{Poll} Would Microsoft's "riskiest move" backfire?

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would Microsoft's Windows 8"riskiest move" backfire? Why?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

Windows 8?

post-345940-0-72865300-1315851810.png

It is a common fact, that can be seen at Neowin and BUILD blog that some people are not fond of the direction, Microsoft is taking with Windows 8.

It could be the:

• Tiles (which they claim was made on MS Paint)
  • Immersive UI on desktop (for which they assure us their monitor doesn't has touch capability)
  • Ribbon (IE6 with lots of icons)
  • Tablet UI (fugly)
  • Metro (tooo simple, it's for dumbs)
  • Or just because it's something new. (because XP was the best OS ever released)

Could this actually hurt Microsoft in the long run, and be a 'shot in the arm' for the Linux distro's, and the Mac? Which have been struggling for a time older, than what most people are, on the PCs?

This resentment could force people to move, or stick with Windows 7, for as long as they can.

Or

their is an another argument(which I agree with), that Windows 8 would change EVERYTHING! It would make computer accessible for millions more, for it's ease of use.

It would change the image Microsoft has in the consumer world.

Would bring productivity and consumerization at it's pinnacle!

And may bring about the biggest change, a computer program has ever brought about!

Metro would start a design revolution that others would ape.

Beautiful interfaces are made with so few elements and colours, and would reduce the graphic footprint and thus improve the battery life tremendously.

What side are you on?

I'm a mostly Apple OSX/iOS guy, but I thought Windows 7 had a much improved UI, I think my Xbox has a pretty decent UI (if a bit cheesy since they went more avatar heavy), and I think the Windows phones look more functional as a phone than my iPhone does.

That said, I haven't switched back, and I don't see anything in Windows 8 that would make me (yet). I certainly think building a tablet UI into the desktop OS is the way to go though, and I think it's what we'll see Apple doing in the near future as well. In fact, I think Microsoft focusing on the tablet side now is a better long term plan than the catastrophe that is going to be the merger of iOS and OSX.

There's always going to be some people who will find something to complain about, you can't please everybody. There's going to be the group that are perfectly content and stays with 7, a small group that just throw it all away and switch OS's entirely, the whole "it was a mistake to ever leave XP" group, and the majority that goes with 8. Throw in a unified OS across the various hardware platforms (as much as I liked the iPad that's what killed it for me), it's got some significant potential.

A shot in the arm for Linux? Hasn't happened in years, don't see that happening any time soon, the community as a whole would really need to get their act together before it moves out of the hobbyist/misc bracket on the desktop, along with maybe attracting some commercial developers.

I'm split on W8. On the one hand I'd like the new UI on tablets - and possibly phones if they base Apollo on W8? On the other hand I consider this new UI completely unusable on desktops (especially with big - non touch - monitors)?

There's always going to be some people who will find something to complain about, you can't please everybody. There's going to be the group that are perfectly content and stays with 7, a small group that just throw it all away and switch OS's entirely, the whole "it was a mistake to ever leave XP" group, and the majority that goes with 8. Throw in a unified OS across the various hardware platforms (as much as I liked the iPad that's what killed it for me), it's got some significant potential.

A shot in the arm for Linux? Hasn't happened in years, don't see that happening any time soon, the community as a whole would really need to get their act together before it moves out of the hobbyist/misc bracket on the desktop, along with maybe attracting some commercial developers.

While I personally love Windows 8, I'm not exactly sure that the majority like Windows 8. Yeah, if you're taking what you said 100% literally, most people will go, (as in, use,) it, but as for opinions, all I hear from people is either, "Making it look like WP7 is stupid," "They're copying the fact that Lion looks like iOS," or both. It's sad, really.

...BTW, wanaa bet when Windows 3000 comes out, the, "it was a mistake to ever leave XP," group will STILL be around?

I'm split on W8. On the one hand I'd like the new UI on tablets - and possibly phones if they base Apollo on W8? On the other hand I consider this new UI completely unusable on desktops (especially with big - non touch - monitors)?

Well, Mosaic & Omnimo 4, (in case you didn't know, Omnimo's supported Win 8's version of the Metro UI since version 4,) & even that Win 8 start page for websites simply titled, "Eight," ( http://lifehacker.com/5811416/eight-is-a-stylish-windows-8+inspired-start-page-for-your-browser ,) seem to be fine for me on the good ol' Pavilion dv6...

Windows 8?

post-345940-0-72865300-1315851810.png

It is a common fact, that can be seen at Neowin and BUILD blog that some people are not fond of the direction, Microsoft is taking with Windows 8.

It could be the:

• Tiles (which they claim was made on MS Paint)
  • Immersive UI on desktop (for which they assure us their monitor doesn't has touch capability)
  • Ribbon (IE6 with lots of icons)
  • Tablet UI (fugly)
  • Metro (tooo simple, it's for dumbs)
  • Or just because it's something new. (because XP was the best OS ever released)

Aside: Woah, I hit the quote button and the amount of formatting in your post is insane!
Right, going through that list, I'll point out the things that I don't like about Windows 8, and my reason for disliking it:
  • Tiles: Don't get me wrong, it works on the phone. But on a computer I think it will be too simple.
  • Ribbon: I've never been a fan of the Ribbon. It was an innovation that was not needed in the first place, and in my opinion complicated things more. But we've already had this discussion.
  • Metro: I don't have a problem with it, exactly. But I do think it looks simple. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I'll need to give it a go.
  • Just because it's something new: I'm never against new things, and I'll certainly look in to giving it a go as I said above. What confuses me about Microsoft's move in this direction is that they're trying to aim for one operating system on all of their devices. Every device works differently, and has different inputs. If they attempted this the other way round, you would have people complaining because they would need to carry about a keyboard and mouse in order to use their phone. I admit that that is taking it too far, but it just shows how this decision (one OS for all devices) just doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't know if it's going to backfire. I'll wait and see how it turns out.

Oh, and the comment about Windows XP is just silly. There are perfectly valid reasons to continue to use XP, but I don't think anyone uses it because they think it is the best OS ever.

[. . .] On the other hand I consider this new UI completely unusable on desktops (especially with big - non touch - monitors)?

If you watch Build with an open mind, or if you're able to install a copy of Windows 8 on a desktop without a touchscreen and you try that with an open mind, I imagine you'll see that the Immersive experience is usable on a desktop with a keyboard and mouse. It's way to early for you to suggest it won't; we've hardly heard anything about Windows 8, and you haven't used it on such a device.