So Mango is out where are the advertisements

Felt like posting this almost as a rant

Has anyone seen a Windows Phone advertisement now that Mango is out? Or even an advert for the new phones?

As a potential buyer for Windows Phone I think its absolutely crazy that Microsoft or the carriers are not advertising it. Lately I have gotten the feeling with Microsoft that they think their products will just sell themselves, everyone in buying a phone is as smart as us on neowin. If they are serious about getting there market share up then they really need to atleast match the amount of advertising Andriod gets. I mean Mango has been out for what 2-3 weeks now?

I'm hoping that they are waiting until everyone has the update. I ended up getting it the first day but it's supposedly staggarded. I'm going to keep telling myself this for a couple more weeks, then I'll come up with something else to convince myself of logical reasons they aren't advertising anything.

It's boggling, I love the phone and it's a joy to use but I never see any ads for it. Adoption rates won't increase until people actually know about the product that you're trying to sell.

Yeah, I haven't seen any ads on TV. I have seen some stuff on the web though. But then again, I'm already planning on buying a Mango phone so I recognize the ads more easily than someone who doesn't know about it already.

They definitely need to do something. Who is in charge of marketing WP7?

im disappointed.

Nobody in my country except for few know about Windows phone 7.. let alone know about the MANGO update.

Its pathetic. People ask me what phone is that? (i got Omnia 7) And i tell them i got a WP7 they say what? Whats that? is this a galaxy? if i tell them its samsung omnia.

stupid really.

But everybody is impressed when i show them the UI and all that.

MS needs alooooooot of advertisment. campaigns and stuff like that.

these phones are great and affordable. Specially compared to some nokia symbian crap out there selling for even more than this.

you mean whos in charge of marketing at Microsoft? It was the same thing with Zune. We had a guest lecturer in my class partly responsible for the Zune HD case design. He had asked the class how many people have heard of zune and I swear 4 people in a class of 50 raised their hands.

come on microsoft don't do this to your selves

I'm not quite sure I understand why you care that much. You know that Mango is now available, so you don't need the adverts. And you don't work for Microsoft, so you will be unaffected regardless of if other people know about Mango or not.

and just to add. It was so weird that when i went to a shop to buy my phone only 2 shops out of 15 i went to knew about WP7.. the rest didnt even know about Omnia 7. .they told me that set came out yearrrrrs ago. They were referring to Omnia 2.

I was like Facepalm all the way to the next store.. till i found a store where employees knew about HD7 so i asked them to order the Omina 7 for me.

sad here people who have never held an iPhone will say its the best phone just becoz of their super marketing techniques.

I'm not sure why people pay so much attention to the lack of advertising by Microsoft but it seems obvious that they'd wait until Nokia and the other OEMs have released their Mango-based phones before starting a new ad campaign.

I'm not quite sure I understand why you care that much. You know that Mango is now available, so you don't need the adverts. And you don't work for Microsoft, so you will be unaffected regardless of if other people know about Mango or not.

Advertising promotes the product to the masses. The more people that know about the product, the more potential customers. Wtih more customers, the marketplace will be a bigger target for app developers. Therefore, with better advertising we will see more and better apps for the phones.

My gut feeling is it's as much the carriers as anyone else.

They want to make the most money possible with the least amount of effort possible. If they can do that buy selling a limited range of handsets, then they will do that. More handsets, means more customisation needed of different firmwares, more training for staff in the shops, more advertising, etc - if they can just promote iPhone's (which is what they are all desperate to do it seems) and a few Android phones then that's all they're going to do.

I'm quite keen to try a Mango phone - I've had an iPhone (and indeed just got an iPhone 4 as my work phone) and currently own an HTC Desire, so feel like it's time to try Windows next seeing as Microsoft have given their mobile OS a clean start and a great new look.

