Default Strange oddity with receiver

I've no explanation why (which is why i'm posting!) but suddenly (and for a while) our receiver (Onkyo, came with 5 speakers as well) has stopped letting us listen to TV sounds when watching TV (rarely).

Right now some people are trying to watch something from a DVR (AT&T) with a HDMI cable from it to the TV (or receiver) but can't get sound from the external speakers. But can when the receiver is off.

When I play my Wii (system composite cables) I can't either unless I turn the receiver off.

Yet our blu-ray players (Samsung & PS3) are connected to the receiver by HDMI cables and can get sound.

When the receiver is on the TV won't let us choose anything besides 'external speakers'. The TV is a Samsung 630. I think we have a optical cable going from the TV to the receiver. This used to work, but doesn't know why it stopped.

Wait, so you have things connected to your TV, then your TV audio out (optical) to your receiver? Why do you not connect everything to your receiver like you're supposed to. Sorry if I'm confused, but you weren't very clear on how you have everything set up.

We do have somethings connected to the TV (Wii's RCA), other things. When they get done I think I'll see what options the receiver has.

I think we have it: Something is connected by RCA cables, not some other sort (optical/HDMI) . . . .

Alright, when you can get an accurate description of how everything is hooked up to each other and what devices aren't working, we'll be able to try to narrow down the problem. So far it just sounds like you're not selecting the correct sources on the receiver depending on what device you're trying to use, so come back when you've got more info.