Adium 1.5 RC 5

Beta 4 is out. Changes:

General

• Reduced application bundle size and memory overhead. (#15466)
  • Adium no longer erroneously reports it supports VV. (#15639)
  • Fixed a visual glitch in AB and status advanced prefs. (#15646)
  • Removed import from Fire. (#15366)
  • Increased robustness of message context display.

I updated to 1.5b5 today and since then the "appearance" dialog has been broken, it doesn't change the preview no matter what colour scheme or skin I choose, and randomly I can't select ANY of them like this:

Screen%20shot%202011-11-28%20at%2003.11.08.pngpost-105752-0-27632300-1322450194.png

Changes in beta 5:

General

• Fixed crash when loading Skype plugin. (#15590)
  • Disabled loading WebKit plugins when presenting Facebook authorization windows.
  • Fixed small leap when auto-scrolling resumes in About box.

cooky560: I can't replicate your issue with beta 5. The preview works fine.

It's really odd, and it seems to fix / break itself randomly. I've also noticed an occasional failing with receiving facebook messages to which the only answer is to restart the app

Changes in beta 6:

General

• Fixed automatic updating between betas failing with the error "Can't make a temporary directory for the update download". (#15666)
  • Correct strange behavior in the messages pref pane. (#15670)
  • Further fixes of message context display. (#15377)
  • Fixed a 2px alignment issue when a normal or borderless contact window is set to vertically resize automatically. (#15626)
  • Restored bouncy scroll behavior to normal window style contact list windows.
  • Fixed crash when sending certain group chat requests. (#15674)
  • Fixed emotes ('/me' messages) in IRC private chats. (#15589)
  • Fixed global application shortcut. (#12013)
  • Fixed some issues with AppleScript. (Peter Schmitt) (#15234)
  • Fixed incorrectly formatted output in the logviewer. (#15574)

• 2 weeks later...

Changes in beta 8:

General

• Make sure opening chatlog files does not show a warning in Finder about opening downloaded files. (#15573)
  • Refactoring of ESiTunesPlugin including:
    • Use same menu in menu bar, context menu and toolbar.
    • Fix bug when replacing tokens with empty strings.
    • Make tokens un-localizable.

[*]Fix a potential crash when opening the crash logger. (#15556)

[*]Fixed setting a global shortcut which used the letter "a" (yet again). (#12013)

Interface

• Disabled elastic scroll in the text input of the message view.
  • Disabled elastic scroll in Change User Picture Menu.

Libpurple

• Updated libpurple, with the following changes:
    • Fix double mail notifications on MSN. (#13920)
    • Make disconnecting due to flooding on IRC less likely to occur. (#11199)

Twitter

• For retweets, show the full original tweet instead of the truncated retweet. (#15226)

• Made non-localizable elements in ESStatusAdvancedPreferences localizable. (#15682)
  • Updated translations: Catalan (#14898), Czech (#15677), Danish (#15703), Dutch (#15697), Australian English (#15700), German (#15586), Portuguese (Portugal) (#15706), Swedish (#15605).

• 3 weeks later...

Changes in beta 9:

General

• Fixed the contact list not remembering its position on Lion. (#15341, #15480)
  • Fixed the message entry area being very large when Adium is first run.
  • Fixed display of Google+ users that don't reveal their email address.
  • Fixed some display issues with the user list when resizing a small chat window.(#15577)
  • Make some labels look enabled/disabled like their respective checkbokes. (#15133)
  • Updated Growl.framework to 1.3.1, fixing a potential crash. (#15728)
  • New Adiumy menu bar icon set (by Igor Kryzhanovskyi).

• Made additional strings localisable
  • Widenened "Advanced" preferences and "Get Info" windows to accomodate longer translations. (#15712)
  • Updated localisations: French (#15734), German (#15586, #15658), Portuguese (Portugal) (#15721), Swedish (#15726).

• 2 weeks later...

