• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

"WiFi Ready" TVs

Fred Derf    217

So what's the point of WiFi Ready TVs? Presumably they can receive a TV signal over a WiFi link rather than use HDMI or component cables. I would then further presume that you would need a WiFi capable Blu-Ray player or something of that nature. Is it also meant to connect to Windows Media Center or something on a PC?

I'm just trying to figure out if this is something worth prioritizing considering that, like most houses these days, I'm all WiFi enabled in the home.

Thunderbuck    17

That's getting to be a tricky issue these days, because it might mean a couple of different things.

A lot of TVs these days have DLNA, which allows them to access photos, video, and music off your network. But not ALL networked TVs can do this, so you have to be careful. Other "networked" sets can browse the web (badly), or can play YouTube vids or even Netflix. Samsung even has "apps".

The other possibility is that the set is actually Wi-Di ready. This is a new wireless media protocol that some laptops support. Gives you the capability to stream your laptop video straight to your set. Not sure if Apple's AirPlay uses this or not, but it's the same idea.

SkyyPunk    39

I don't think they are advertising WiFi as a replacement to your HDMI connections - it is simply an Internet/network connected TV. Like thunderbuck said - newer ones can often use DLNA to play local content (I have a newer LG that does this - videos looked horrible!). The nicer thing is stuff like Netflix and YouTube built in as well as software updates that the TV can easily get. LG also has apps you can get (games, some media stuff, news readers, weather, etc). It isn't really meant to replace your TV signal or anything, it is just an extra feature to add on to everything else

HawkMan    5,232

Yeah it's for Dona and smarted features like YouTube and movie rentals. Dlna streaming should look as good as on the computer though.

Btw, if it's wifi ready, it doesn't have wifi, but wifi can be added with a USB dongle.

Thunderbuck    17

The other thing I'd add is that this functionality is available through a lot of other devices these days. I really like Netflix on my Xbox 360 (especially since I've got a Logitech remote that controls it like a cable box). I also got a Blu-Ray home theatre last fall that is internet capable and does YouTube and Netflix as well, so I don't really need it on my TV.

Now, WI-DI is another animal. I'd love to just quickly hit a button and have my TV pick up a live mirror of my laptop, but it's gonna be a while before I get a new set...