[Thanks for help, I have finalized one]I want to try Linux.....

It's not just the feature set, it's also the UI.

For instance, GIMP is such a pain to use because the UI sucks compared to something like Photoshop.

And I agree, but things are always improving. Right now Lightworks, a video editor used on many oscar-winning movies it's being released on Linux. GiMP this month will release its new single window GUI (And will change it's name too!)

I recommend Elementary for the same reasons people recommend Mint. The difference is Elementary is actually the only distro I know with a clear goal in GUI and Linux redefinition:

Snipped

Some links that elaborate some of the Elementary's developers concerns about Linux distros (This is what sold Elementary to me):

http://elementaryos.org/journal/distros-platforms-and-where-we-fit

http://elementaryos.org/journal/managing-criticism-both-ends

Edit: Also, Elementary sports a range of in-house coded apps that are available for all linux distros but made specially for elementary, all of the based on Elementary's philosophy: Speed, simplicity and GUI standarization across the distro. All thanks to Vala.

http://live.gnome.org/Vala

Just installed it in a virtual machine, and it asked me to upgrade to the new version of Ubuntu...

Looks like they just took Ubuntu and repackaged it, but didn't bother to take out any of their branding.

post-125978-0-12172600-1315846065.png

I'd avoid anything *buntu until they figure out what they're doing with it. But if you want a decent desktop to enjoy Linux (i.e. actually using it and not rebuilding the damn thing), then I'd suggest some of the more newb-friendly distros like Mandriva or OpenSUSE. Both of them have KDE and GNOME versions, so pick your pleasure. Fedora is a good distro too, but they're based almost entirely on "freedom", so you'll spend a little more time getting it up to par with the rest of them. If you're really feeling brave, you could try Arch or Gentoo.

Just installed it in a virtual machine, and it asked me to upgrade to the new version of Ubuntu...

Looks like they just took Ubuntu and repackaged it, but didn't bother to take out any of their branding.

Dont upgrade, Elementary itself warns you to upgrade.

The upgrade appears since Jupiter still uses some of the Ubuntu repositories to maintain its packages.

It's Ubuntu based, yes, that has nothing to do with branding since distros are always modular. Just as Ubuntu it's Debian based.

With each subsequent release Elementary plans to borrow less from Ubuntu and be more itself. Luna, the next version, already uses its own file manager, base app set, windows manager (Phanteon), API, etc.

Dont upgrade, Elementary itself warns you to upgrade.

The upgrade appears since Jupiter still uses some of the Ubuntu repositories to maintain its packages.

It's Ubuntu based, yes, that has nothing to do with branding since distros are always modular. Just as Ubuntu it's Debian based.

With each subsequent release Elementary plans to borrow less from Ubuntu and be more itself. Luna, the next version, already uses its own file manager, base app set, windows manager (Phanteon), API, etc.

Ah OK. Gotcha. I was just surprised and was like, "WTF?"

Ah OK. Gotcha. I was just surprised and was like, "WTF?"

Here's a preview of the technologies coming to Luna, the next Elementary OS. Take note that this post is seven months old. They've advanced a lot since then:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/02/elementarys-slingshot-plank-apps-just-what-are-they-and-why/

I have been meaning to try this distribution -

Have a look

http://peppermintos.com/about-peppermint/

screenie.png

I know before anyone says it that it is Windows 98/95'ish-- but LXDE is fast and their choice of applications makes me want to try it .

Wow that distro looks really nice and clean. I went to their website and it even has an easy install package manager. I might have to give this a try. First time ive heard of LXDE though looks nice and simular to XCFE. Looks promising. Im about to jump ship from Ubuntu I don't like where its going as well. Just as long as this one comes with 3rd party drivers as it is so hard to find them myself.

Linux Mint looks really nice to.

A question for Linux Gurus: Is some Linux distro going to, or is following the approach Microsoft took with Windows 8? And if there is some distro like that, what is it's name?

What approach you mean?

Never thought i would say this but avoid Ubuntu, go with Mint, Fedora or Elementary.

Ubuntu in its current form is totally screwed up.

Remember one thing Linux is not Windows! No seriously, most beginners get turned off about how "hard" everything is to do.

And honestly it isn't, just give it a chance it will take a long time before you know your system in and out like you do with Windows but in my opinion its worth it.

Remember: The command line is your friend. ;)

You won't find a comparison to Windows 8 with Linux UI wise. But i suggest you check out some video's about Gnome 3, I love it.

Never thought i would say this but avoid Ubuntu

I agree.

In fact even Mark Shuttleworth, Ubuntu lead, somehwat agree with you.

Shuttleworth has said that Unity will be in beta mode until the next LTS (12.04). The Unity in 12.04 will be the definitive version.

I agree.

In fact even Mark Shuttleworth, Ubuntu lead, somehwat agree with you.

Shuttleworth has said that Unity will be in beta mode until the next LTS (12.04). The Unity in 12.04 will be the definitive version.

Makes you wonder why they bothered putting a Beta project into their production OS as the default user interface...

Makes you wonder why they bothered putting a Beta project into their production OS as the default user interface...

Because their model demands constant feedback from the users. In the other hand the core Linux userbase it's accustomed to try beta products.

However I do think the Ubuntu release model it's incredibly flawed. Their six months cycle make their LTS releases useless as they promote the in between releases as much. Users just keep upgrading even when they dont need too and the long term support becomes moot since app developers will just support the new experimental version, forgetting about the LTS.

They should change it so the LTS are the only major versions, releasing inbetweeners as experimental versions via dev and testing channels. Doing that normal users will stick with stable and tested versions that will get support from BOTH Canonical and app developers, since the LTS versions will always have more users.

I've read an article some weeks ago talking about how some developers SURPRISINGLY still release for 10.04. That should not be a surprise! That shpuld be the norm!

How can Linux gain users if they force the users to use unfinished and experimental products?

That is why I like Elementary more and more.

What approach you mean?

Dual UI,

One light, feature-less interface; and other full heavy-duty desktop interface.

You can easily shift between the two depending on the type of work you are doing. Light exploring or real productivity work.

(Though it's mostly for the tablets, but also serves this purpose.)

Dual UI,

You can easily shift between the two depending on the type of work you are doing. Light exploring or real productivity work.

IMHO Arch or Debian are the best ones out there which suit your need (highly configurable and has decent UI and UX) but to jump to that level you will have to have some prior knowledge. If you are being chivalrous go for it you can find lots of tutorials on how to install these distros.

On the other hand if you want something simpler, i would suggest you at least try Ubuntu once. Also try Fedora with Gnome3. Both have been criticised, but they are not that bad.

Desktop environments are kind of personal, what you like i may not like at all. So just don't take the user comments at heart, and try to find one which suits you.

Other choices are Mint, PCLinuxOS, Elementary etc.

Dual UI,

As for this, the answer is no. None that i know of. If you want you can always change your session and login into something light weight, but I don't think anything like Win8 is there for linux.