· Linux kernel 3.0.4;

· X.Org 7.6;

· Xorg Server 1.10.4;

· Upstart 1.3;

· GCC 4.6 toolchain;

· Python 2.7.2;

· Compiz Fusion 0.9.6.

The Ubuntu 11.10 feature tour:

· Improved desktop experience - yes, still powered by the Unity launcher and panel, now ported to GTK3 and offering advance filtering options and multiple sources;

· Two login methods - 3D interface or 2D interface, both powered by Unity;

· Breathtaking new login screen - powered by LightDM;

· A new Alt+Tab switcher - looks awesome and offers window preview;

· 14 new wallpapers - from various photographers around the world;

· Improved default theme - the default Ambiance theme has been once again improved;

· Totally new Ubuntu Software Center - with a redesigned and professional interface, it now includes lots of enhancements;

· Next-gen web browser - Mozilla Firefox 7.0 is once again the default web browser, doing a very good job;

· Next-gen email and calendar client - Mozilla Thunderbird 7.0 is now the default mail client;

· New default backup tool - powered by Deja Dup, storing secure copies of your important documents;

· Hybrid CD/USB ISO images - allows to write the ISO images directly on USB disks;

· Multiarch support - 32-bit compatibility on 64-bit systems;

· Support for the ARM architecture - available on the Server edition;

· Introducing Juju - the modern approach to cloud service orchestration and deployment;

· New music lens - linked to Banshee, to easily search local and online music;

· Support for scripting languages - including Japanese, Chinese and Korean;

· DVD image - with all the powerful apps you need;

· ...and many more other small features for you to discover!

http://news.softpedi...ed-227456.shtml

I`m never first to post exciting new news, so if I have missed the thread about this, feel free to remove or merge :D

• Like 2

Cool, will update my laptop later. Hopefully it will reset unity back to defaults, as I started messing about with compiz and couldn't get my taskbar back. :-/ Even with --reset or something or other I was stuck with using 2D from the login screen.

Cool, will update my laptop later. Hopefully it will reset unity back to defaults, as I started messing about with compiz and couldn't get my taskbar back. :-/ Even with --reset or something or other I was stuck with using 2D from the login screen.

Yea I've broken Ubuntu countless times with Compiz

Great news. Can't wait for MINT to be ready! Ubuntu is useless for me since Unity.

Last I checked you could install another desktop environment. :)

Last I checked you could install another desktop environment. :)

Clicking the drop down box at login is hard! :laugh:

Anyway, great news. I'm stuck on 11.04 for now here at work because I have to wait for some apps to be updated to support it. I'm glad to see Unity moving to GTK3, that's the biggest news to me in the update. The updated and refined Unity might actually keep me on it for a little while. 11.04's Unity was horrible. I'll look forward to testing this out.

Installer hangs midway through. Went back to Arch.

I'd rather go without package signing and take my chances than deal with this garbage.

Will be loading this in a Virtual Machine, but I'm pretty stuck on Debian, so I doubt I'll do much with it other than check it out in a VM.

any way to update from my 11.04 ? now nevermind google > me lol

I see you figured it out, but for everyone else, press ALT+F2, then type update-manager -d

I'm going to wait for the next LTS

although this looks awfully tempting

Yep,

Same here. Just started playing with 11.04 anyway. Usually not an Ubuntu fan, but felt like experimenting. Definitely better than it was last time I tried it. Nothing worse than having to re-do your stuff every 6 months!!

I see you figured it out, but for everyone else, press ALT+F2, then type update-manager -d

Stupid question, I know, but after I did this and clicked the "Upgrade" button for 10.10...the release notes state that this is a "Release Candidate"...have they updated the server with the released 10.10?

I'm going to wait for the next LTS

although this looks awfully tempting

Yep,

Same here. Just started playing with 11.04 anyway. Usually not an Ubuntu fan, but felt like experimenting. Definitely better than it was last time I tried it. Nothing worse than having to re-do your stuff every 6 months!!

why would you wait for an LTS unless you are using it for business?

and its very easy to update to the current version.

why would you wait for an LTS unless you are using it for business?

and its very easy to update to the current version.

True but I don't feel ready, since I'm using this laptop for school I don't want to risk anything unexpected (although chances of that are low)

Stupid question, I know, but after I did this and clicked the "Upgrade" button for 10.10...the release notes state that this is a "Release Candidate"...have they updated the server with the released 10.10?

Hmm... no, that's a good question. It shouldn't say RC, the final version should be up. I'm not sure why it would do that. Perhaps give it a little while and try again? I can't update myself because I'm on my work computer and need certain apps to be updated first.