• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Nikon 1

Argote    73

Well it is nice, but why would anyone buy this over the similarly priced M4/3s or Sony NEX cameras? They have bigger sensors, better IQ, more features, better viewfinder/screens, more lenses and so on... This is basically the Pentax Q and you don't see many of those being sold...

threetonesun    1,204

I don't get it. Is it fully automatic?

neufuse    4,274

looks like a 80's camera :blink:

guru    323

meh.. expensive lenses and arent much smaller either...

crazzy88ss    65

Well it is nice, but why would anyone buy this over the similarly priced M4/3s or Sony NEX cameras?

The same reason people buy the M4/3s & NEX & Leica cameras?

You can mount your normal f-mount lenses to this, though.

It's got some nifty features... but I don't know if it's really worth it at that price.

Argote    73

The same reason people buy the M4/3s & NEX & Leica cameras?

You can mount your normal f-mount lenses to this, though.

Are you sure? I read the exact opposite. THough given the low flange distance an adapter of some sort would be possible. The question is... do you WANT to use F-mount lenses with a 2.7x crop factor?

Andre    9

8T4Ak.jpg

Why? For the same reason people use tele lenses on 1.5x crop - more zoom range. If it's possible to begin with, why the heck not. Surely, you wouldn't walk around with such an unbalanced setup.

guru    323

Nikon would have had a hit if they had smaller lenses to go along with the small sensor (which imo is decent enough), They missed the ball completely with their lenses.

Slammers    114

Pointless camera. A prosumer camera can be had so cheap these days.

TAZMINATOR    12,416

I just saw a Sony commercial on the TV about their new camera like the one mentioned above.

guru    323
Using a retractable design and sporting internal Vibration Reduction technology, they look to be smaller and more compact than comparable offerings from Sony, Samsung, Panasonic or Olympus. Even the 30-110mm f3.8-5.6 telephoto zoom just about folds down enough to fit inside a (large) jacket pocket ? quite some feat when you consider it offers the equivalent of 70-297mm in 35mm terms.

wooo missed that part..

crazzy88ss    65

Nikon would have had a hit if they had smaller lenses to go along with the small sensor (which imo is decent enough), They missed the ball completely with their lenses.

Wait.. what? Am I missing something... they ARE smaller lenses...

Pointless camera. A prosumer camera can be had so cheap these days.

Not if size is super important to you. There's tons of people that still have old rebel xti cameras cuz they just wanted something that was a bit better than a P&S. Now it's here.

Is this a main camera for anybody serious about photography? Nope. But the world's population is made up more of people who want to take decent snap shots while at parties/traveling/etc than people who are serious about photography as a profession/hobby.

Will I be buying one? Hell no. Will they sell a decent number? I bet they will.

Surely, you wouldn't walk around with such an unbalanced setup.

Why not? I see people w/ D40s to D7000s on big lenses. Even a D3 on a 400mm lens looks awkward!

Steve B.    467

Here's what Engadget had to say about it.

We really wanted to like the Nikon J1 -- we've certainly waited long enough for it. So can you blame us for building up some great expectations? Sadly, this isn't the camera we were hoping for. From a range of colorful body options to the cutesy marketing video playing at in-store displays, it's clear that the company is aiming to make the mirrorless category more mainstream, while perhaps overlooking the wants and needs of its loyal professional and advanced amateur customer base. That said, we can still see the J1 being a big hit, and would even consider recommending it to a few select friends and family members, if it weren't for that $650 price tag. This camera would be a more reasonable option at, say, $499 -- especially if Nikon opted to throw in two lenses -- but until that happens, it's difficult to suggest the J1 as a top pick even for beginners. For now, we're just going to have to accept that the Nikon ILC of our dreams has yet to arrive, as we hold on to our credit cards and keep on waiting.

Edit: This is for the J1, not the V1 as pictured at the beginning of the thread. They are two different cameras, but both use the same system.

Edited by Chasethebase