Most people don't even know what the Windows Phone/CE OS is, let alone what Mango is (7.5). Having said that, I have seen an advert for a new Windows Phone with Mango, however, it makes no real distinction between the versions.

and just to add. It was so weird that when i went to a shop to buy my phone only 2 shops out of 15 i went to knew about WP7.. the rest didnt even know about Omnia 7. .they told me that set came out yearrrrrs ago. They were referring to Omnia 2.

I was like Facepalm all the way to the next store.. till i found a store where employees knew about HD7 so i asked them to order the Omina 7 for me.

sad here people who have never held an iPhone will say its the best phone just becoz of their super marketing techniques.

if your country language supported and you can buy stuff from the market place then you are lucky

i know a lot of people knows about windows phone 7 but they can't bring it to the market or buy it because our language isn't supported and we cant buy anything from the market so no one want to buy it and they pick android or iphone or BlackBerry or Nokia Symbian

the language of 22 countries aren't supported :angry:

Looks like they are saving advertisements for holiday season,

I think they will increase ad frequency late october or early november....

or may be after nokia event on october 26.

I think they are waiting until the Nokia phones start shipping, nokia have huge marketing clout and everyone knows them as a phone manufacturer, most end users probably won't know what wp7 is they'll just think it is a brand new nokia with a cool OS.

That said microsoft should use their xBox marketing team for their wp7 stuff and take a leaf out of their book.

My experience is that although WP7 is somewhat unknown to the majority of people, those who do know about it and have a handset, love it.

Agreed. I know one person with a WP7 phone and he thinks it's great..

Felt like posting this almost as a rant

Has anyone seen a Windows Phone advertisement now that Mango is out? Or even an advert for the new phones?

As a potential buyer for Windows Phone I think its absolutely crazy that Microsoft or the carriers are not advertising it. Lately I have gotten the feeling with Microsoft that they think their products will just sell themselves, everyone in buying a phone is as smart as us on neowin. If they are serious about getting there market share up then they really need to atleast match the amount of advertising Andriod gets. I mean Mango has been out for what 2-3 weeks now?

One word:

Nokia. Thats all the ads it needs.

I don't think Microsoft cares about people upgrading their existing phone to Mango. The future of Microsoft in the smartphone market lies in their partnership with Nokia and the sales of future Nokia phones.

Microsoft massively slashed their advertising, OEM partnership and channel budgets this year.

That's why you are seeing no advertising. What's more, advertising for this product will begin early/mid November for the holiday season.

Nokia will definitely start hammering away with adds in November. It's just a matter of time..

By the way, Microsoft don't advertise in Australia (excepting occasionally EDD:Xbox) and they sell products just fine here.. There's a lot of retail interaction that Microsoft have with stores and chains that you will never see and will affect the market in profound ways.

The only things I ever remember seeing advertising for which Microsoft makes is Windows and the xbox. It is really strange that they don't really put much money into advertising anything else.

It's because Microsoft's approach is retail level, not consumer level.

They pour money into their OEM partners to do consumer advertising, and they themselves then go forth and train retail/service et all staff to ensure PoS sales strength.

If you ever work for a computer seller, I guarantee you will have met a Microsoft rep or attended a training night in the first 6-12 months. The exceptions are those stores too small to have a cost benefit advantage.

Microsoft's Windows Mobile (6->6.5 and post 6.5 with Windows Phone 6.5) team have always been the black sheep of the business. They'll be getting EDD support though /shrug

Mango is not an OS you can buy off the shelves like Win7 was. Therefore, making ads on it doesn't make much sense. The ads will probably be focused on devices instead. And these devices are not out nor ready yet.

Guys, the ads will come once the new wave of phones hit retail. They're not going to advertise until new carriers get phones in, and also Nokia has to play it's part in this as well.

Whomever is in charge for marketing WP7 needs to get fired. The WP7 platform is amazing. Many of my friends haven't heard of it, or compare it to the prior Windows Mobile phones and automatically think it's crappy. I also find myself doing demos to friends, and most are left amazed. I hope they get some kind of marketing team together, I want to see WP7 thrive.