WMC fans: Windows Media Centre is back!

FaiKee

According to canouna, the latest build he has is 8141.0.winmain.111021

image_59.jpg

There are quite a number of changes, like Metro apps zooming, changeable metro background color, etc.

The good news for users who missed WMC, it is now available again, so it would most probably be in the beta.

image_63.jpg

image_64.jpg

alphaomegainfinity

It is great to see WMC back especially there were rumours of MSFT removing it from the next Windows version.

+InsaneNutter

I never thought it would be going, great to see it again though :)

• Like 1
trag3dy

Did I miss something? Isn't this in Windows 7? Or only select versions like it was in Vista?

Max Norris
Did I miss something? Isn't this in Windows 7? Or only select versions like it was in Vista?

It wasn't in the developer preview, so some people assumed that Microsoft was killing it off for whatever reason. (IE, people need to stop listening to rumors.)

remixedcat

so you have metro, desktop, and MCE??? isn't that overkill???? we need more interfaces...

Roger H.

Obviously wont be using them all at the sametime. People that real used WMC put it on a dedicated machine that looks like a dvd player in the living room. Sure it's on your normal laptop but does anyone actually use it then to play their music? I'd wish it could just be an app that I could run on X machine and connect that to the TV.

MS Bob 10

@remixedcat, Media Center is not just another interface. It is an app primarily for watching and recording TV on your PC and other multimedia tasks. And it has a full screen interface to do that.

remixedcat

I knew that but it's still different. and I never cared for it even on my HTPC downstairs... I just use the regular interface...

MS Bob 10

It doesn't have to be run full-screen. You can also run it as a resizable windowed app, something which Microsoft should allow also for the Metro style Start Screen.

c3ntury

It doesn't have to be run full-screen. You can also run it as a resizable windowed app, something which Microsoft should allow also for the Metro style Start Screen.

Now that's a brilliant idea!

Roger H.

I knew that but it's still different. and I never cared for it even on my HTPC downstairs... I just use the regular interface...

Wait, :o You are using mouse and keyboard from 10ft away pointing and clicking? :blink:

• Like 1
lunamonkey

Wait, :o You are using mouse and keyboard from 10ft away pointing and clicking? :blink:

That's how I use my HTPC. Even my girlfriend uses the keyboard to watch.... Grey's and Glee on MPC-HC.

I might give WMC a try now you've reminded me of it. I've just always been an "explorer".

rfirth

Yeah... that doesn't make any sense. Windows Media Center is great for watching TV. Besides, there is no other interface for viewing the tv guide and scheduling recordings.

neufuse

MCE was one of the precursors to metro, so to say its a differnet UI is kinda eh... they will tweak it to match exactly

Ramcee

OEHJEAHHH !! WMC !!

I hope with metro style!

remixedcat

wireless mouse+KB.... eeyup.

• Like 1
remixedcat

god that pic made my loose my appetite... with all the money he has he can make himself at least look decent. LMAO.

FaiKee

god that pic made my loose my appetite... with all the money he has he can make himself at least look decent. LMAO.

LOL he sure looked better when ducking egg treatments.

screen480.jpg

Darrian

Why not? I do. It helps to have a 47" 1080p "monitor."
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Windows Holographic version 21H1 rolls out with a bunch of new features
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft today announced the availability of the next major version of Windows Holographic for HoloLens 2 devices. Version 21H1 is beginning to roll out with a bunch of new features. Interestingly, while 21H1 for desktop is going to be just an enablement package that will light up minor new features for the OS, the version seems to be a major one, bringing features such as the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, Settings app improvements, a revamped Power menu, and much more.

First up is the addition of the new Microsoft Edge browser based on Chromium, which will be the default offering for HoloLens users. However, the company says that Legacy Edge will continue to exist in the OS. Users will also be able to sync history and favorites as it is based on a shared codebase. It also supports WebXR and the 360 Viewer extension for immersive web experiences, the firm says.

Next up is the new Settings app that contains granular controls and is tailored for the HoloLens 2. It includes updated settings for Sound, Power & sleep, Network & Internet, Apps, Accounts, Ease of Access, and more. The firm adds that since the new Settings app is “distinct from the legacy Settings app”, it will remove any previously placed windows in the environment. A few examples of the improved settings experience include the ability to set or reset default apps, adjusting independent app volumes, account management, and various improvements to audio preferences.

There is also a new Display color calibration tool in Settings to let users choose alternate color profiles to adapt to various display brightness and ambient light settings. There are six pre-set color profiles to choose from.

Another nifty feature is a new Swipe to type feature that mimics the experience found on mobile devices. Users can pass the tip of their fingers through the letters and can continue typing just like on mobile and the system automatically inserts spaces after each word. However, the company calls the feature “tricky” as the holographic keyboard does not offer any haptic feedback or resistance to users’ fingers, unlike on mobile devices.

