Just got a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L

Hey do you guys find it a bit hard to shoot it at, say, under 1/160? I used to be able to hold my other lens (Regular Canon 28-105mm) easily at 1/60 with perfect stability. I can't seem to do that with these lenses.

I've got the same: it's pretty much as good a lens as you could want. It's not my favourite (partial to the 24-120 f4L for most of my 'normal' shooting and the dirt cheap 50mm 1.8 for everything else) but it's still a damn fine piece of glass.

Shooting any telephoto lens without image stabilization is going to be a bit rough -- this one works better with the "washer on a string" monopod. If you want to consider the IS version of that lens (it's around $500 more), you can rent it fro Vistek.

For as often as I use a telephoto lens without a tripod / in low-ish light I just couldn't justify the expense: I'll rent it from Vistek if I think I'll need one.

Hey do you guys find it a bit hard to shoot it at, say, under 1/160? I used to be able to hold my other lens (Regular Canon 28-105mm) easily at 1/60 with perfect stability. I can't seem to do that with these lenses.

Yup, that's why they make the IS version ;)

There's a rule of thumb that you need your shutter speed to be the inverse of your focal length. If you're shooting at 105mm, you need about 1/100th a second. If you're shooting at 200mm, you need 1/200th a second. Add in the 1.6x crop factor of most canons and now you need 1/300th a second.

The effect is magnified the longer the focal length, so at 1/400 you may even need 1/500 or 1/600 unless you're a stable person :p

Yup, that's why they make the IS version ;)

There's a rule of thumb that you need your shutter speed to be the inverse of your focal length. If you're shooting at 105mm, you need about 1/100th a second. If you're shooting at 200mm, you need 1/200th a second. Add in the 1.6x crop factor of most canons and now you need 1/300th a second.

The effect is magnified the longer the focal length, so at 1/400 you may even need 1/500 or 1/600 unless you're a stable person :p

Oh sweet, thanks :p

I have to admit though, the lens looks amazing.

img0002vxf.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've always believed that makers should do In-camera + In-lens IS, have an option on the menu to select which to use. This way you can IS all legacy and prime lenses (like Sony / Pentax) but still get the extra step in lens provides for very long or very high end glass.