PLANO, TX (CBSDFW.COM) - Support came pouring in Thursday for a Collin County businessman offering customers a break on the price of an oil by asking them to quote a Bible verse.

Charlie Whittington said a woman was waiting for him when he opened his Plano shop Thursday morning, just to offer support.

He took phone calls from people in Oklahoma, Alabama and Florida, all from people supporting his discount idea.

“I really believe if you talk more positive stuff you get more positive things out of it,” he said Thursday. “I want to inspire people to look where they can do more.”

The coupon offer created questions about discrimination from some customers.

Resident Marshall Wei, who had been to the Kwik Kar on Custer Road in Plano before, was happy to find the coupon hanging on his door last week.

Above the promised $19.99 price though, the coupon says customers must quote the New Testament verse John 3:16 to get the deal.

“I think maybe I forgot exactly what it is, and I needed to go look it up online,” Wei said

With the verse in hand, Wei drove to the store and pulled into the garage, but as he waited he started having second thoughts about the offer.

“Why should I be compelled to quote something I do not feel comfortable to quote?” he asked.

After a short discussion with a store manager about the verse, he declined to recite it, and ended up paying more than $46 for the service, more than twice what he expected.

“I’m paying you,” Wei said. “Why can’t you treat me like others?”

Store owner Charlie Whittington is standing by what he asking customers to do for a deal. “If I’m standing for what I believe, so be it,” he said. “Bring it on.”

The verse is popular for containing the central beliefs of traditional Christianity:

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (NIV)

Whittington said he did it as a conversation starter in an effort to talk to people about what he believes.

“It’s one thing about America,” he said. “You can go and do what you want. I’m not making you do anything and I’m tired of people making me do something.”

Whittington may be right that he can make the offer if he wants to. The state attorney general had no comment on the issue and couldn’t point out any laws the coupon is breaking.

Dallas attorney Andy Siegel, who has handled discrimination and denial of service cases before, said with no connection to federal funds, or federal highways, the discount appears to be within the law, though he said the conversation could have been started a different way.

“The study of the Bible has many rewards. I’m not sure that God intended a lube discount to be among its many riches.”

source

Before the mountain of rude and/or negative comments come in, just want to say that the guy's a real smart business man. He obviously knows how to boost sales.

At any rate, I'm Jewish, and I'd still quote it. I'll take 20 dollars versus 46 dollars any day.

Great idea. I repeat it often - because I want to.

If someone wants $26 off the price of (what is it? Oil/Lube/Filter?) is good.

BTW if someone has a problem with saying a simple bible verse, than don't say it, or say it, then take a shot of tequila.

Just need to point out that Mr. Wei is an idiot for thinking he's being treated any differently than anyone else when everyone has the same deal. Take it or leave it, and if you don't like it, go somewhere else. I just wish that shop was around here. Would be nice to go somewhere that has good values, vs the anal rapage that's the dealership for the same thing.

It is like any other coupon, you have to do one thing to get another. Like buy 3 get one free. Why should you have to buy 3 to get the one free? Because the coupon said so. The guy is a genius, he is getting people talking, getting people into his business and is now on the internet, news and other places drumming up more business.

I think it's awesome.

I'm reminded of, "What would you do for a Klondite Bar?" It's great publicity.

As for discriminating... he hasn't FORCED anyone to believe in God, or the Bible.

He did not say, "Discounts for Christians!" He merely said that he would give a discount

to anyone willing to quote a specific phrase. Where that phrase came from is completely

irrelevant.

I think it's awesome.

I'm reminded of, "What would you do for a Klondite Bar?" It's great publicity.

As for discriminating... he hasn't FORCED anyone to believe in God, or the Bible.

He did not say, "Discounts for Christians!" He merely said that he would give a discount

to anyone willing to quote a specific phrase. Where that phrase came from is completely

irrelevant.

Exactly. The guy's not hurting anyone.

Quote a verse to get a discount? Who cares if it's nonsense, if it makes the guy happy enough to offer me a $26 rebate, I'd do it any day.

“Why should I be compelled to quote something I do not feel comfortable to quote?” he asked.

After a short discussion with a store manager about the verse, he declined to recite it, and ended up paying more than $46 for the service, more than twice what he expected.

“I’m paying you,” Wei said. “Why can’t you treat me like others?”

haha, what an idiot!

it's a frigging discount! if you want it - you say a phrase and get it. If you don't wanna say it for whatever reason then you pay the regular price exactly like the others!

Before the mountain of rude and/or negative comments come in, just want to say that the guy's a real smart business man. He obviously knows how to boost sales.

At any rate, I'm Jewish, and I'd still quote it. I'll take 20 dollars versus 46 dollars any day.

you know you opened your self up for a money/jew joke right? haha :p

I'm surprised no one is making the most obvious criticism of this being pretty sacrilegious.

It's pretty easy when you're in the majority to get support for something like this. If he was a Muslim business owner who asked people to quote something from he Qur'an everyone would lose their ****. Or an atheist asking people to reject the holy spirit he'd probably have his business attacked.

This isn't illegal, just very tacky and foolish.

Awesome idea! I'm going to open a quickie lube place and have a coupon that reads: "Flash your t1ts and get your lube job for $19.99".

Will you change your mind when an obese guy with huge flapping man boobs does so and demands the discount? :p