Rounding off the major changes is a new Power menu that can be accessed from the ellipsis icon next to the users’ profile picture. It offers users options for signing out, shutting down, or restarting the device, and displays a yellow indication icon when updates are available, similar to the Windows 10 power menu. The sign-in screen is also adding support for displaying multiple user accounts, making it easy to switch between accounts.

There also are updates aimed at IT admins such as the auto-enabled Visitor Auto-logon for Kiosk mode feature, improved error handling, and more. You can head to the release notes page here for complete documentation on everything that is new, along with useful links. The Redmond firm also notes that it will no longer serve updates for version 1903, with the only supported version now being 2004, 20H2, and 21H1.

Windows Holographic version 21H1 is heading out to HoloLens 2 users starting today bringing build 20346.1002. Users can head to the Settings app and check for updates from the Windows Udpate section under Update & Security. The company has also made available manual update packages for IT admins.

• By Abhay V
      Windows 7 and 8.1 Patch Tuesday updates are out, here's what's new
      by Abhay Venkatesh

As is the case every second Tuesday of the month, Microsoft is releasing cumulative updates for all supported Windows versions. That includes all supported Windows 10 versions, along with Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 customers that have opted to receive extended security updates. As for Windows 10 users, it must be noted that versions 1909, 1809, and 1803 will be reaching the end of support, with 1803 being completely unsupported – including for enterprises – starting today.

As for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (and the corresponding Windows Server versions), there are two kinds of updates. The monthly rollup packages are downloaded automatically from the Windows Update, while security-only packages are made available for manual download.

Starting with Windows 8.1, the monthly rollup for this month is KB5003209 and can be manually downloaded from the Update Catalog here. The changelog for the patch is as follows:

As for known issues, there is just one known issue that is being tracked for a while, and it still seems to not have been addressed:

Symptom

Workaround

Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.

Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege. Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Heading to the security-only update, it is listed in the knowledge base article KB5003220 and is available for manual download from here. It includes the following fixes and comes with the same known issue as that of the monthly rollup:

Moving on to Windows 7, the monthly rollup is KB5003233 and can be downloaded from the link here. The list of fixes being made to users of the OS with this month’s update includes the following:

And here are the known issues that users should be aware of:

Symptom

Workaround

After installing this update and restarting your device, you might receive the error, “Failure to configure Windows updates. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer,” and the update might show as Failed in Update History.

This is expected in the following circumstances:

If you are installing this update on a device that is running an edition that is not supported for ESU. For a complete list of which editions are supported, see KB4497181. If you do not have an ESU MAK add-on key installed and activated. If you have purchased an ESU key and have encountered this issue, please verify you have applied all prerequisites and that your key is activated. For information on activation, please see this blog post. For information on the prerequisites, see the "How to get this update" section of this article.

Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.

Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege. Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

For those looking for the security-only update, it is KB5003228 for this month and can be manually pulled from the Update Catalog here. The list of changes and fixes are as follows:

The known issues for this update are shared with the monthly rollup, which means that the rename operation problem – which has been around for a while now, is still not fixed.

As usual, you can head to Windows Update and check for updates to pull the monthly rollup patches. You can also head to the individual download links for the security-only updates which can only be manually installed.

• By Copernic
      Kodi 19.1
      by Razvan Serea

Kodi (formerly known as XBMC), is an award-winning free and open source cross-platform software media player and entertainment hub for digital media for HTPCs (Home theater PCs). Its graphical user interface (GUI) allows the user to easily browse and view videos, photos, podcasts, and music from a hard-drive, optical disc, local network, and the internet using only a few buttons.

Kodi can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats around. It was designed for network playback, so you can stream your multimedia from anywhere in the house or directly from the internet using practically any protocol available. Use your media as-is: Kodi can play CDs and DVDs directly from the disk or image file, almost all popular archive formats from your hard drive. Kodi will scan all of your media and create a personalized library complete with boxcovers, descriptions, and fanart. There are playlist and slideshow functions, a weather forecast feature and many audio visualizations. Once installed, your computer will become a fully functional multimedia jukebox.

Kodi 19.1 changelog:

Video

Fixed: HDR metadata is now detected in VP9 profile 2 streams and can be used on platforms that support HDR passthrough or tone mapped when playing this kind of videos. Discs

Fixed: playback of optical DVDs in Linux Fixed: BD-J Blu-ray chapter skipping via remotes/keyboard PVR

Fixed: context menu not accessible in PVR Guide window when using very basic remote to control Kodi Fixed: client channel name and number not persisted when changed Fixed: play count and resume position of recordings lost after Kodi restart Fixed: crash while browsing the EPG when MySQL is used as EPG database Fixed: next recording on ... label time is not localized in Estuary Timer/Timer rules window Fixed: channel manager does not rename backend channel Fixed: playing archived programme not selected when opening the Guide window Fixed: GUI not updated on removal/insert/hide/unhide of channel groups Updated: improved look of PVR windows in Estuary Music Library

