I love this talk as if Richard Stallman is a saint.

Quote the part of this discussion where it is implied that RMS is saint. He is indeed a saint, however, no such claim had been made up until now so I urge you to point me to any such previous claims or insinuations.

"I used to want you dead but,

Now I only want you gone."

That's the feeling I got too. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the malignant intent behind Stallmans quote

People have choice, they don't have to be locked in, Apple never took away free will.

That doesn't mean I have to condone their business practices. Part of the free market is the freedom for the consumer to complain about a companies products or services, even if they don't purchase them. Consumers have the right to complain, but companies also have the right to ignore them. For example, Facebook may be a free service, but users complaints persuaded them to improve the security and privacy of their service as it was in their best interest.

"The computer as a jail"?

That's so extreme it's not even funny. Mac OSX is based off of UNIX, which has always been a computer enthusiast's background. It's only since Lion that they've started a walled garden OS. iPhones are a walled garden but damnit, it works, and it's not even meant to be a personal computer anyway!

As in not allowing OSX to be installed on hardware other than there own, for starters . . . ?

Quote the part of this discussion where it is implied that RMS is saint. He is indeed a saint, however, no such claim had been made up until now so I urge you to point me to any such previous claims or insinuations.

I guess all this nonsense about what an evil dick Jobs was, while lauding Stallman for this garbage is an implication, if indirect.

And if Richard Stallman was a saint, then he wouldn't be stooping down to making disgusting speeches to boost his own ego while standing on top of a dead man.

As in not allowing OSX to be installed on hardware other than there own, for starters . . . ?

Apple are a hardware manufacturer that put their own OS on it. They do not sell the software to put on other computers. That is neither evil or bad business practice, its the policy of the company, if they want to do that with their own product and look it down to their own hardware, thats their choice, some people might be annoyed they can't get their own way but its not evil.

"He has the? intellect of Albert Einstein and the social skills of Bob the Mountain Gorilla."

That was the top rated comment on the Youtube video posted ( :x), and I think that sums up Stallman for the most part. Contrary to how he acts and looks, Stallman is an exceedingly smart man. All this crap with patent wars on Android? All the crap Oracle gives out against it's competitors? Lodsys? He had foreseen it all 10 years ago, and nobody listened.

RMS holds the unfortunate position of "Guy who takes a stand for free software in the face of a public that doesn't really care" because at the end of the day, someone has to. Free software gives people the ability to take something existing, and build on top of it to create something even better.

RMS's biggest problem is that he's a hardcore geek, and he has a severe case of foot-in-mouth syndrome. You can sort of see why he thinks what he thinks though, but he's not being nasty, he's just being inappropriate. RMS and SJ are were basically enemies in their view of the future of software, but even he admits that he wanted to see SJ's software model lose out to software freedom, but never to see him dead.

I'm just grateful that the quote was already around because I think if the Chicago mayor hadn't used that quote a while ago, then Stallman really would have ****ed this up.

RMS's biggest problem is that he's a hardcore geek, and he has a severe case of foot-in-mouth syndrome.

After watching that video a couple pages back, I couldn't agree more. :rofl:

Not one you guys knew Jobs so why get so ****ing defensive if someone says anything even slightly negative about him.

:rolleyes:

And you didn't know Richard, so why are you jumping in front of his bullet?

This is a forum, we're allowed to discuss the topics posted.

I cant deny the fact that RMS is pretty darn smart. Nor can I deny the fact that Jobs built one of the most valuable tech companies ever made.

What I can do however, is say that comments like this after someone's death is just wildly inappropriate and does not garner friends.

RMS needs to work on the art of knowing when and how to speak, cause he's doing it horribly wrong at the moment.

Not one you guys knew Jobs so why get so ****ing defensive if someone says anything even slightly negative about him.

:rolleyes:

Because we understand normal humans don't celebrate death

Or you can look at it this way:

Apple fanboys are associated with a CEO that never gives in to what others want, loves design and doesn't compromise. Which results in him being known as an *******.

Microsoft fanboys are associated with a nerdy looking guy that is also smart and a great cut throat business man. Which results in him being a dick that gives a lot back to charity.

Linux fanboys are associated with an inept, socially awkward and unkept frumpy man that is just disgusting, but very smart. Which is why most flock to Linus, they don't want to be associated with RMS

Which would you rather be associated with? 1 and 2 their image is a result of how they work. 3 is a results of how just disgusting he is, very few know of him for his work. I went to College for 5 year at Pennsylvania Institute of technology, then Drexel University then worked in IT for 5 years before I even heard of RMS. Gates, Linus and Jobs I knew about before I was 15.

Wow, what an ass hole. Way to alienate everyone from Linux. I'm not even a fan of Apple, but this guy needs to shut up and think about what he says before he says it.

didn't know we could swear on here now. anyways i don't think you need to worry about people staying away from linux, thats the case already.

Wow Richard, way to fail at expressing your point appropriately. Why can't you be competitive but respectful, like Bill Gates' quote on Steve Job's death?

Stallman is a Communist hippie who believes that everyone should also open-source their social security numbers and their home addresses. Not all code needs to be shared - that is up to the person who wrote it.

Which is why I admire Mr. Torvalds a little more.

This person, Stallman was invited to our University some 6-7 years back. He was blasting both Microsoft and Apple saying both of them were trying to restrict the propagation of OSS among the common people. Was distributing some free CDs back then.

Notwithstanding, he should have been a little bit more generous in his comments.