Update your Neowin avatar!

Many members are still without avatars, because linked ones are no longer supported, or due to the upgrade (which changed the system).

Go to My Settings and select Change your photo... (it's at the top of that page).

Here's an example of my pretty avatar and the various options!

post-2-0-96486000-1317323644.png

We're still working on tweaking stuff and we thank you for your patience.

For animated avatars to show in posts, ensure that the uploaded image is no smaller than 90x90 but no bigger than 200x200 (recommended).

Downscale retains animation, but upscale doesn't

When I click on a front page link, my old avatar still appears. I've deleted this particular avatar because I never expected this to happen and cannot find it on the web. Nonetheless since it's on the front page news it's obviously stored in your database somewhere, is there any way of retrieving it?

9aa63d85.png

Thanks

it was either removed BY IPB or it's an IPB related bug, because none of the IPB forums I'm on have been able to do animated avatars since upgrading

so i'm guessing there needs to be a separate plugin now

Animated avas are working fine on my private 3.2.2 board. I'd show you, but yeah it's private :p

Note that the thumbnails won't be animated (that's a separate ACP setting). But in topics and profiles it should work.

If not, then yeah it's a bug.

When I click on a front page link, my old avatar still appears. I've deleted this particular avatar because I never expected this to happen and cannot find it on the web. Nonetheless since it's on the front page news it's obviously stored in your database somewhere, is there any way of retrieving it?

Thanks

If your browser loads the old picture, a right click -> save as should also save that version :)

It's because your browser has it cached, so it's already on your PC in the browser cache. (Though it may not be very easy to find there).

Animated avas are working fine on my private 3.2.2 board. I'd show you, but yeah it's private :p

Note that the thumbnails won't be animated (that's a separate ACP setting). But in topics and profiles it should work.

If not, then yeah it's a bug.

If your browser loads the old picture, a right click -> save as should also save that version :)

It's because your browser has it cached, so it's already on your PC in the browser cache. (Though it may not be very easy to find there).

K K IT WAS MY FAULT :p

Allow animated avatars (photos) was switched off, *cough*, it must be a new setting, I've since enabled it!

Allowed extensions are: gif,jpg,jpeg,png

Allow animated avatars (photos) was switched off, *cough*, it must be a new setting, I've since enabled it!

It's not really your fault.

The only setting I could find was "Allow animated GIFs in photo thumbs?"

Posts aren't supposed to use thumbnails, therefor they should've worked without that setting. But for some reason it uses thumbnails in posts, rather than the full image (which is actually pretty redundant since the CSS will resize it. You'll only save a little bandwidth :p)

Eg: Your post uses:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/profile/photo-thumb-2.jpg[/CODE]

where it may as well use:

[CODE]https://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/profile/photo-2.jpg[/CODE]

Oh well, it doesn't matter anymore I guess ;)

Edit: well the description does mention "next to posts". I guess they (IPS) did do it intentionally then for some reason. Yay another wasted post then, lol

Thanks, I figured it wasn't that simple as the avatar on the front page news is smaller than the forum avatar. The pixel rate isn't the same, but it works, thanks!

Now Gif is allowed but why isnt the animated Gif is not animating??

I am not sure if it use to work before but it seems like the animation no longer works once uploaded.

Many members are still without avatars, because linked ones are no longer supported, or due to the upgrade (which changed the system).

Go to My Settings and select Change your photo... (it's at the top of that page).

Here's an example of my pretty avatar and the various options!

post-2-0-96486000-1317323644.png

We're still working on tweaking stuff and we thank you for your patience.

K8hHY.jpgphoto-thumb-2.jpg

I see a strong resemblance

Note that you must either re-upload the image (if you haven't done so after the setting was enabled) or the admin can rebuild all thumbnails (ACP -> System -> Tools & Settings -> Recount & Rebuild -> Rebuild Photo Thumbnails).

Else it won't work regardless.

you guys need to fix this horrid lag on the boards.

that's all well and good that you're reporting the lag but that has nothing to do with this thread

Note that you must either re-upload the image (if you haven't done so after the setting was enabled) or the admin can rebuild all thumbnails (ACP -> System -> Tools & Settings -> Recount & Rebuild -> Rebuild Photo Thumbnails).

Else it won't work regardless.

i did reupload my image, did that before i made my test post above