What age are we an adult or a man or woman?

i read some where that you don't become a full adult til the age of 26? it could be wrong though, but this was in 2009 when i read it lol

People who believe that are just getting confused for not realising that a 26 year old is an older adult who has matured more than an 18 year old and an 18 year old is a younger adult that is less mature. Being an older adult doesn't mean that is when you are a fully grown adult,if this was the case then people would claim at 40 or 50 you're fully grown. It just means you're a more mature adult because in realty you are a fully grown young adult at 18.

i say you are not a adult till you have kids! when you have kids and start taking care of another life then i consider you a adult!

No this is not correct. Even a 12 year old girl can give birth but she would not be an adult who just had a baby, to say with accuracy, she would be a pubescent child or pubescvent girl who just gave birth. But I understand what you mean, if a 17 year old young adult gives birth she'll right away learn responsibilities of an adult to take care of the baby and become more mentally mature and responsible with experience.

I agree with the whole age thing to a point. While most teens are good at 18 physically, mentally they are not. I happened to be very wise beyond my years when I was 17 and was mature for my age mentally. Did that make me an adult? No. When I hit 18, I became an 'adult' so to speak, but not of legal age for alcohol.

I have a 17yr old daughter now (coming this Saturday), and while she is in my estimation fully grown. Although, tonight, I learned that my near 20 yr old Nephew grew a couple of inches this last summer. My daughter is wise as well among many things, but not all things. She is immature in some things and not all things though. There is a balance of maturity with her. She has a determination to move away to a different state when she turns 18 and will not listen to reason. Like her, I wanted to move to Los Angeles when I graduated high school. Never did as my plans changed.

I personally view full maturity when a person matures mentally to a more 'adult' state. As for adult, I do see 18 as a young man or woman, but full adult at age 21 when 100% of life's restricted items to adults become unrestricted. :)

21 or 25 is simply an older adult who have mentally matured more than an 18 year old young adult being less mature but at 18 they are mature enough to do most things of an adult but not all. I believe government should label 18 to 19 year olds as being teenage adults instead of just an adult due to their frontal lobe not being developed like older adults. I guess they do treat them like teenage adults since some of their legal rights are not as complete as 21 year olds and over. You did mention you see your 17 year old daughter as being fully grown. Females physically mature 1 year quicker than males so most females are in fact teenage women by 17 years of age due to complete physcial maturity. Ever see Miss America beauty pageant and how mature those 17 year olds look, they look like fully grown young women or to be more accurate they have become teenage women who are not as mentally mature as older women. In regards to 20 year olds still growing an extra inch taller, that can happen but its very rare. Most females completely stop growing in height by 16 or 17.

One problem with government in regards to age is they fail big time on accuracy when describing one's age. Like I said, 1 day before their 18th birthday they are still a child in the government's eyes and this is not accurate. Here is a more accurate description of a female's age-(pubescent meaning a child or teenage girl who hasn't completed puberty yet)-

4 to 9 year olds are children or girls.

10 to 12 year olds are pubescent children or pubescent girls.

13 to 16 year olds are pubescent teenage girls.

17 to 19 year old are teenage women.

why this is true, this is not the normal.

Yes, historical this was very much the norm. Women had children somewhere in-between being 14 and 18. Also, the eldest surviving male of the household was the man. Therefore if he was 12 at the time so be it. Typical by fourteen he was in the local militia. Therefore between the ages of 12 and 14 he would be considered a man.

At the moment, the age of maturity seems to be 21. There are a number of things you can not participate in until you reach this age. This, however, seems to fail when taking recent findings of brain maturity into consideration. From a perspective based more on science, I would place the age of maturity at about 25 for both men and women.

17 to 19 year old are teenage women.

What about outliers? I never ran into a girl who was taller then me until ironically enough, high school. I am a male and had my height at 14 at a little over six feet. I had my full build (muscle mass, elect. by 17 easily, probably sixteen really). There are a number of males that would probably qualify as outliers if you take a look at athletics. We were simply bigger, faster and more skilled than others our age. I had little trouble at sixteen holding my own against college age males in hockey and football. I dated a few girls that were a few years older then me. I took AP classes in high school, and had a number of credits toward college well before I even graduated.

The question, however, is does that in anyway "really" make me more mature than the other males (or for that matter, females) around me? I don't see it. I still had the same bad decisions. I was still impatient. All "kids" are reckless until their brain fully develops. To say that an 18 year old is on equal footing with that of a man/woman of 26 is to simply look past many other elements of maturity.

What about outliers? I never ran into a girl who was taller then me until ironically enough, high school. I am a male and had my height at 14 at a little over six feet. I had my full build (muscle mass, elect. by 17 easily, probably sixteen really). There are a number of males that would probably qualify as outliers if you take a look at athletics. We were simply bigger, faster and more skilled than others our age. I had little trouble at sixteen holding my own against college age males in hockey and football. I dated a few girls that were a few years older then me. I took AP classes in high school, and had a number of credits toward college well before I even graduated.

The question, however, is does that in anyway "really" make me more mature than the other males (or for that matter, females) around me? I don't see it. I still had the same bad decisions. I was still impatient. All "kids" are reckless until their brain fully develops. To say that an 18 year old is on equal footing with that of a man/woman of 26 is to simply look past many other elements of maturity.

I agree that 18 year olds or even 22 year olds may be very immature and there are no laws against it and its actually perfectly fine and yes 30 year olds are more mature but that cannot make 18 to 22 year olds kids no matter how mentally immature they are or mentally challenged because an adult cannot be a kid or a child. Scientifically the most accurate way to describe the age of an 18 year old would be a teenage adult whos not as mature as older adults but not a teenage child or kid, 13 year olds are still teenage kids.

What the f**k has this anything to do with the Holy books?

The bull **** generalizations you posted are as good as the bull **** from the Holy story books. Get it now? Ok.

Maybe you should state your assumptions before you post your conclusions. You just sound idiotic when you post idiotic conclusions. Walk us through your logic. Thank you! Come again!

As for my on topic response:

Legally 18

However I consider a person an adult when they have decided to take some responsibility for their actions, and decided to either start a family, or at least get a job and move out, be that at 18 or 68

It's general discussion, he can ask whatever he wants.

I know :p I just thought it was a little odd considering it was his first post on the forums

but anyway, yeah, age doesn't matter so much as each individual persons maturity

the law is basically just a general number to go off of for when people generally start to mature

As for my on topic response: Legally 18 However I consider a person an adult when they have decided to take some responsibility for their actions, and decided to either start a family, or at least get a job and move out, be that at 18 or 68

I know :p I just thought it was a little odd considering it was his first post on the forums

but anyway, yeah, age doesn't matter so much as each individual persons maturity

the law is basically just a general number to go off of for when people generally start to mature

But an 18 year old teenage adult who even has the maturity level of a 12 year old so to speak cannot be a child or a kid no matter how hard she or he tries or wants to be and this applies to all 18 year olds who may be immature since we are of the same species but only if they have achieved the 100% bodily physical growth of a man or woman as almost all do by 17 or 18. A teenage man or teenage woman cannot scientifically be a kid,its humanly impossible. Thats like trying to fit a block into a round hole, it cannot be done. They are simply immature adults or adults in the beginning stage.

Lets see I am 36 now and when I was 18 years younger my brother who is 18 years older than me had a theory, and I am a true believer in it still to this day.

At age 18 I shook my head and thought to myself, no. Now i have an 18 year old daughter and feel that he hit the nail on the head.

Almost everyone under the age of 25 is a complete idiot, child like, or both.