iPhone 4S or Samsung Galaxy EPIC S2?

the stat poster is specifically talking about what phone can get better FPS

Don't worry, I still do realize this but he answered with GPU stats when someone asked if the CPU is faster or not.

I thought it was well known that the Android OS is interpreted layer on top of a linux kernal. iOS is not, it has being written explicitly for the iPhone, Android because this, takes a performance hit.

iOS is based on Mac OS X, as far as I know and this article tells me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS

iOS is derived from Mac OS X, with which it shares the Darwin foundation, and is therefore a Unix-like operating system by nature.

Which means both Android and iOS are Unix-based operating systems.

Don't worry, I still do realize this but he answered with GPU stats when someone asked if the CPU is faster or not.

iOS is based on Mac OS X, as far as I know and this article tells me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS

But iOS doesn't have a interpreted layer like Android and it has being written to fully integrate with the iPhone hardware (Apple designed), a level of optomisation Android can't match.

and there's also the fact that Linux and Mac are based off of two completely different Unix kernals

Linux is using GNU while Mac is using BSD

It is not a interpreted language and it has being written to fully integrate with the iPhone hardware, a level of optomisation Android can't match.

and there's this

iOS will generally run faster because it supports a lot less hardware, which means it has to go through a lot less layers.

On the other hand, Android kinda runs on a LOT of devices, so that's why it will be slower in general.

1,2 GHz is still 33% (300 MHz) faster than 900 MHz, so I doubt that iOS will still be faster than Android with such a difference.

Btw, you people need to learn to spell. :/

I'm not going to bother replying to the Android-sucks-posts below me, it's simply repeating what I just said and this thread was only created to decide wether C-Squarez should get an iPhone 4S or a Galaxy S II. I choose S II, you choose 4S. Fine?

Get rid of the Java layer and Google build Android for Motorolla then it'll be a more level playing field.

iOS will generally run faster because it supports a lot less hardware, which means it has to go through a lot less layers.

On the other hand, Android kinda runs on a LOT of devices, so that's why it will be slower in general.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The code for Android (I presume the top level layer) isn't native, it is interpreted, so they have to translate parts of it, there is a performance hit.

iOS is native on the iPhone, there is no translation going on, so it is optomised and faster.

I'm not going to bother replying to the Android-sucks-posts below me, it's simply repeating what I just said and this thread was only created to decide wether C-Squarez should get an iPhone 4S or a Galaxy S II. I choose S II, you choose 4S. Fine?

Who said Android sucks? Don't fabricate other peoples opinions for them. But stick your head in the sand and ignore the fact that on a OS level, Android requires a faster chip to match iOS.

Its simple native code vs interpreted code.

http://ultimibarbaro...-about-android/

This is a old post, and Android probably has improved, but the point stands

Android in its current form has no chance to have the same quality applications like iPhone has. It is not just because of the fragmentation or the look, but the Android programming environment.

Roughly 8 years ago when the first programmable mobile phones were launched on the market, all of them supported Sun’s Java (first it was called J2ME, now the name is Java ME, i.e. mobile edition).

The Java applications were simple and slow. Simple because initial Java ME application programming interfaces (APIs) were very limited and slow because Java virtual machines that time were interpreted real-time by the CPU (which were clocked just around 40 MHz). Interpreted Java is roughly 10 times slower than native code (native code is compiled directly to the specific CPU, which is platform dependent).

During the years many new Java ME APIs were added to the stack, but even big vendors like Nokia used only a limited set of these APIs and the available APIs were different on each device. This was the cause of the big Java ME fragmentation.

That better be usable on the iPhone 4 lol

nope, it will only be on the 4S I hear

I also hear that there's a possibility of it coming to the iPad 2 but that's currently unconfirmed

SK[' timestamp=1318112600' post='594367251]

iPhone, simply because it doesn't run the trash OS that is Android.

So you prefer the stale and locked down iOS that only half asses new features?

So you prefer the stale and locked down iOS that only half asses new features?

Seriously? Name something useful to everybody that iOS "locks down"... And no, Flash isn't a good answer.

If you think iOS is more locked down than any other mobile OS, then you need a reality check...

I'd rather have a sizable set of polished features than a huge mess of features that are buggy and lack quality.

• Like 2

Furthermore, if you happen to have a Mac, keeping the eco-system intact might improve your experience as well.

Do you care about iCloud? If so, don't underestimate it.

Damn, iCloud will change my mobile life a LOT and it's going to be awesome.

Glassed Silver:mac

+1 to this.

I've been using iCloud for 2 months and i've found it miles more useful over the previous MobileMe offering. The iCloud.com portal is pretty swell too.

I just can't deny loving the photostream between my iOS devices and my mac. (Yes i'm aware WP7 does this too)

Seriously? Name something useful to everybody that iOS "locks down"... And no, Flash isn't a good answer.

If you think iOS is more locked down than any other mobile OS, then you need a reality check...

I'd rather have a sizable set of polished features than a huge mess of features that are buggy and lack quality.

+1

• Like 1

Well this is going nowhere fast, you can state the benefits of one system without completely bashing the other. Choices are good people! If you like iOS, state it's pluses and some of it's negatives same goes for Android or WP7. No need to turn it into a complete cockfight over which is better.

Thread closed

• Like 1