How do you feel about people who arrive late?

The Late poll  

139 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about people who are late

• I don't hate late people, they arrive when they arrive
    • they annoy me
    • The annoy me ot the point of ****ing me off
  2. 2. When I say i'm going to be somewhere at a certain time...

• I'm always on time.
    • If i'm late, it's ok, they can wait.
    • I'm always on time but if i'm running late, i'll call them and let them know when I plan to arrive.
    • I'm always on time or early

I'm always slightly early or exactly on time. I can't stand being late, I get stressed out. I don't really mind when other people are late, I don't know how their lives are. Basically if they're late all the time I just factor it in to when I suspect they'll arrive. No big deal to me. Life is too short to worry about those types of things, I just do other things until they arrive, like be alone with my thoughts or chase birds.

• Like 2

Some people are not good with their timing..    which they think they could be there on time but their timing is wrong... such as "we'd be there in 15 mins" but they arrived in 15 mins after scheduled time.

Of course, traffic, accident, etc.. could cause you to be late ...  including the trains which I hate... I like under train bridge... instead of across the train tracks.

Depending on how long, I don't mind. If I'm going to be late, I usually text/call the person/people and expect others to do the same. I have one friend who is notorious for being late, but everyone else is pretty punctual. 

Impunctual people ###### me off. I always arrive on time and I always get stuff done quick and don't mess around. I'm often so quick I shock people. 

It annoys the crap out of me but cuz i'm also a patient person I'll create reasons for people to be late when they don't call. I'll think, oh maybe they missed the train or got stuck in traffic and forgot their cell phone or whatever. Put it this way, first time meeting my current GF she was 1hr 15mins late. First date - only 30mins late! I'm like ok, maybe getting better, nope - 2nd date was 1hr late. LOL To this day she's NEVER been on time for any meeting we've had (almost 5 yrs later). We've lost some friends because her constantly being late too, they are apparently the type of person that %ing HATE it! We were late like 30 mins to meet some friends at the club, not a dinner reservation or anything, just a normal club that's open till 5am or whatever. LOL That girl hasn't spoken to my gf since then, she'll say hi to me as she knows i hate being late too it's always my GF making me late no matter how hard I try. Sometimes i'll give her 1hr earlier time so we'll be "late" 50mins but still be 10 mins early, still doesn't work. :no:

Is she on time for work in the morning?

It's annoying, I can accept it when there's a good reason but otherwise it's annoying. I always make sure I'm on time, the only times I am ever late is in unforeseen circumstances like train delays

I admit I'm almost always late. I don't know why. It just happens >.<

I think it's due to the fact that I seem to think it takes 15-20 minutes to get anywhere, no matter where I am going or where I'm starting from or how I'm getting to the location. It's a problem.

It works out that a couple of my good friends are also like this, and even if I'm later than the time we planned, I'm still usually the first one there :laugh:

Is she on time for work in the morning?

She has no choice there so she's good with that. She's also gotten somewhat better now. :p She was ready the last few times we were supposed to go somewhere. I was out and called her told her to get ready and she was basically ready to go before I got home which is great. She maybe spent 5mins and did some touch up stuff or quick makeup then out the door. :)

I sounded all crabby earlier but in reality it doesn't bother me THAT much. If you gonna be late though at least let me know before hand so I don't go rushing to be on time then wait for you another 30mins!

She has no choice there so she's good with that.

Yep, same with my 2 late friends. Seeing how they can be on time for work, it means they don't give a **** about anyone else.

As to another reason why people are late  (I still don't think it's a good excuse) some people are retards when it comes to judging time

The new late female friend and her kids are currently staying with me. The kids have to be to school by 8:30 (when it starts). If they want to eat breakfast at school they have to be there at 8 - 8:10am

This morning I wake at 7:50 and don't hear people moving in the house. I wake up and everyone is still sleeping. I then wake everyone up and they lay in bed another 5 mins. By the time they leave the house it's 8:20. I ask how the kids are going to eat breakfast at school. She says they will stop and get a donuts which is completely out of the way and there is no way they will get to school on time.

Last week I took the kids to school Monday - Thursday. I woke up every day at 7:30 am, got the kids ready in 11 mins, in the car at 7:51 am and at school at 7:58 am! :)

Depends on whether the person is worth waiting for or not.

If I am late, which I feel is rare, I will always call beforehand if I expect to be or am running late.

Two things:

I'm of the opinion that cell phones have actually made things worse.  Seems to me that as long as they can let you know they're gonna be late, then some people think it absolves them from trying to be there on time.  I don't carry a cell phone (I don't own one), so I don't mind if they feel guilty when they can't let me know they're gonna be late.  I usually remind them that people still managed to meet before cells were invented.  People have poor time management skills these days.

Secondly, I know some people who are consistently late (one guy in particular), so I'll tell everyone for example to meet me at 9, whereas I'll tell that one person to be there at 8.  So far he hasn't noticed, as he still is never the first to arrive.

So this morning the girl who I have been talking about who is always late was just fired from her job of 4 years for being 2 minutes late. Apparently they only allow you to be late X number of times in a certain period.

If she wasn't late she would only allow her self about 1 min leeway BARELY being on time. Well today she caught an 8 minute train and the rest is history. Which is why it's a good idea to be early, give yourself some wiggle room.

^Or try to have a good job with flexible hours. I know it isn't always possible, but it can be something people who have problems with being on time look for in a job. I love my employer. I'm supposed to be here at 8am, I get here anytime between then and probably 8:20 and nobody cares. I stay later than the others and do after-hours work sometimes too, though, so I guess that's why it's acceptable. They're pretty good about letting people take care of errands and things during the day, too.

My condolences to that girl; hopefully she'll find something more relaxed soon.

My condolences to that girl; hopefully she'll find something more relaxed soon.

Relaxed? Why can't she just arrive on time like everyone else?

Relaxed? Why can't she just arrive on time like everyone else?

Of course she should strive to do so. Some people have a less-acute sense of time, though. I know for example, I have no ability to gauge how long I've been someplace, or how long ago something happened. Did I go to the bank yesterday, or last week? Have I been waiting for this server for 10 minutes, or 30? I guess my brain just doesn't work the same as some others. I can make adjustments and use clocks and timers and alarms to help me with this, but it's harder and doesn't come naturally.

Not every workplace is as anal about timeclocks and punctuality. The last job I had was American-based and very strict about it, but this one is UK-based and much more relaxed. My boss is cool--heck, he doesn't even wander in until after I do generally. He knows that all the work that needs to be done will get done, and deadlines that do exist will be met, so he doesn't care about things like that. It's nice having one less thing to stress over :) Especially since I'm very nocturnal and have a lot of trouble getting-going in the morning. I do the same amount (or more) work as my colleague who gets here an hour before I do, and I answer emails/calls in the evening sometimes whereas he does not. So it doesn't equal laziness as people often assume--it's just a personality/mind-wiring difference, I guess.