• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

'1,000th pickpocket' won't be prosecuted

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Steven P.    14,396
A pickpocket who was the 1,000th to be arrested by a special police team in Amsterdam will not be prosecuted because she was humiliated enough by the celebrating officers, the public prosecution department said on Wednesday.

The police fixed a sign saying '1000' to the back of the woman's coat, which was captured on video and broadcast by a local television station.

A spokesman for the city police force has described the action as 'extremely inappropriate'.

Source: Dutch News

Appropriate punishment?

ahhell    1,303

They should do that will of the ********. The public would know who these ###### are.

They need to bring back that good ol' stocks and provided free rotten fruits and vegetables.

stevember    138

Certainly mseems a little weird, it would be crazy to adopt that has any kind of normal punishment.

But they are best placed to know the girl involved and whether or not to punish the person any more.

Original Poster    324

this is against human rights (especially in this country) any form of forced public humiliation comes under the torture section of the human rights

Fred Derf    217

When the police screw up (like in this case) this results in a very difficult conviction. While I would never encourage a system that spared the 1000th criminal, I can understand the lack of charges coming as a direct result of the errors made by the police.

Hum    6,933

Should be in Milestones :laugh:

Geoffrey B.    1,415

so far as i am concerned i would take a sign on my back over a monetary fine any day.

Fred Derf    217

so far as i am concerned i would take a sign on my back over a monetary fine any day.

This person wasn't given the choice. Besides, we don't want to encourage the police to act as judge, jury and executioner. At the time of the arrest, the person was charged but not yet convicted in a court of law. There's that old pesky "innocent until proven guilty" thing that we seem to like in modern society.