Growl 1.3 available on the Mac App Store

Well Adium worked out of the box and it hasn’t been updated.

I think it’s because his Growl wasn’t started. You have to make it launch when your account logs in, otherwise it will obviously fail at its job.

I think bought it, but I think they made a mistake getting the end users to pay for it, they should have charged devs to include it in their apps.

I have seen this trend a lot with the "AppStore". A few free programs I was using are now paid. I just do without or switched.

It's because before the appstore it was too complicated for developers to charge end users for small purchases (< $5) so it was usually just easier to say **** it and release it for free

I don't think cost is the issue for me. I don't mind paying for an app that is so widely used and useful to me. The concern I have is what someone here previously mentioned, which is, now that it's a paid app how many developers will continue using it as their main notification system?

I'll be honest, I really don't like it when apps (like Skype) try to replicate Growl in their own way. I hope this doesn't lead to such an end result.

I don't think cost is the issue for me. I don't mind paying for an app that is so widely used and useful to me. The concern I have is what someone here previously mentioned, which is, now that it's a paid app how many developers will continue using it as their main notification system?

It might not be their main notification system (i.e. they won't require Growl), but if they've taken the time to build some sort of notification system, then there's a good chance they can support Growl notifications as well with little to no effort.

Do developers pay for access to the Growl framework? I'm not sure about that. I think the framework is free. I haven't read up on it, but according to this page: http://growl.info/developer/ there isn't an fee for developers to pay.

Of course, the worried users posting about their concerns may be thinking about their own wallet rather than how much money each developer gets. Is it a question of why the developers screw their existing customer base by doing this? I paid. I even paid the Chrome Adblock dude some cash to support him and his wife. But, what happened was that the developer kept asking for money on each install despite being registered to my Google account - makes me somewhat dumb to think that more doesn't want more.

Sure, open Growl, go in History pane, and click on the Disabled button.

My concern is that the "Smoke" style is rendered like ****. The text appears to be bold, but it’s not. I have installed a theme that looks like Smoke, but it’s not (at least it doesn’t have the problem). They really need to fix that…

I'll be honest, I really don't like it when apps (like Skype) try to replicate Growl in their own way. I hope this doesn't lead to such an end result.

The cost isn't an issue for me, it's the fact that by itself Growl does nothing, it depends on other applications to use it. It's like playing paying $2 for a save dialog, etc.

If developers can't depend on a notifications system being available (like they could with free Growl, they could bundle it with the app), they'll end up using their own notifications system (or simply stop using notifications if they aren't important)

If developers can't depend on a notifications system being available (like they could with free Growl, they could bundle it with the app), they'll end up using their own notifications system (or simply stop using notifications if they aren't important)

Yup, that's basically the point I was trying to make. Up until now, Growl was allowing some consistency between applications.

Good point about developer support… I hadn't thought of that when I bought Growl. I thought "hey, now they will update it more frequently and maybe even have enough money to start another cool project"

Maybe if they have promotions sometimes that makes Growl free, that could fix part of this problem… or make it $1… Ugh.