KDE 4.6.5. Don't like KDE? 'yum install @lxde-desktop' or 'yum install xcfe'.

The only thing that is really annoying with Fedora was having to look up how to install codec's to watch dvd's and listen to mp3's.

Mandriva is good as well. I used them for a while before trying Fedora. The only bad thing about them is they are a little behind..Their release cycle is slower.

Fusion OS is based off Ubuntu, so it should be good. I haven't used it yet, and it is still in beta though. But looks great.

redvamp128

No not really, Think about Windows XP on an old laptop with No budget to buy Windows 7. Linux would actually be the choice to keep that one up to date in most cases free or minimal cost.

Soulsiphon

Welcome the first general consumer to your community. :)

And plus 1 to Barney

That's awesome. Have you decided yet or can you update when you do? Genuinely interested in what you decide to run and how the experience is for you.

I guess I should have added that my personal favorite is Gentoo because I like trimming the kernel (and pretty much everything else) for my own needs then building it from there. I have another box where I pull kernel builds from the git for use in my droid ROM's but for just normal desktop applications I really like Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

I've been tossing about the idea of giving Mint a spin, it looks very simple and a good replacement for the old P3 1GHz running XP Mom has been playing solitaire on since late 2001.

Soulsiphon

I recommend Fedora as well. You easily have 4 choices try out. Can start by downloading Gnome3. Don't like it? Open the Terminal and simply put 'yum install @kde-desktop', and you now have KDE 4.6.5. Don't like KDE? 'yum install @lxde-desktop' or 'yum install xcfe'.

Installing multiple desktop managers on top of each other like that has always made a jumbled mess of my program shortcuts in my jump menus. Like, the Gnome version, a KDE version etc. YMMV tho /shrug

FMH

That's awesome. Have you decided yet or can you update when you do? Genuinely interested in what you decide to run and how the experience is for you.

I guess I should have added that my personal favorite is Gentoo because I like trimming the kernel (and pretty much everything else) for my own needs then building it from there. I have another box where I pull kernel builds from the git for use in my droid ROM's but for just normal desktop applications I really like Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

I've been tossing about the idea of giving Mint a spin, it looks very simple and a good replacement for the old P3 1GHz running XP Mom has been playing solitaire on since late 2001.

Wow! When did Mr. Nice came to the town? laugh.gif

Yes, I'm still going through all the names being put through and will definitely inform you guys what I decide to download. So far thinking. It may take a day or two, however.

Thank you, to all the post-345940-0-65759400-1315701705.png who have replied so far! Very helping.

YounGMessiah

Fusion looks good, but when it comes to OS I prefer a stable version.

ncc50446

Installing multiple desktop managers on top of each other like that has always made a jumbled mess of my program shortcuts in my jump menus. Like, the Gnome version, a KDE version etc. YMMV tho /shrug

It can yes. The worst being with KDE, it adds all kinds of stuff. But, they can be easily removed. It was also just a reminder that just because you don't like one part of Linux, doesn't mean you wont like another part of it. Lots of choices.

I currently have to get around to fixing my menu's...I installed all 4, and have my menu's full of all kinds of stuff I don't need...But, wanted to give all 4 a try.