Apple are a hardware manufacturer that put their own OS on it. They do not sell the software to put on other computers. That is neither evil or bad business practice, its the policy of the company, if they want to do that with their own product and look it down to their own hardware, thats their choice, some people might be annoyed they can't get their own way but its not evil.

I never said evil. The topic was a "walled garden".

And you didn't know Richard, so why are you jumping in front of his bullet?

This is a forum, we're allowed to discuss the topics posted.

Look, not a single line of his post is defending the geek. He's merely questioning the need for such heated words and even your ad-hominem attacks... and now, you're attacking him! :(

Is it really so difficult for the known fanboys here to... chill? :/

Doesn't matter who said it but it's true.

I remember when a bunch of Apple employees put a gun to my head and forced me to buy a Mac... oh wait, THEY DID NOT.

Normally I don't have a problem at least giving another person's viewpoint a chance, but for this guy to say what he did about a guy who just died from cancer is not the right thing to do. He's using a death as a podium to share his viewpoint about another mans life work.

"But we all deserve the end of Jobs? malign influence on people?s computing"

That sentence alone is just disrespectful.

I agree. In normal circumstances I'd be interested to hear what he has to say, but he's not going to help himself or what he stands for by disrespecting a very recently dead man.

I remember when a bunch of Apple employees put a gun to my head and forced me to buy a Mac... oh wait, THEY DID NOT.

That's a rather daft statement. Things like supporting and embracing widespread DRM use for media since well he profited directly from both forms of it. Forget doing what you want with your iphone or ipad, only as they dictate both hardware and software wise. Forget being allowed to buy a legit product, the Samsung Galaxy tab in Australia. Forget replacing your battery yourself in your macbook. Forget changing the battery in any apple product at the moment in fact. You don't need standard broad market notebooks with decent specs, you can have a skinny underpowered over priced p.o.s instead.

Then other companies follow suit because "they're" doing it, so must be trendy and industry is held back because of some drip fed lethargic decision that appears to maybe work well for business or fits their agenda but stings the consumers.

could go on and on but you get the picture.

Then don;t buy them then!! You know what I think Dells are a pile of steaming crap, so.. I don't buy them, but for some reason I don't feel the need to go on a crusade how **** they are and what they should do to please me better

Then don;t buy them then!! You know what I think Dells are a pile of steaming crap, so.. I don't buy them, but for some reason I don't feel the need to go on a crusade how **** they are and what they should do to please me better

Exactly! Its funny the people that have issues with Apple seem to be on a crusade to tell everyone how and why Apple is horrible and how Windows based PC's are so much better etc...Guess what unlike Windows users most Apple users are converts, we have used Windows and DID NOT LIKE IT hence why we use a Mac but you don't see us ranting on how Acer/Dell/HP products are a bunch of plastic junk running a clunky and ugly Windows OS

It reeks of jealousy and its petty. Let people use what they like.

Exactly! Its funny the people that have issues with Apple seem to be on a crusade to tell everyone how and why Apple is horrible and how Windows based PC's are so much better etc...Guess what unlike Windows users most Apple users are converts, we have used Windows and DID NOT LIKE IT hence why we use a Mac but you don't see us ranting on how Acer/Dell/HP products are a bunch of plastic junk running a clunky and ugly Windows OS

Amen.

Let Foxconn workers use what they like.

Although it certainly won't be an Apple machine as they wouldn't be able to pay for it with a whole year's worth of salary.

Amen.

Let Foxconn workers use what they like.

Although it certainly won't be an Apple machine as they wouldn't be able to pay for it with a whole year's worth of salary.

A lot of manufacturers use Foxconn and they won't be sble to pay for it either, but hey lets be dumb and pretend its only Apple that uses Foxconn, thou besides another pointless idiotic bash, what has this to do with the thread.

Wow, what an ass hole. Way to alienate everyone from Linux. I'm not even a fan of Apple, but this guy needs to shut up and think about what he says before he says it.

He speaks the truth. Why should we morn a tyrant.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Normally I don't have a problem at least giving another person's viewpoint a chance, but for this guy to say what he did about a guy who just died from cancer is not the right thing to do.
Why? Because his opinion is not shared by a larger group? His meaning was clear: He disagreed with how Jobs affected much of the computing world and he is glad that that influence has ceased. He did not seem to take any pleasure in Job's death. Unlike Apple products, brains like to reach out and not conform to a closed system. We should all think critically and do it as often as we can. We should also be open to the opinions of others even when they don't line up closely with our own.

never really cared for that stallman guy.... something about him disgusts me long before this event....

