Speed-of-light experiments yield baffling result at LHC

Isn't the limit of the speed of light just a theory?

everything is a theory, even the laws of gravity, we don't know if its 100% a law or is our understanding missing something that can help us alter it

The neutrinos are probably tunneling through another spatial dimension that isn't curved as much by gravity as normal space. That would shorten the distance travelled - no speed increase necessary.

Isn't the limit of the speed of light just a theory?

You are correct.

But the mentally lazy find it easier to just accept everything they are told, as a fact. :laugh:

The neutrinos are probably tunneling through another spatial dimension that isn't curved as much by gravity as normal space. That would shorten the distance travelled - no speed increase necessary.

That does sound like a reasonable explanation.

What are you smoking?

are you f-ing kidding me man, not everyone is a redneck drinking f-ing bud and watching cars go in a damn circle

here a square car LINK or here

why do people digress on their limited knowledge of what was around them 20years back .... not everyone was in america on the back of europeans developing outstanding technology

back on track

Will be quite interesting to see the papers that will be published based on these new findings.

You are correct.

But the mentally lazy find it easier to just accept everything they are told, as a fact. :laugh:

The speed of light is not a theory, it's a measurable fact, one that was figured out pretty accurately long before Einstein. It's no different than the speed of sound being a fact.

Relativity is a theory, gravity is a theory, but the fact that things will fall towards Earth at a rate of 9.8m/s squared is a fact.

The speed of light is not a theory, it's a measurable fact, one that was figured out pretty accurately long before Einstein. It's no different than the speed of sound being a fact.

Relativity is a theory, gravity is a theory, but the fact that things will fall towards Earth at a rate of 9.8m/s squared is a fact.

The above poster asked about the speed of light limit.

Measuring light does not mean there isn't higher, faster frequencies in the electromagnetic spectrum.

Science has a lot of catching up to do.

are you f-ing kidding me man, not everyone is a redneck drinking f-ing bud and watching cars go in a damn circle

why do people digress on their limited knowledge of what was around them 20years back .... not everyone was in america on the back of europeans developing outstanding technology

Too bad I don't like nascar.

And too bad not every single car that was made in the 90s was square.

And too bad the color tv was invented in the 1950s and became standard in like 1970/1980.

And too bad I wasn't in America or in Europe in 1990.

So you were saying?

Measuring light does not mean there isn't higher, faster frequencies in the electromagnetic spectrum.

The speed of light doesn't just refer to visible light (aka visible radiation), it actually refers to all massless particles and associated fields. In other words, it already includes the entire electromagnetic spectrum (from very high Gamma rays to extremely low frequency waves).

Yes, there are indeed higher, faster frequencies in the electromagnetic spectrum. We know about them and they have always adhered to the speed of light.

Neutrinos have mutated. /thread

Latinos have mutated! (Dara O'Briain)

On topic;

I listened to a radio interview with Brian Cox earlier, and he was suggesting that it may open the possibilities again for other theories, such as multiple dimensions, suggesting that the particles may have taken a 'short cut' through other dimensions.

Interesting quote for you guys regarding this event:

"If you have particles traveling faster than the speed of light, you can in principle go back in time. So you can be your own grandmother. As you can imagine, that causes some problems," said Stephen Parke, a theoretical particle physicist at Fermilab in Batavia, Ill.

So I'm guessing that there is a whole list of other reasons as to why this could have happened before settling on the conclusion that C was exceeded.

But since they did the test a gazillion times, would not continental drift or other shifting anomalies change the results over time?

Not to mention it wasnt the only experiment going on there. If the two locations were all of a sudden closer, all experiments would show this change in result.

If repeated experiments shows this to be true, one can draw many conclusions but in my opinion it shows: 1.) that Einstein was mere mortal and a man and that his "assumption" that nothing can travel faster than c (speed of light) was only made to satisfy his equations and nothing more, 2) man has only now understood the infinite possibilities of science and physics and that their are always exceptions to the rule that man has made, 3.) theory of relativity, quantum theory are all based on the very small and the assumption of limit of c, this would introduce a whole new era of mathematics of > c, 4.) the more rapid advances in technology, the more it shows that all our basic assumptions are false and 5.) everything we know about the universe, light, is gonna change!!!

However, if this is false, it shows that these scientists are lazy and are not calibrating their instruments and clock properly before each and every run.

plus, who's to say that the earth doesn't shift in size by a trillionth of an inch, earthquakes somewhere, whatever... if it made the distance shorter, it would seem faster

unless they have that factored in?

Now you're talking quanta... :D

http://en.wikipedia....effect_(physics)

Also, the theory of relativity is a theory because it hasn't been proven. It very well could be completely wrong and proofs only correlate by coincidence.

If repeated experiments shows this to be true, one can draw many conclusions but in my opinion it shows: 1.) that Einstein was mere mortal and a man and that his "assumption" that nothing can travel faster than c (speed of light) was only made to satisfy his equations and nothing more, 2) man has only now understood the infinite possibilities of science and physics and that their are always exceptions to the rule that man has made, 3.) theory of relativity, quantum theory are all based on the very small and the assumption of limit of c, this would introduce a whole new era of mathematics of > c, 4.) the more rapid advances in technology, the more it shows that all our basic assumptions are false and 5.) everything we know about the universe, light, is gonna change!!!

However, if this is false, it shows that these scientists are lazy and are not calibrating their instruments and clock properly before each and every run.

1. His equation was derived from universal observations. It's not an assumption, it is and has been absolutely true thus far. You make it sound like he created it as a fudge-factor.

2. True, but there will obviously be limits at some point.

3. Quantum is based on the very small. Relativity is not. Just straightening that out for you. :)

4. Actually very few scientific theories have been proven false in the past few hundred years. Obviously the ones set by the church have, but the true "scientists" have been very right about a lot of things that still stand today.

5. Some things we know about the universe will change. And that will come as we explore more. Saying that "everything" will change, is obviously not true. Just saying.

The speed at which light travels has nothing to do with frequency, nor spectrum, lay off the coke.

The speed at which light travels has nothing to do with frequency, nor spectrum, lay off the coke.

I LOLed so hard IRL, I spit out my coffee (with my new creamer, thanks!). I think it escaped my mouth at faster than c, but I can't be sure because of information loss at high velocities.

We know know there are higher frequencies in the EM spectrum, that's how you get your tv signals. That doesn't affect the speed of light, or the possibility that we one day will travel faster than it both conventionally and through other means with less relativistic consequences.

this in interesting because

cause --> effect but it could be the other way around now

anyone would speculate what this might do (if anything) to the string/M theory?

That does sound like a reasonable explanation.

He's repeating a theory he read elsewhere. Here it is in an article on this topic in today's Guardian:

Heinrich Paes at Dortmund University and colleagues believe it might be possible for neutrinos to move through hidden, extra dimensions of space and effectively take shortcuts through space-time. "The extra dimension is warped in a way that particles moving through it can travel faster than particles that go through the known three dimensions of space. It's like a shortcut through this extra dimension. So it looks like particles are going faster than light, but actually they don't."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/sep/23/physicists-speed-light-violated

Of course, it's cooler to make it look like your idea than to reference where you got it from ;)