McDonald's Cashier beats unruly customers during argument

New York (CNN) -- A cashier at a New York fast food restaurant has been charged with felony assault for beating two unruly customers with a metal object during an argument.

The women remain hospitalized in serious condition, police said.

The incident occurred at a McDonald's on West 3rd Street about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday.

The two 24-year-old women entered the store, placed their order and then began arguing with the cashier, 31-year-old Rayon McIntosh, police said.

CNN affiliate WCBS said the altercation began when the cashier questioned a $50 bill the women gave him. They responded by hurling obscenities at him.

A cell phone video shows how the situation quickly escalated.

One of the women curses at the cashier, then reaches over and slaps his face.

The woman then climbs over the counter, sending the cashier running toward the kitchen area. The other woman walks around to join her friend.

The cashier then suddenly reappears with what police described as a metal object and repeatedly hits the women.

Restaurant patrons scream for him to stop, while other employees try to intervene.

The video, one minute and 10 seconds long, shows the cashier hitting the women 10 times as they lay on the floor.

"Stop! Stop!" one woman screams. "Stop it! Call the cops!"

The cashier would pause and begin again every time the women tried to get up.

The two women suffered lacerations to their head and face and were taken to a hospital, police said. CNN affiliates said one had a fractured skull and a broken arm; the other had a deep laceration

Authorities identified them as Denise Darbeau and Rachael Edwards, and charged them with menacing, criminal trespass and disorderly conduct.

The franchise owner Carmen Paulino told CNN affiliate WABC that the cashier no longer works at the restaurant.

"I am extremely disturbed by the events captured on tape and am concerned for those injured," Paulino said. "The actions of this individual are unacceptale and not characteristic of my employees."

McDonald's too released a statement, saying the franchisee is cooperating with the investigation.

"The violence in this video is alarming and reprehensible," it said.

source

So they started beating him, he runs to the back, they start to follow, then tables turn and all of a sudden its " stop stop call the cops "

Edit - scratch that, he runs to the back because they jump the counter. And he only started hitting them again when they tried to get back up, sounds like a self defence thing... As he didnt get the " weapon " in the back till they started jumping the counter trying to beat him more, and he started hitting them after pause thinking they were going to start again

• Like 2

it is self defense however, there is a boundary to how far you should go. Wonder what the argument was about. being charged for extra ketchup?

The cashier won't get much. His attorney will most likely get the judge to agree with self-defense but say he went too far. I really don't feel bad for the two women. They somewhat deserved it but the cashier did go too far. The cashier should have stayed professional and should have called the cops after he was slapped. Lastly, I'm not sure how other McDonalds employees didn't stop it while it was happening. Every McDonalds I've ever been to, there's usually at least 5 or 6 employees including a manager in the kitchen. I'm not sure why one of them didn't stop the cashier when he started going overboard.

Although the cashier went a little too far, I don't think his behaviour was unexpected. He obviously felt threatened and when that happens, you either flee or fight. I imagine a lot of people would've done the same thing with adrenaline pumping through their system.

Why do they continuously use the word restaurant when the incident occurred in a McDonalds?

Any place that you can sit and eat is considered a restaurant, "fast food restaurant" means where you can do a take-out, drive thru and have seats where you can eat your double triple cheese burger with diet coke.

There's a difference between self defense and assaulting someone. After you've successfully defended yourself and they are in no condition to even remotely attack you, you've lost your argument.

Seems everyone got what they deserved in terms of criminal charges, however -- it's not like the women are getting off free.

All of this happened because the two woman (not high on the intelligence level) didn't like the idea that the man questioned whether a fifty dollar bill was real or counterfeit; HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Just wondering. :whistle:

I'm fully behind the guy for defending himself... but repeatedly using a metal rod?

I'm sorry, but he could have easily laid the first one out as she climbed onto the counter. Maybe if he'd had done that, people wouldn't have ended up with a fractured skull. The reporter claimed he may have a conviction for manslaughter, so I don't think he'll get off as lightly as some suggest.

As for the Father interviewed in the video? What an absolute chump. Why was your daughter trying to assault McDonald's staff? I really despise parents who've raised terrible human beings, then something like this happens and suddenly they're shocked, disgusted and it had nothing to do with their parenting skills...

Reminds me of some 16/17 year old boy in the UK who tried to climb over a fence to get into a nightclub... he impaled himself on the fence and died. His mother came out professing he was some sort of angel, and she could not believe that this happened and it should never have happened, someone is to blame, blah, blah, blah. Not once did she entertain the question "Why was my underage son climbing fences to get into nightclubs?"

That happened once at a club I used to work at. An 18 year old lady decided to climb over the fence to leave the smoking area... she slipped and ended up with one spike in her thigh, t'other in her arse cheek. Of course her parents were on the phone blasting the club for it's health and safety, but not once thinking their child may have been at fault...?

Sadly under my eyes the world is filling up with more and more selfish, immature and barbaric people with little or no morality.

I support that guy. Although he took it too far he did defend himself. This world is messed. The women got what they deserved.

In my opinion, its a disgrace, the situation was not handled how it should of been, yes it maybe self-defence, but the moment the women starting throwing abuse at the cashier that is when they should be asked to leave the building and/or police called.