Fixed: issue with music from cuesheets where only the first track was being added to the library on rescanning, with the rest being deleted JSON-RPC

Fixed: PVR - Reintroduced broadcast properties 'hastimer', 'hastimerrule', 'hasrecording', 'recording' Fixed: PVR - Reintroduced channel property 'isrecording' Subtitles

Fixed: detection of system fonts (directwrite) on windows for ASS subtitles Fixed: detection of user fonts (in userdata/fonts) for ASS subtitles Fixed: rendering of semi-transparent ASS subtitles on Wayland GUI/Interface

Fixed: media flagging for DVD/BluRay Web Interface

Updated: Chorus2 based on community contributions Filesystem

Updated: enable filecaching by default for network filesystems Updated: improve filecache error handling Network

Updated: improved reliability for HTTP and NFS network filesystems Windows specifics

Added: support for WS-Discovery protocol that enables locating SMB servers and browsing shared folders using SMBv3. Added: debug Info OSD Video. Extends current Debug Info Player (Ctrl+Shift+O) with new video-only info (Alt+O) Fixed: with some unusual streams, incorrect HDR metadata could be passed (HDR10 passthrough). Fixed: green screen on systems with old HW (DX feature level 9.1) playing 10-bit videos. Fixed: black screen with Software render method and with DXVA2 hardware acceleration disabled. Fixed: green screen when playing the menu of some DVDs (MPEG2 SD only). Fixed: credentials being requested for anonymous SMB shares Updated: VC runtimes included in the installer to add compatibility with VS2019 and VS2017 at the same time. Android specifics

Fixed: SMB shares mounted on system level not visible in Kodi Fixed: SMB shares labelled with cryptic numbers (UUID) instead of actual disk name Xbox specifics

This version also brings 19.1 to the Xbox - while 19.0 has been in the Microsoft Store since launch, this was Windows-only while we found a way to adequately test the new release on Xbox. We've fixed that now, so Xbox users will automatically upgrade from 18.9 to 19.1 if you've got auto-update enabled. It's worth mentioning that there's a known memory limitation - present in 18.x as well - that causes Xbox application crashes with 4k content, so please be aware. Download: Kodi 19.1 (32-bit) | 62.1 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Kodi 19.1 (64-bit) | 65.9 MB
      Download: Windows Store
      Links: Kodi Home Page | Kodi for Android

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Abhay V
      Windows 10X reportedly delayed indefinitely, focus to shift to Windows 10
      by Abhay Venkatesh

In what may be disappointing news for Windows fans, Microsoft is reportedly delaying the release of Windows 10X – its next-generation operating system – indefinitely. The report comes from Petri, citing information from those in the know of the matter.

Microsoft originally showed off Windows 10X in 2019 alongside the Surface Neo and Surface Duo. While the Surface Duo that was powered by Android made it to the market, the Neo was delayed and Windows 10X was repurposed for single-screened devices. A supposed near-final build of the modern OS even leaked and Microsoft was said to be readying the platform for release sometime this spring. That timeline moved once again to later in the fall this year, according to reports.

However, Petri reports that those plans have now changed, with Windows 10X now on the backburner. The company is reportedly moving resources back to Windows 10, which is expected to receive a major update codenamed Sun Valley later this year. As for 10X, there is no concrete information on if and when the OS will see the light of the day, and it is possible that the offering as we know it will never make it to users.

A few reasons for the decision, according to insiders, include the fact that the OS just was not ready. The firm reportedly believes that the “timing and market conditions” are not right and that the feedback from users, too, has not been as positive as it may have hoped to. While enthusiasts hoped to see 10X make it to new devices, marketing a brand-new OS on new devices, especially during the times of the pandemic that has seen the adoption of traditional Windows 10 PCs increase, might have been difficult. Add to the fact that at launch, the OS was said to lack support for traditional Win32 apps, which again might have worked against the offering.

Additionally, the report states that the company execs feel that Windows 10X doesn’t offer solutions that its customers want. Therefore, it makes sense for the Redmond giant to introduce certain features such as seamless updates and app containers to Windows 10 while working on a possible lightweight platform for release.

As it stands now, it is safe to assume that Windows 10X as we know it is dead and so are plans to introduce a lightweight Chromebook competitor OS. It is not clear if the company will publicly announce the plans that it has for Windows 10, including the visual overhaul and new Microsoft Store policies at its Build conference later this month. The report from Petri does state that the company will make “formal announcements” about the fate of the OS, so it will be interesting to see what those are.

• By Laurentiu A.
      Hello Neowinians.

I have one question for all of you...

What is this ugly, beta, squared, badly pixelated THING on my taskbar?
      It says News and interests and yes, I know its a new feature from Microsoft.

But..

How can a billion dollar company, with thousands of employees and rich history in software, design this?
      The sun icon looks very bad, the text that displays the weather is blurry and the app itself is sluggish. 
      How can they release something like this worldwide, without shame?

I am serious...