Skype 5.4 beta for Mac OS X (with Facebook integration)

New Facebook Integration with Skype 5.4 for Mac OS X Beta

You may have noticed that we now release updates for Skype for Mac quicker than ever before. We've released a number of updates in 2011 which included, amongst other features, a brand new interface, video call control bar and HD-quality video calling.

Today we're launching Skype 5.4 for Mac Beta. The launch introduces the same Facebook integration found in Skype 5.5 for Windows. We are excited to finally deliver Facebook integration to our Mac users.

Just like in our Windows client, you will now be able to IM and connect with your Facebook friends without leaving Skype. You will also be able to read and update your News Feed, as well as comment and 'Like' your Facebook friends' posts - all within Skype for Mac. To connect to Facebook, simply sign into Skype, click on the Connect to Facebook tab and enter your Facebook sign in details.

Skype%205.4%20for%20Mac%20Beta-thumb-485x275-20551.jpg

We are also introducing an advertising platform in this new release, but if you are a paying Skype consumer or have Skype Credit, you won't see any display ads; similar to the model that is currently being used in our Skype for Windows client.

As always, we kindly ask that you download Skype 5.4 for Mac OS X Beta now to experience all that Skype for Mac has to offer.

If you want to discuss this new release or have any questions, please feel free to visit our new Skype Support Network. We hope you enjoy the latest updates in Skype 5.4 for Mac OS X Beta.

Source: Skype blog

Download: Skype 5.4 beta for Mac OS X

After a few weeks of making calls using the Call Phone feature in Gmail (I don't know if it can be technically called Google Voice since we don't officially have that in Canada) I tried to call a landline using Skype yesterday and found the audio quality to be atrocious. I don't know how they've gone so wrong...

And now they're going to pop ads in my face when I want to communicate with people at work? Wow. Even more reason to stick with version 2.8.

Is it possible to keep calls directing to my iPhone when using Skype on mac?

I never open Skype on my mac because i dont want calls to ring on it, i'd like to open it and use this feature but when calls come they ring on my iPhone which has skype running in the background.

Those of us running Linux, FreeBSD, and all the other Unixy systems that OSX got based on, would appreciate a non-Beta version of Skype now please, :-)

I would hold onto that executable if I were you... I can foresee a lot of people wanting to use that version until the day where they block it from making a connection to their servers, if that day ever comes.

And then there was SkypeKit. How exactly do they plan to enforce their advertising platform in that?

Edit: Also using Trillian 5.1 beta which now uses SkypeKit for its Skype plugin. Aside from the lack of video support (for now?), it is exceptional. It's a shame they have a new business model for new pro users.

• 4 weeks later...