Windows 8 with purple BG

not possible to easily replace it as opposed to just recolouring it ?

Yeah the purple there that I changed in the screenshot is just an image (there's two so I colored them both) in shsxs.dll > PNG

not possible to easily replace it as opposed to just recolouring it ?

It's rendered by DWM as 5 or 6 different layers (from what I heard at build, using the same techniques they use to render the different layers of Aero), so it takes slightly more than to just replace right now :p

It's rendered by DWM as 5 or 6 different layers (from what I heard at build, using the same techniques they use to render the different layers of Aero), so it takes slightly more than to just replace right now :p

I assume the other colors are in the DirectUI files and are linked to another resource (DWM, MSStyles, etc). If it is it's possible to change its attribute to a local resource. If that doesn't work, it's possible to create an element in between the background and the content and give that element a background attribute and make it a local resource as well.

Right now I'm getting ready to look through the DirectUI files.

Yeah, it's not a solid background image, it's a bunch of layers being drawn individually as the background.

I think this is interesting since it draws it this way, I'm thinking that in the future beta you'll be able to set the same background image as the one you have on the desktop, THEN maybe you can have a layer over it that's like a big window glass with the tiles on top of it, or maybe just add some glass to the tiles.

Yeah, it's not a solid background image, it's a bunch of layers being drawn individually as the background.

I'm pretty confident that I can work around that though with either of those DUI methods. The only problem is since it's not defined in RGB it'll take a lot of try-and-see. Which will take some time.

http://i.cubeupload.com/5SkM4U.png

That's just 1 of 25 DirectUI XML files.

Awesome stuff guys, If you can put together a tutorial once its all done, I can put you up on the front page.

Thanks. It's a little convoluted though the values are elsewhere in the system (it would take someone like Rafael to figure out an easy way to do this)

The first thing I looked for after installing Windows 8 was the place to set the Metro theme color, like you can in WP7 or for Aero. It seems really strange to me that this isn't just an obvious system wide variable.

It looks like a kid's toy computer or something :laugh: not the purple, I mean, just the UI in general.

Or maybe a phone UI? :)

The first thing I looked for after installing Windows 8 was the place to set the Metro theme color, like you can in WP7 or for Aero. It seems really strange to me that this isn't just an obvious system wide variable.

Not to me since it's an alpha build... be patient...

Of course it will be, I'm sure. They are far from finished.

Not to me since it's an alpha build... be patient...

I know that having the UI to change it built might be a while in coming, but it seems strange to build this new interface from scratch and not start out with that as being the same variable across the board.

It looks like a kid's toy computer or something :laugh: not the purple, I mean, just the UI in general.

Since when have squares and rectangles been associated with children?

If you referring to the different coloured icons, graffiti logos, etc... then those are the icons of individual apps. Windows itself doesn't consist of that.

I'm still waiting for Rafael Rivera to post how he changed his, he claims his background his pink...

His way will be no matter what better than what I'm doing here. Still have yet to remove that green strip.

Nice work there. good luck with making it complete!

I find the green too gaudy. I am hoping Microsoft will make the color changeable just like Aero has with the color pickers. I am sure even if they don't the customizations community will make styles for it just like what you guys are doing here. :)