Ubuntu 11.10 Officially Released

So, after upgrading to this, you will not be able to use Gnome 2 classic desktop?

Gnome would be gone but you still can download and use gnome from software centre if you want....

but i think unity2D and Unity 3D is better than Gnome shell...

True but I don't feel ready, since I'm using this laptop for school I don't want to risk anything unexpected (although chances of that are low)

you would still risk upgrading to LTS .

So, after upgrading to this, you will not be able to use Gnome 2 classic desktop?

You cannot use Gnome 2's desktop on Ubuntu 11.10 because they have upgraded everything like gtk to 3.x. You can, however, use Gnome 3. If you need to use an older version of Gnome, you need to stick with an older version of Ubuntu. Everything will start using Gnome 3 from here on out.

There is, however, an option to install a package called gnome-session-fallback which is not gnome2, but kind of looks like it. But from what I've heard it's pretty incomplete and doesn't work all too well. I'm not sure if that's something that's in continued development and will get better or not, but it's an option. Here's more info about it: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/08/installing-using-classic-gnome-desktop.html

I took the plunge and upgraded, encountered a few errors with flash plugin not being compatible but otherwise it went alright.

I noticed everything is a lot smoother even on this Inspiron 6400 (Core Duo) with 1GB of DDR2 RAM.

Memory usage has gone down by 350MB (prev. usage 760MB) with 3 tabs Firefox 7.0 opened, this is looking mighty impressive.

I'll add that I'm currently learning bash shell so that when I attain enough knowledge with CLI, It's my goal that I can replace my other Windows 7 based laptop with GNU/Linux.

Ubuntu is a great start to look into Linux (Y)

It has somehow crippled my internet. Takes at least 5 minutes to load a webpage and apt-get is also slow. I dual boot with Win7 and that works just fine (using it now) as does my desktop. Whenever I try to use synaptic, it just closes on me with no output to the terminal.Ubuntu Software Center is missing. Also my gtk theme seems to be broken too with switching themes making no difference. Every window looks like it's from Win95. Really unimpressed with this release.

Buggy as hell. Some of the Unity keyboard shortcuts do not work. Such as Super + D to minimize all windows. There was another one too that does not work, but the minimize one is the most important to me. Also, changing resolution in games makes everything crash. I tried Warsow and Sauerbraten (using ATI proprietary drivers). They worked fine at default low ass resolution but as soon as I try to switch it, everything crashes. The last problem I have is that occasionally the Unity Bar no longer becomes visible if I hover over that side. It works most of the time, but sometimes running a browser full-screen and trying to hover at the left does nothing.

Anybody else experiencing these issues?

Buggy as hell. Some of the Unity keyboard shortcuts do not work. Such as Super + D to minimize all windows. There was another one too that does not work, but the minimize one is the most important to me. Also, changing resolution in games makes everything crash. I tried Warsow and Sauerbraten (using ATI proprietary drivers). They worked fine at default low ass resolution but as soon as I try to switch it, everything crashes. The last problem I have is that occasionally the Unity Bar no longer becomes visible if I hover over that side. It works most of the time, but sometimes running a browser full-screen and trying to hover at the left does nothing.

Anybody else experiencing these issues?

I can confirm the super + d issue, but for me 11.10 seems overall much less buggy than 11.04. They FINALLY fixed the most annoying unity/compiz but (where if you minimized a maximized windows it would leave artifacts near the top left and render other windows unresponsive, this is what lead me to switch to gnome-shell) I also ran into the issue with the dock not showing itself back when I tried the 11.10 beta, but haven't ran into it on the final so far.

I'm giving unity another shot and it seems to be working well. One thing I really hate about ubuntu though, is using 3 finger tap to middle click does not work. This works out of the box in every other distro I've used. The bug report for the issue said just not using unity would fix it, but it does the same thing in gnome-shell :/. Another issue is bringing up the dash still seems kind of laggy, especially in comparison to bringing up gnome-shells activities view.)

On a positive note the new application switcher is a huge improvement, and there are little polishes all around (like the nice fade effect on the global menu. Unity finally seems usable to me, I think they will finally nail it on 12.04. I think overall I still prefer gnome-shell though, but I am sticking with unity for now due to an annoying random freezing issue I am getting with gnome-shell.

