The next Iphone will not be an iPhone 5

Original iPhone - iPhone 1

iPhone 3g - iPhone 2

iPhone 3gs - iPhone 3

iPhone 4 - iPhone 4

iPhone 4s - iPhone 5

iPhone ?(6, 4G, 4GS whatever they decide to call it) - iPhone 6

Get it? By releasing the iPhone 4s, they did release the iPhone 5.

The next iPhone to wait for will not be the iPhone 5. That phone just came out.

The iPhone 5 will be a different design than the iPhone 4. Thus it will be 5.. and not 4.

I don't understand your thread. :[ I'm confused. xD

I think I understand what you're saying. You mean that the iPhone 4s is the release many people have been waiting and that it will only be an upgrade to what they already have and not a complete redesign of the iPhone. When Apple sometime in late 2012 release a completely new design for the iPhone then that will be called the iPhone 6 or what ever they decide to call it. Is that what you mean or am I missing the point ?

Yes, exactly. My best guess will be it will be called the Iphone 4G or 4Gs and not a Iphone 6, but clearly, based on the Iphone 4 being called the Iphone 4, it would only make sense they count from the first iPhone ever released.

Your naming conventions falls apart right at iPhone 3G. The next one can be iPhone 5 or iPhone 4G or whatever they want.

I think that they either break the numbering scheme (which really was only true for the iPhone 4 at this point) and call it something like iPhone 4G or iPhone LTE, or they will continue in a tick/tock pattern of new numbers for redesigns and not stick with pure model numbering.

I could easily see the next phone being a redesigned case and being called iPhone 5, then the next is iPhone 5S with upgraded internals, then the next redesign is iPhone 6. I think that such a scheme is pretty easy for consumers to follow: New number for new looks, 'S' or otherwise denoted versions that looks the same but are upgraded. No confusion about which phones are newer or better, and if they keep up such a pattern it will reduce disappointment when no redesign happens on the second year of the cycle.

iPhone 3g - iPhone 2

iPhone 3gs - iPhone 3

iPhone 4 - iPhone 4

iPhone 4s - iPhone 5

iPhone 4S is minor upgrade to iPhone 4. Nothing is major.

iPhone 5 will be major change, ie: different body design and/or different CPU inside... or some internals..

Edit: Stetson beat me to it.

I think Apple should completely redesign it and give it plenty of memory and power, add Flash support, a super AMOLED screen and a better performing, user replaceable battery. They should release it between the third and last quarter of 2012 and call it iPhone EOW (End Of World) just to go with the Mayan doomsday prophecy. ;)

Your naming conventions falls apart right at iPhone 3G. The next one can be iPhone 5 or iPhone 4G or whatever they want.

No, the Iphone 2 was not named the iPhone 2 because it was named after the big communication technology that i brought to the iPhone, 3G Connectivity. This is why I think the next I phone will likely be called the Iphone 4G, because it will add that similar step up as the 3G added to the original iPhone.

No, the Iphone 2 was not named the iPhone 2 because it was named after the big communication technology that i brought to the iPhone, 3G Connectivity. This is why I think the next I phone will likely be called the Iphone 4G, because it will add that similar step up as the 3G added to the original iPhone.

I doubt they will be called iPhone 4G for next device because iPhone 5 is already being developed then will be released within a month or two after their iPhone 5 announcement.

Why would anyone get a 3G "Iphone 4S" when a 4G iphone is probably six months out from this release? Boy does Apple really know how to **** its customers out of money... They're COUNTING on people upgrading to this phone just so they can drop the iPhone 4g and force their customers to pay full retail for it (think 600+ bucks).... Disgusting.

iPhone 4S is minor upgrade to iPhone 4. Nothing is major.

iPhone 5 will be major change, ie: different body design and/or different CPU inside... or some internals..

Edit: Stetson beat me to it.

I would say the iPhone 4s is a major change... since its using the Dual Core A5 chip

Why would anyone get a 3G "Iphone 4S" when a 4G iphone is probably six months out from this release? Boy does Apple really know how to **** its customers out of money... They're COUNTING on people upgrading to this phone just so they can drop the iPhone 4g and force their customers to pay full retail for it (think 600+ bucks).... Disgusting.

Not really. The people who drop contracts and stand in line are probably a small percentage from Apple's perspective. That's why the tick-tock system makes sense. Most people upgrade every two years, at least in the US. Besides Apple doesn't care whether or not people pay full retail. They get (at least close to) retail price anyway, it's the carriers who make up the difference between retail price and on-contract price. That's why they have high ETFs.

The biggest gains in the smartphone market are not from existing smartphone owners but from non-smartphone owners. That's why Android is gaining marketshare even though Apple's sales keep growing and growing, because Android has a lot of devices in the low price segment. Low priced smart phones are quickly replacing feature phones. That's why Apple has iPhones at the free and $99 on-contract price points.

Back to the topic of iPhone names, I don't think Apple will do an "iPhone 4G" unless it still looks like the iPhone 4. Even still it would be confusing. Which is better, the 4S or the 4G? Lots of non-techie people already called the iPhone 4 the iPhone 4G, just like many who had a 3G or 3GS thought of it as the iPhone 3. I don't see Apple using the 4 again.

This is what I thought, yet for some reason never got around to complaining about on the internet! xD (Not to be rude.)

I have no idea what they'll call it. The only phone with a version number included in its title and marketing was the 4. It would make sense if they called the 2012 iPhone the iPhone 6 seeing how it would be the 6th iteration. The 3GS was counted as the 3rd...

I don't know. I need a drink.

retarded thread is retarded, my money is on 5 but lets all keep the panties on and just wait for apple to make the call.

The thread makes plenty of sense. People are discussing what they think will be next. If apple calls the next iPhone the iPhone 5, then why did they call the iPhone 4 the iPhone 4? The iPhone 4 was really the first case redesign, so it could've been the iPhone 2 by that argument. The iPhone 4 was quite simply the 4th iPhone released, and there is nothing more to it. The 5th iPhone released? The iPhone 4S. So what is next? The iPhone 5? But it's the 6th iPhone released, so that isn't right.

Some might argue that the S is like a .5 but then why isn't the 3GS iPhone 2.5? and then the iPhone 4 should be the iPhone 3.

If you don't have anything useful to say, feel free to not comment. It's much easier than commenting.

Some might argue that the S is like a .5 but then why isn't the 3GS iPhone 2.5? and then the iPhone 4 should be the iPhone 3.

The 3G was named because of 3G, the 3GS was the spec bump with same case design, and the iPhone 4 was called what it was probably partly because it was the fourth iPhone but also because it was a nice progression from the 3xx series. 4 is obviously newer than 3, 4S is obviously like the 4 but improved.

who....the...hell...cares....

companies will call the next version of their devices/software whatever the hell they want. Doesnt even have to make sense. Why argue about something you dont have any control over.

iPhone 3g - iPhone 2

iPhone 3gs - iPhone 3

iPhone 4 - iPhone 4

iPhone 4s - iPhone 5

who freaking cares.