WMC fans: Windows Media Centre is back!

FaiKee

According to canouna, the latest build he has is 8141.0.winmain.111021

image_59.jpg

There are quite a number of changes, like Metro apps zooming, changeable metro background color, etc.

The good news for users who missed WMC, it is now available again, so it would most probably be in the beta.

image_63.jpg

image_64.jpg

alphaomegainfinity

It is great to see WMC back especially there were rumours of MSFT removing it from the next Windows version.

+InsaneNutter

I never thought it would be going, great to see it again though :)

• Like 1
trag3dy

Did I miss something? Isn't this in Windows 7? Or only select versions like it was in Vista?

Max Norris
Did I miss something? Isn't this in Windows 7? Or only select versions like it was in Vista?

It wasn't in the developer preview, so some people assumed that Microsoft was killing it off for whatever reason. (IE, people need to stop listening to rumors.)

remixedcat

so you have metro, desktop, and MCE??? isn't that overkill???? we need more interfaces...

Roger H.

Obviously wont be using them all at the sametime. People that real used WMC put it on a dedicated machine that looks like a dvd player in the living room. Sure it's on your normal laptop but does anyone actually use it then to play their music? I'd wish it could just be an app that I could run on X machine and connect that to the TV.

MS Bob 10

@remixedcat, Media Center is not just another interface. It is an app primarily for watching and recording TV on your PC and other multimedia tasks. And it has a full screen interface to do that.

remixedcat

I knew that but it's still different. and I never cared for it even on my HTPC downstairs... I just use the regular interface...

MS Bob 10

It doesn't have to be run full-screen. You can also run it as a resizable windowed app, something which Microsoft should allow also for the Metro style Start Screen.

c3ntury

It doesn't have to be run full-screen. You can also run it as a resizable windowed app, something which Microsoft should allow also for the Metro style Start Screen.

Now that's a brilliant idea!

Roger H.

I knew that but it's still different. and I never cared for it even on my HTPC downstairs... I just use the regular interface...

Wait, :o You are using mouse and keyboard from 10ft away pointing and clicking? :blink:

• Like 1
lunamonkey

Wait, :o You are using mouse and keyboard from 10ft away pointing and clicking? :blink:

That's how I use my HTPC. Even my girlfriend uses the keyboard to watch.... Grey's and Glee on MPC-HC.

I might give WMC a try now you've reminded me of it. I've just always been an "explorer".

rfirth

Yeah... that doesn't make any sense. Windows Media Center is great for watching TV. Besides, there is no other interface for viewing the tv guide and scheduling recordings.

neufuse

MCE was one of the precursors to metro, so to say its a differnet UI is kinda eh... they will tweak it to match exactly

Ramcee

OEHJEAHHH !! WMC !!

I hope with metro style!

remixedcat

wireless mouse+KB.... eeyup.

• Like 1
remixedcat

god that pic made my loose my appetite... with all the money he has he can make himself at least look decent. LMAO.

FaiKee

god that pic made my loose my appetite... with all the money he has he can make himself at least look decent. LMAO.

LOL he sure looked better when ducking egg treatments.

screen480.jpg

Darrian

Why not? I do. It helps to have a 47" 1080p "monitor."
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      OneDrive sync client gets 64-bit support on Windows
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft has released a new public preview of the OneDrive sync client for Windows, making it available in a 64-bit variant. The 64-bit client is recommended for users who deal with large files or a high number of files on OneDrive, since 64-bit apps can use more of the system's memory.

For those unaware, the OneDrive sync client is included with Windows 10 and can be installed on older versions as well, and it lets you sync files from OneDrive down to your local machine easily. It integrates with File Explorer on Windows, so managing OneDrive files and folders should feel the same as using a local folder.

To use the 64-bit variant of OneDrive, you'll need a PC with an x64 (technically, AMD64) processor that's running a 64-bit variant of Windows. It's worth noting that Windows on ARM devices - while they use a 64-bit architecture - don't yet support apps designed for x64 processors, so you'll need to keep using the 32-bit client. Microsoft has been working on x64 emulation for ARM64 devices, and that's currently being tested with Insiders in the Dev channel.

