Nokia 710 Windows Phone specs revealed on developer page

And my point that YOU have been arguing, that I quite clearly stated I the first comment of this. Was that all else being equal, a sensor of the same quality as the new 8mpx sensor but with 5mpx would give better images.

Never did I say that the iPhone 4S didn't have a better camera than the 4 or even most other phones out there. Not sure about the N8 and the exmor Xperia phones though.

Also the actual argument that was on topic was the the fact that this phone had a 5 mpx camera made it a low end phone. Which it what I primarily contested. Then again, according to his own argument that would make the iPhone 4 a low end phone since it only had a 5 mpx camera when other high end phones where doing 8 and even 12 ;) :p

Prove it. Cite me some information that proves your comment, because I actually don't buy it. Show me a 5mpx sensor with 1080p capabilities that offers a "better" image than the one sony have made which is in the iPhone 4S.

Prove it. Cite me some information that proves your comment, because I actually don't buy it. Show me a 5mpx sensor with 1080p capabilities that offers a "better" image than the one sony have made which is in the iPhone 4S.

Just wait for comparisons with the Galaxy Nexus to show up. Samsung has done plenty of 8MP cameras in their phones, they didn't just drop the count to 5MP for no reason in a flagship phone.

The 8mpx sensor in the iPhone 4S is offering 1080p recording and better sensitivity than the 5mpx ( don't believe this sensor is capable of 1080p?). That is a good reason to use it. This combined with the glass upgrade, larger aperture AND improved processing means it's a great camera. Stop arguing for arguments sake. It's rediculous.

The sensor is capable of 1080p, it's the processor in the iPhone 4 that isn't.

Actually, here's some preliminary stuff. https://thisismynext.com/2011/10/19/galaxy-nexus-vs-iphone-4s/

With some pictures there isn't a huge difference, but the Galaxy Nexus definitely has a better image than the 4S with the side profile shot of the guy in the restaurant. The rest of them I can't pick a clear winner, but it goes to show that it's certainly better to get a better picture quality out of the 5MP camera than an 8MP one.

Actually, here's some preliminary stuff. https://thisismynext...s-vs-iphone-4s/

With some pictures there isn't a huge difference, but the Galaxy Nexus definitely has a better image than the 4S with the side profile shot of the guy in the restaurant. The rest of them I can't pick a clear winner, but it goes to show that it's certainly better to get a better picture quality out of the 5MP camera than an 8MP one.

I'm not arguing that you need more mpx to get a better image... I know all this, I work with cameras daily. My argument is there is more to a sensor and camera than its pixel count be it for the higher or lower.

Those image comparisons are interesting and after some googling you are correct, the old iPhone 4 sensor from omni vision is capable of 1080p. Looks like the 4S has some focusing problems there.

The physics I'm talking about don't have anything to do with the glass. The glass helps. But I'm talking with optimal glass and all that, unless phones increase the size of their lens and sensor. Physics means 4-5 megapixels is the optimal solution. Signal processing and post process noise reduction has a separate issueand nothing that should be counted in the base qualit of the camera as noise reduction itself reduces picture quality.

Yes, but the iPhone 4 had a Terrible camera. The point still stands that if the iPhone 4S had used a 5 mpx camera with all the other improvements it would have been and even better camera. So why didn't they do this? Because 9 of 10 people still think that megapixels make a better camera. Especially on phones, because that's what the industry has thought them. Partly by not correcting them, and partly by making all phones with a 5mpx camera have plastic lenses and ****ty sensors. While they have only use the good hardware on the higher mpx cameras. Which is again because people think higher mpx is better, which again is because that's what they tell them. Circular argument.

no it didn't...

I'm not arguing that you need more mpx to get a better image... I know all this, I work with cameras daily. My argument is there is more to a sensor and camera than its pixel count be it for the higher or lower.

Those image comparisons are interesting and after some googling you are correct, the old iPhone 4 sensor from omni vision is capable of 1080p. Looks like the 4S has some focusing problems there.

You asked for proof that there's a 5MP camera that produces a better image than the 8MP one in the 4S. It's not a comprehensive comparison, but it does show that the Galaxy Nexus likely will have a better camera for image quality and overall performance than the 4S. And it's a fair comparison, since you could probably get a 3MP dedicated camera to produce a better picture than any smartphone camera if you know what you're doing. It's smartphone to smartphone, so apples to apples. Samsung did an excellent job there, and I'm quite looking forward to seeing their stuff with zero shutter lag (that I imagine is more feasible with a 5MP than 8MP) show up in other phones.

You asked for proof that there's a 5MP camera that produces a better image than the 8MP one in the 4S. It's not a comprehensive comparison, but it does show that the Galaxy Nexus likely will have a better camera for image quality and overall performance than the 4S. And it's a fair comparison, since you could probably get a 3MP dedicated camera to produce a better picture than any smartphone camera if you know what you're doing. It's smartphone to smartphone, so apples to apples. Samsung did an excellent job there, and I'm quite looking forward to seeing their stuff with zero shutter lag (that I imagine is more feasible with a 5MP than 8MP) show up in other phones.

The 4S has zero shutter lag that's part of the sensors design along with intelligent binning.

I am happy to concede that the nexus is producing very good images, though doesn't it have quite a large lens comparatively speaking compared with the 4S therefore meaning it has more light on it? And yes, with the right glass a 3mpx sensor will outshine 12mpixel with awful lenses in front of it.

no it didn't...

Compared to the N8 or the exmor equipped xperias, yes it did.

Ok it's not a terrible camera. But it was. It could have been much better. And it certainly wasn't better than any other phones in the same price segment at the time at a pure PQ level. On a subjective level many users preferred the iPhone 4 pictures due to the post processing of over saturating and increasing contrast. But at a technical level it couldn't compete with other phones on sharpness or focus, especially edge focus was terrible.