While I don't disagree with your statement, I feel it should be pointed out that yes, on a statistical level, a high number of ample users are converts, while on a purely numbers based level, you'll find that the amount of converts on both platforms is quite equal.

well, I know who steve job is but I have no idea who Richard Stallman is and it doesn't look like I'm missing anything.

If you have no idea who Richard Stallman is, pick up a book or read a manual.

Ftfy.

No one's been alienated from the kernel.

That is debateable and will always be: For me, it is Linux.

People have choice, they don't have to be locked in, Apple never took away free will.

People are locked into Apple products such as iPhone, iPad and iPods because those apps work only on iOS. 80% of the apps on the iOS App Store costs $$ (please read some market research). If you have been on a contract for 2 years with AT&T with an iPhone and have been downloading/buying apps from the iOS app store, would you be willing to buy or download those apps/alternatives again from the Android Market all over again once you have done so already for iOS? Majority of people would not, which infers a lock-in. Your "free will" concept doesn't apply here.

Apple is a truly innovative company and their influence is the reason why technology is what it is today. What I don't care for is their business practices, how they lock you in the Apple ecosystem of products. But I'm not glad that Steve Jobs is gone, because Apple isn't going to change their business practices because they have a new CEO. They're going to continue to do what worked for them in the past.

Uhh ... you need to wake up.

Stallman is a Communist hippie who believes that everyone should also open-source their social security numbers and their home addresses. Not all code needs to be shared - that is up to the person who wrote it.

Which is why I admire Mr. Torvalds a little more.

Your comment is hypocritical.

First of all, SSN and home address is not source code. So it cannot be "open-sourced". Please educate yourself.

Second, nowhere has Stallman said that. Yet you continue to use Google, Facebook, condone internet advertisements that track users, use of credit cards, use of cell phones, etc. which already are tracking every bit of your private and personal life.

If you think your SSN and your home address is important private personally identifiable information, what are you doing to secure it?

That doesn't mean I have to condone their business practices. Part of the free market is the freedom for the consumer to complain about a companies products or services, even if they don't purchase them. Consumers have the right to complain, but companies also have the right to ignore them. For example, Facebook may be a free service, but users complaints persuaded them to improve the security and privacy of their service as it was in their best interest.

There is no such thing as "free market" that is "good for consumers".

In a "freemium" business such as Facebook, consumers are products. Ignorant people assume they are getting free products. Ignorant people assume Facebook is doing things in their best interest.

Uhh ... you need to wake up.

If you don't believe that Apple has had a large influence on the technology industry, then you need to wake up. Apple may not have been the first to release a touch screen phone, but they sure as hell saw the potential. Apple may not have invented the tablet, but they sure as hell saw the potential. And yes, that is being innovative.

There is no such thing as "free market" that is "good for consumers".

In a "freemium" business such as Facebook, consumers are products. Ignorant people assume they are getting free products. Ignorant people assume Facebook is doing things in their best interest.

Technicalities aside, my argument still stands.

People are locked into Apple products such as iPhone, iPad and iPods because those apps work only on iOS. 80% of the apps on the iOS App Store costs $$ (please read some market research). If you have been on a contract for 2 years with AT&T with an iPhone and have been downloading/buying apps from the iOS app store, would you be willing to buy or download those apps/alternatives again from the Android Market all over again once you have done so already for iOS? Majority of people would not, which infers a lock-in. Your "free will" concept doesn't apply here.

Really, the same point stands for both Android and WM7, those apps will only work on windows or android phones, if you buy them you are locked into them same platforms, you will have to redownload/buy them if you want to move to iOS, the same kind of lock in your are aruging about. Straw man argument.

What is wrong with what he said? He clearly said he's not glad he's dead. He's just glad he is gone. People can be gone in many ways. Like leaving the company and yes dying. In this case for him to leave he had to die, but the guy clearly said he's not glad he's dead.

He speaks the truth. Why should we morn a tyrant.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Because a human being died?

Its not like he was a dictator that commited genocide, he made his own platforms locked down, get a sense of perspective.

Really, the same point stands for both Android and WM7, those apps will only work on windows or android phones, if you buy them you are locked into them same platforms, you will have to redownload/buy them if you want to move to iOS, the same kind of lock in your are aruging about. Straw man argument.

becuase they're different OSes though.