[update] New Xbox Dashboard preview now avaiable

Because there's an internal beta of the new dashboard, and the Mass Effect 3 testing is being run on it. Possibly because it requires stuff in the new dashboard? I don't think it's that hard to imagine.

How stupid of me, not thinking that Bioware would have access to Microsoft's beta distribution system and accidentally slipped it in there. Makes sense!

Next up; iOS 6 accidentally leaked by Windows Update!

So is this going to be the most pointless preview program in history? Isn't the official release date about a week from now? Still no changes...

Kepp in mind you're not getting a BETA version of the dashboard - you're essentially getting a release candidate - with basically everything feature complete and bug tested to hell and back internally. It's only put out every to make sure there's not any super obscure bug still hiding around, and making sure it's not going to go out bricking people's consoles. But they're essentially happy with it more-or-less being finished. If all goes well they could push out the final dashboard by the end of this month.

And of course it builds up a little excitement :p

Kepp in mind you're not getting a BETA version of the dashboard - you're essentially getting a release candidate - with basically everything feature complete and bug tested to hell and back internally. It's only put out every to make sure there's not any super obscure bug still hiding around, and making sure it's not going to go out bricking people's consoles. But they're essentially happy with it more-or-less being finished. If all goes well they could push out the final dashboard by the end of this month.

And of course it builds up a little excitement :p

True I'm just saying beta out of habit. They could never really do an xbox beta, too much risk of breaking a lot of people's xbox's permanently :)

Logic tells us that it won't come out over the weekend anyway. I am betting on Monday-Wednesday timeframe of coming week.

Logic tells us that it won't come out over the weekend anyway. I am betting on Monday-Wednesday timeframe of coming week.

If its like every other preview, the major releases on Tuesday with minor updates through out the week. If we don't see the update by this Tuesday, i will be slightly disappointed though :)

If its like every other preview, the major releases on Tuesday with minor updates through out the week. If we don't see the update by this Tuesday, i will be slightly disappointed though :)

The previous system update preview was released on a Thursday. The previous dashboard preview was released on a Wednesday. "Patch Tuesday" does not apply to previews, betas, or any of that. Patch Tuesday is just when Microsoft releases final versions of updates for its operating systems and software, nothing more.

How stupid of me, not thinking that Bioware would have access to Microsoft's beta distribution system and accidentally slipped it in there. Makes sense!

Next up; iOS 6 accidentally leaked by Windows Update!

Huh? Yes of course Bioware work with the MS beta distribution system, they are headline Xbox developers. It is in both MS and Bioware's best interests to make sure their new systems work together. (Hell, a previous beta included testing of Halo: Reach - it's just that that was intentionally public, and a finished game)

Your analogy is ridiculous.

Good news later this week... that it will be released next week? :laugh:

This whole thing has been a disaster. I'm sorry but Microsoft had no business announcing any kind of "preview" when they did. And I think MajorNelson is only making it worse. Hyrb has no business saying stuff like that - just wait until you are actually ready THEN make the announcement. Typical Microsoft though, beating the drum to no discernible rhythm.

This whole thing has been a disaster. I'm sorry but Microsoft had no business announcing any kind of "preview" when they did. And I think MajorNelson is only making it worse. Hyrb has no business saying stuff like that - just wait until you are actually ready THEN make the announcement. Typical Microsoft though, beating the drum to no discernible rhythm.

I fail to understand what you meant to say there. :blink:

I fail to understand what you meant to say there. :blink:

What I meant was he shouldn't be sitting there saying "I'll have information at the end of the week". Just wait until the end of the week and make the announcement. Why make an announcement for an announcement?

All it does is stir the pot. I don't get what's taking so damn long. It's as if this is Microsoft's first time giving a preview of the Xbox 360 Dashboard.

My guess is that something major went over deadline, hence the delay. All companies do it.

If it comes before Thanksgiving, I'll be happy. On the other hand, who knows if this will still be a "Fall" update for everyone.

Whats the big deal, its not as if anyone's Xbox wont work till they get the preview. And its just that, a preview and everyone will actually get this FREE dashboard update so whats to get all riled up about?

They probably ran into a big bug and had to delay it OR some last minute deal regarding Live TV (which should be part of the preview i'd guess?) happened and now you have to wait. I personally didn't sign up for this so I don't mind I'll just wait for it to come out like everyone else. But I guess they'll call it the Winter update now, heh.

Going to enjoy the new update (whenever it comes), I wonder how the dashboard is going to work with a controller though :/

And this dashboard best be native 1080p damn it.

I bet the mass effect leak *beep* it all up. They're being extra careful now.

Language tut tut :D