They should just give out a date already. December 2011, right before Christmas break. Please. lol.

We all know that's like asking for something like money to fall from the sky. It's not going to happen. I would just expect it to be sometime around March-May 2012. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they could do an "Invite a friend" thing with the Diablo 3 beta. Blizzard did it with StarCraft 2. :(

For those of you arguing about being able to play without being connected to Blizzard. If this is anything like what was on WoW and the way the servers were set up there, this will takes months if not years to have a full working solution for a "emulator."

First, the server itself has to be emulated to allow for connecting to it, storing of characters, items, etc. This is actually very easy. WoW amounts to nothing more than a large SQL database and the server stores all the items, quests, characters etc.

The second part of that is where the hold up will be. Creating a server emulator will take maybe a few weeks, if even that long to pull off. The problem will arise that the emulator will be a blank map(again assuming it is anything like the way WoW was done). If this is the case, it will takes months of cataloging for a full list of items, quests, mobs, and all of their variations (items and mobs) to be documented and put into a database that the emulator could use.

Even after this process is completed, the chances of getting ever little aspect of the game into the emulator isn't very high. Anyone who has played on a WoW emulated server knows what I am talking about. The AI for the boss fights were programmed into the server, not the client. That meant that when fighting bosses from WoW on a private server, you would see the correct mob, the correct voices and text, but the way the fight went would not be exactly the same as in the legit server. The best anyone could do was attempt to program the AI as close as possible, but it would never behave exactly the same. Many servers gave up and just made the bosses tank and spank because of it.

While I won't have a need for a private server for D3 for a long time, I wouldn't mind someone coming out with a good one so I can play around with the coding a bit the way I did with WoW. Hopefully, nerd that lives in the basement of his house and has entirely to much time on his hands will go through the tedious task of recreating the full server environment for us to rip apart.

We all know that's like asking for something like money to fall from the sky. It's not going to happen. I would just expect it to be sometime around March-May 2012. :(

The rumor at my local game stop is March at the moment. How true that is, I don't know though. I have my collectors addition preordered and payed for already though :p

• 3 weeks later...

Skyrim? Arkham City? AC: Revelations? You will now all wait to be played. I was just sitting here going through some code logic, got an email, and this is it's contents (truncated):

You're Invited: Diablo III Beta Test

Congratulations! You've been selected to participate in the Diablo III beta test.

So, anyone else in currently or get in on this wave of invites? I feel so happy right now, been looking forward to D3 since years before it was officially announced, my buddy is gonna be so jealous that I got in, hopefully he got an invite too but it's doubtful.

Skyrim? Arkham City? AC: Revelations? You will now all wait to be played. I was just sitting here going through some code logic, got an email, and this is it's contents (truncated):

So, anyone else in currently or get in on this wave of invites? I feel so happy right now, been looking forward to D3 since years before it was officially announced, my buddy is gonna be so jealous that I got in, hopefully he got an invite too but it's doubtful.

I hate you. :cry:

Lucky! I never get in any Blizzard Betas. :(

I feel your pain. I would gladly trade all the betas I got into this year for a D3 beta invite. :cry:

So, anyone else in currently or get in on this wave of invites?

Just a second, let me check my gmail. Ummm Nope :(. Wait, let me check it again... darn, still nothing.

Hold on, it might have been eaten by the spam filter....checking...DAMN IT!!!! I want my D3 Beta Invite!!!

Just out of curiosity, are you currently playing any other Blizzard games? I can't help but wonder if preference is given to active WoW or Starcraft players.

Nope, the only WoW I have played is the trial or on private servers, never played SC2, I was a huge D2 and SC player back in the day though (at least 5 years of my life was consumed by D2 alone). Doubt any preference is given to current WoW subscribers or SC2 accounts or anything.

I's got's nothin :( I get a free copy of D3 when it comes out.. and guaranteed access to the next wow beta.. but no d3 beta hurr.

I got in the beta just today... but to all of you that opted in, check directly with your battle.net account, as i didnt get an email.

I just went into my account today, and in the account summary it said i was in the beta, and had the client for download. So, just log in ang go check your account.

Mr.Ed

P.D.

(I really hope most of you get in).

• 4 weeks later...