Be careful with your online identity/presence here!

Well not just here, everywhere!

I just helped someone out who registered here for support a while back, and then left this site for other pastures; but not before leaving his email address visible in no less than 3 topics that he started.

The topics were in publicly accessible areas, so search engines and spam bots will pick them up.

Neowin is a fun place to be, and very supportive because of our great community, but we urge everyone old and new to not drop your guard with personal identifiable information, do not post it in the (public) forums.

If you need people to contact you, require that they PM you, then you can safely share email addresses and whatever else.

Although other areas of the site may not be viewed by guests, as you know spam bots regularly register here too, so even those areas aren't safe to post email addresses openly in topics.

Thanks.

Ah, the joys of needing to point out common sense...

I am always wary of posting my email address. If I feel that I have to post an email address, I use my hotmail address. That account has been hit by so much spam it's incredible...

My credit card number is, 4578 0002 2222 9671 :p

Free computers for everybody !

What's your real name? I put "THE HUM" into the cardholder name field but it was declined :(

LMAO, can't do much without a name, exp date, and security code :p

Not to point out the obvious, Neobond, but who the hell really cares about giving out an e-mail address in public anymore? I don't know about you, but I have plenty of different ones that I use for various different purposes, some specifically for public uses like that. If it gets overrun by spam, then I simply stop checking it and start using a new one. Problem solved. The advice of not giving out your e-mail address in public made sense a decade or more ago when you pretty much had to pay for each e-mail address you had, but with free and disposable e-mail addresses now, that advice seems antiquated. It is almost as pointless as people telling you not to open e-mails from people you don't know, since most malware infected e-mails you get these days will almost certainly be from someone you know.

Roadwarrior, some people don't want to hassel of having multiple emails they need to check. What I do is have an email address called signup@mydomain.com which is used for sites, and if I do silly questionaires etc etc. I also use my old mobile number for the same purpose

Roadwarrior, some people don't want to hassel of having multiple emails they need to check. What I do is have an email address called signup@mydomain.com which is used for sites, and if I do silly questionaires etc etc. I also use my old mobile number for the same purpose

Well, if they don't want the "hassel" that is their own problem. It takes less time to create a new e-mail address than it does to actually sign up on some sites. My point though was that Neobond has no idea if the e-mail address that the person used was a disposable one or not.

Hum, you need to take care of something too! A bot with a Neowin account was looking for you.... rofl.gif

post-345940-0-66382100-1316700463.png

What's your real name? I put "THE HUM" into the cardholder name field but it was declined :(

Something tells me it's, Chris.