Upgraded my netbook to Ubuntu 11.10, which was pretty painless, few teetthing problems around the WiFi setup. Seems like the wireless card wasn't getting detected after the upgrade. It's not like it's a new machine, but I had to root around the Ubuntu forums for the solution and drivers. Got to say that is a great support community, hat's off to them.

Generally I'm happy with it, seems a bit snappier than 11.04. I never liked Unity the first time round but they seem to have made a few improvements making it a bit more user friendly. Not sure yet if I'll be installing the Gnome shell, only time will tell

The boot up time is greatly improved, now I just have to go and play.

It definitely does seem a lot faster than 11.04. 11.04 was very slow for me, even on good hardware. Significantly improved boot speed and apps are opening a lot faster.

I know you can change the default looks of ubuntu but out of the box i really do not like the colors of this distro .

I wonder why they keep things like this - for me a nice blue / grey or anything other then purple pinks browns yuck

but i must say it is a nice linux distro

There's really not anymore browns in the default style, just black/white/orange/purple. I think it looks decent, but could use more refinement. It really needs a revamped icon theme and anti-aliased window borders (this was supposed to land in 11.10 but compiz regressed :( )

Just finished updating my guest PC. While Ubuntu has greatly been improved compared to a couple of years ago I can't help but feel it has this amateuristic look to it. Especially the laucher still looks ghastly the extra insanely fat transparent border and huge search field serves no purpose whatsoever.

Not sure why they're trying so hard to copy OS X Lion (Dock, Menu Bar, borderless design, scroll bars, system settings etc.).

The underlying operating system is not that stable, i understand they are based on Debian unstable, but using software that still has some bugs and has not been out of beta for years (ie Grub 2) is really a bad idea. I've had problems with every grub2 release of Ubuntu.

The underlying operating system is not that stable, i understand they are based on Debian unstable, but using software that still has some bugs and has not been out of beta for years (ie Grub 2) is really a bad idea. I've had problems with every grub2 release of Ubuntu.

Most major distros are moving to grub 2, it may still technically be in beta but its quite stable and an improvement over legacy grub. Legacy grub isn't even being maintained anymore (besides limited bugfixes to keep it working on old hardware). The move to grub 2 is necessary.

I've never had any issues with grub2.

I ended up going back into my Win7 partition, deleting Ubuntu and reinstalling 11.04. It was just too much for me to keep 11.10. I know what the problem was for my theme issue. I needed to change the theme via qt-configqt3 but it wouldn't let me set it as gtk+ like I could with v4. The internet issue is just mind boggling though. I have no problems now as I've gone back. Today update manager popped up and asked me if I wanted to upgrade I told it where to go promptly.

no classic desktop option... i wont upgrade so far

Linus Torvalds - While you are at it, could you also fork gnome, and support a gnome-2 environment?

I want my sane interfaces back. I have yet to meet anybody who likes the unholy mess that is gnome-3.

gnome 3 and unity its just bad, uncustomizable and forced experience it seems like a trend, windows 8 metro its going that path too...

Most major distros are moving to grub 2, it may still technically be in beta but its quite stable and an improvement over legacy grub. Legacy grub isn't even being maintained anymore (besides limited bugfixes to keep it working on old hardware). The move to grub 2 is necessary.

I've never had any issues with grub2.

Thing is that i have problems with grub 2 and my motherboard that is 4 years old (manufacture-wise) that i bought 2 years ago. And i have no problem with it when using grub 1 distros (including older 'buntus). I've had a problem with every grub2 distro.

I find it very weird to have software in LTS releases that after at least 2 years is still in beta.

99% percent of the time Ubuntu is shuffling around cosmetic packages around that distro. Most of the time they don't care about upstream.

This saddens me a lot as i used to absolutely love Ubuntu.

no classic desktop option... i wont upgrade so far...

...gnome 3 and unity its just bad, uncustomizable and forced experience it seems like a trend, windows 8 metro its going that path too...

You can retrofit xfce with some of the things you were used to in gnome 2. If you are of fan of gnome2 prey that the mouse desktop environment people don't get dellusions of grandure.

WUBI fails to install on existing Windows partition and there is still no way to install Ubuntu on its own partition from a mounted ISO within Windows.

Disappointing.