Changes in RC 1:

• Updated localisations: Catalan (#15770), Chinese (Traditional), Italian (#15758), Portuguese (Portugal) (#15721), Slovenian (#15772).
  • Fixed typos/misspellings in Russian localization. (#15769, #15571)

Transcript Viewer

• Fixed ghosting artifacts when scrolling transcript contents (while searching).
  • Fixed a potential crash when the log index failed to initialize while trying to delete a log.
  • Fixed a hang caused by two threads opening the same index simultaneously.

General

• Added Aqualicious Graphite, a new contact list theme to match Mac OS X's Graphite style.
  • Added the generic menu items to the group chat cog button for XMPP groupchats.
  • Fixed "Show Toolbar" showing as disabled and untranslated. (#15759)
  • Fixed ghosting artifacts in the "Get Info" window's "Events" tab. (#12237)
  • Fixed enable/disable "View Chat Transcripts" menu item, in group chats (user list) context menu.
  • Chats can no longer refuse to quit when they're still processing content.
  • Fixed AdiumAppleScriptRunner to enable building on Lion.
  • Switched some adiumx.com links to adium.im.
  • Fixed a bunch of non-integer view size values.

• 2 weeks later...

Changes in RC 2:

Localization

• Updated localizations: German (#15586, #15733), Greek, Swedish (#15786).
  • Fixed localization of a couple of emoticon names.

General

• Fixed hang which could occur when receiving a message and opening the Transcript Viewer at the same time.
  • Renamed "Current Track" status to "iTunes Status" (known as "iTunes" prior to 1.5).
  • Fixed numerous memory leaks.
  • Fixed numerous Clang Analyzer warnings.

Changes in RC 3:

General

• Fixed permission issues caused by previous release being built incorrectly.
  • Blacklisted the Skype plugin in 1.5, as it's known to be broken.
  • Restored LiveJournal connectivity by removing the hard-coded server name, they have an SRV record now.

• Updated localisations: Italian (#15810, #15808).

• 2 weeks later...

Changes in RC 4:

General

• Fixed the contact list appearing in a wrong position at startup on Mac OS X Lion (#15341, #15480).
  • Fixed message history only showing on 1st tab, on startup (#15377).
  • Fixed message view jumps to the bottom when Twitter Timeline updates (#15790).
  • Fixed the contact list shrinking when closing the search (#14433).

Localization

• Fixed the Ukrainian localization not being used on Mac OS X Lion (#15821).

• 3 weeks later...

Changes in RC 5:

General

• Can't change XMPP room settings for combo box settings (#15629).
  • Fixed deletion of a Gadu-Gadu contact from contact list not being persistent (#9126).
  • Fixed message view content not scrolled to bottom when opening and not scrolling when new content is added.

Localization

• Swedish (#15786).

Woohoo. On another note, I've been using Adium for years now ... does it seem like development has slowed, compared to what it used to be pumped out at?

Perhaps, but what more do you want them to add?

Perhaps, but what more do you want them to add?

Oh there are so many things that don?t work well or are not supported in Adium.

For instance : A lot of times, I won?t receive Facebook messages through Jabber. The smileys drop-down menu should be a grid instead, like they proposed a few years back. File transfers in MSN are DOA all the time. Custom smileys in MSN cannot be sent and when received, instead of working as it should, an error picture is shown.

Since the last 5 years that I am on the Mac platform, I cannot say Adium has evolved a lot. Problem is, there?s nothing better on the Mac, really. Messenger, Trillian, iChat, Messages, Skype, Adium, ? they all have major problems, either its user base is too small, or they don?t support basic features, or they don?t support our protocol. But I believe Adium is still the best, unfortunately.

PyX it's worth noting here that many of the features your on about also apply in third party Windows Clients for MSN.

Yahoo Messenger for MSN doesn't allow custom icons, nudges, video chat, or offline messaging, and file sending is at best guess work

Trillian doesn't allow custom icons or video chat at all, and file sending fails unless the other person is also using it.

Gaim has the same problems Yahoo Messenger has

I could go on. The reason for this is that the last public messenger api MS released was the one used in Windows Messenger 4.7 (the one that came with XP) meaning that today NONE of its features work apart from basic messaging.