What age are we an adult or a man or woman?

Well we are a legal adult at 18 years of age and if we are an adult that means we are either a man or a woman or perhaps a young man and a young woman. In fact nature says we are adults apon 100% completion of puberty when a child grows into an adult and for most males they complete puberty by 17 to 18 and for most females its 1 year sooner between 16 to 17. Apon 100% completion of puberty is when a teenager has physically become a full grown adult in height,weight,bodily frame including physical sexual maturity.

By 18 years of age or younger they have physically fully sexually matured into an adult including a fully grown adult body although the frontal lobe of an 18 year old adult's brain hasn't fully developed yet including a full length beard so at 18 they are not as mentally or physically mature as a 30 year old but does that make them still a child or a kid? The true answer to this would be no because they have completed puberty by 100% and the law achnowledges them as adults thus they cannot be a kid or a child any longer and are a young man or woman or a teenage adult. A 30 year old is simply an older adult compared to an 18 year old and an 18 year old is simply a younger adult compared to a 30 year old and not a kid. The same way that a 50 year old is an older adult compared to a 30 year old,.At 18 the law says they have the maturity level of a young adult that is mature enough to live on their own,get married,get a job and pay the bills. If they are mentally immature at 18, that simply makes them a mentally immature adult but not a kid because a kid means a child which they are no longer.

As fascinating as that all is, I'd put more importance on mental maturity than physical maturity when it comes to the ability to make rational and important decisions and that varies GREATLY on a person to person basis.

As fascinating as that all is, I'd put more importance on mental maturity than physical maturity when it comes to the ability to make rational and important decisions and that varies GREATLY on a person to person basis.

Well by 18 the law considers them to be an adult and an adult cannot be a child or a kid, an adult can only be a man or a woman, or better fiting a young man or young woman, or a fully grown young adult or a young grown up, theres no in betweens except for the ages of pubescent teenagers that haven't completed puberty such as 13 to 16 year olds, they are still in a stage of not completing puberty thus are not adults yet, but at 17 or 18 if puberty has been 100% completed scientifically they are teenage adults or teenage men and teenage women no matter how mentally immature they are.

If they are mentally immature at 18, or 22 or even at 25 that simply makes them mentally immature adults. Same concept appiles to a mentally challenged man of 25 who thinks and acts like a 10 year old child. Does that make him a child or a kid? No, that makes him a severely mentally immature adult or a mentally challenged adult.

That's a legal technicality and nothing more.

Law makers centuries ago(?) arrived at the age of precisely 18 years to be considered an adult because teenagers complete puberty at different rates, many at 16 most at 17 or 18 but does it make sense that at precisely 18 years we are an adult but 1 day or 1 second prior we are still a child as the law implies? Thats humanly impossible to become an adult in 1 day so in reality we were teenage adults before our 18th birthday for most and not precisely "as the clock ticks to every second" until it hits 18 years and not 1 second before. Although I and everyone else must respect laws in regards to the legal adult age being 18 years and not before but in reality this is not accurate.

i say you are not a adult till you have kids! when you have kids and start taking care of another life then i consider you a adult!

i say you are not a adult till you have kids! when you have kids and start taking care of another life then i consider you a adult!

what about the teenages that have kids - 16 & under?

Well, I wont say until you have kids, but I would definitely agree that when you care about a person or more from inside your heart and you know why you need them or they need you and care for them, then you are an adult, mentally of course, whatever your age says.

I don't plan on having kids, so I guess you will never consider me an adult? :rofl:

I do take care of my niece and nephew from time to time, so there is that.

Well, I wont say until you have kids, but I would definitely agree that when you care about a person or more from inside your heart and you know why you need them or they need you and care for them, then you are an adult, mentally of course, whatever your age says.

Your opinions are subjective (based on values, assumptions and beliefs) and I bet you will come up with several thousand answers to defend your subjective position and make another million assumptions to satisfy it in your mind.

That's how the stupid story books (like the Bible and Kuran and Torah and what the **** not) were written.

why this is true, this is not the normal.

Excuse denied.

I agree with the whole age thing to a point. While most teens are good at 18 physically, mentally they are not. I happened to be very wise beyond my years when I was 17 and was mature for my age mentally. Did that make me an adult? No. When I hit 18, I became an 'adult' so to speak, but not of legal age for alcohol.

I have a 17yr old daughter now (coming this Saturday), and while she is in my estimation fully grown. Although, tonight, I learned that my near 20 yr old Nephew grew a couple of inches this last summer. My daughter is wise as well among many things, but not all things. She is immature in some things and not all things though. There is a balance of maturity with her. She has a determination to move away to a different state when she turns 18 and will not listen to reason. Like her, I wanted to move to Los Angeles when I graduated high school. Never did as my plans changed.

I personally view full maturity when a person matures mentally to a more 'adult' state. As for adult, I do see 18 as a young man or woman, but full adult at age 21 when 100% of life's restricted items to adults become unrestricted. :)

i read some where that you don't become a full adult til the age of 26? it could be wrong though, but this was in 2009 when i read it lol

Your opinions are subjective (based on values, assumptions and beliefs) and I bet you will come up with several thousand answers to defend your subjective position and make another million assumptions to satisfy it in your mind.

That's how the stupid story books (like the Bible and Kuran and Torah and what the **** not) were written.

What the f**k has this anything to do with the Holy books?

i read some where that you don't become a full adult til the age of 26? it could be wrong though, but this was in 2009 when i read it lol

26 might be stretching it too far.

More like 21-22 to me or even 19-20 in some cases

Adult is generally the term used to describe a person who makes rational decisions whilst being mentally mature. When people say "age is just a number" I honestly believe that to be true. Why? I've met 35-40 year olds that have had the maturity of a 16 year old and similarly I've met 16 year olds with the maturity of a 35-40 year old. Being an age does not at all mean you're 'mature' - life experiences are usually the cause of maturity and those with little I find to be the immature ones. A case in question that springs to my mind is a guy I know who is extremely immature and he still relies a LOT on his mother - he's 36.

Adult is generally the term used to describe a person who makes rational decisions whilst being mentally mature. When people say "age is just a number" I honestly believe that to be true. Why? I've met 35-40 year olds that have had the maturity of a 16 year old and similarly I've met 16 year olds with the maturity of a 35-40 year old. Being an age does not at all mean you're 'mature' - life experiences are usually the cause of maturity and those with little I find to be the immature ones. A case in question that springs to my mind is a guy I know who is extremely immature and he still relies a LOT on his mother - he's 36.

(Y)

depends on culture, some cultures believe 13 is when you become an adult where others believe 16 and even again some at 18.

When are you an adult? When you can accept responsibility for your decisions and not blame someone else. Sadly, that's something that's lacking in many "adults" today.