You can download the 64-bit version of the OneDrive sync client here, and it will install over your current version if you already have it installed. You'll need to be running a version that's older than the one you're installing, though.

• By News Staff
      Get a DearMob iPhone Manager license (worth $65.95) for free
      by Steven Parker

Claim your free copy (worth $65.95) before the offer expires next week!

DearMob iPhone Manager is designed for every iPhone/iPad user to offer flexible, open and direct content management services. It efficiently frees your every single iPhone/iPad/iPod file for sharing, selective syncing, and backup with encryption.

With DearMob iPhone Manager, you can:

Two-way transfer between iPhone/iPad/iPod and computer: videos, music, photos, contacts, messages, apps and apps data, ebooks, etc. Manage files without restrictions of iTunes, Apple ID and DRM Selectively or fully backup iPhone; restore from old backups. Convert iOS unsupported format, like MKV to MP4, WMV to MP3/AAC Handy toolkit: make iPhone ringtone; use iPhone as a free USB; protect your iOS data with encryption GPU accelerated: transfer 100 4K photos in about 8 seconds, 100 songs in about 35 seconds, 1GB movie in about 50 seconds. Operating Systems: Windows 10/8.1/8/7 and Mac OS X 10.9 or later Get your free copy today! Offer expires Friday, April 9, 2021.

How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to download this free license. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

DearMob iPhone Manager (worth $65.95) FREE
      Offered by DearMob, view their other free resources. This offer expires on April 9, 2021

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here.

Giveaways: Home Arcade Polycade | Complete Home Gym | $10K in Crypto currency Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Windows Community Toolkit 7.0 is now live with a new MVVM library
      by Usama Jawad

Back in 2016, Microsoft announced UWP Community Toolkit, a project that enables developers to collaborate and contribute new capabilities on top of the Windows 10 SDK. It simplifies some tasks that developers have to perform when building UWP and .NET apps. Microsoft rebranded it to Windows Community Toolkit in 2018 and has been rigorously updating it with new features in every release.

Now, the company has announced version 7.0 of the utility, which contains a whole bunch of new features and enhancements.

Microsoft has refactored numerous packages in order to decouple dependencies when only a small number of components are being utilized in the app. In most scenarios, this has resulted in an 80-90% decrease in footprint size of the application. Most of these changes affect the Animations and Controls packages, so it is advisable that developers refer to Microsoft's documentation here in order to identify any breaking changes to their apps.

Windows Community Toolkit v7.0 also comes with a new MVVM library built on the foundations of platform-agnosticism, modularity, flexibility, and performance. The Microsoft.Toolkit.Mvvm package contains this library and since it targets .NET Standard, this means that it can be utilized on any platform that supports it, including UWP, WPF, Xamarin, and more. You can find out more about the new MVVM library here.

Other notable changes include improved notification support for Win32 and .NET 5 apps, an improved ColorPicker, a TabbedCommandBar navigation interface, a new AnimationBuilder class, and SwitchPresenter to better organize your XAML.

In terms of what's coming next, Microsoft says that it is releasing previews of the Toolkit which work with version 0.5 of Project Reunion Preview. Over the coming weeks, the company will also be releasing an updated version of WinUI 3 controls to NuGet for Project Reunion 0.5. These will be packaged in the "WinUI" root rather than "UWP", with the latter's packages being deprecated eventually. You can find out more about how to get started with Windows Community Toolkit here.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Google starts enforcing offline experiences for installable PWAs in Chrome 89
      by Usama Jawad

Google continually updates its Chrome browser to offer new features and enhancements to users. For example, a major change in Chrome 88 was that it featured better password protection. Apart from making customer-facing changes, the company also updates its software to make it easier for developers to offer new capabilities in the browser.

Now, Google has rolled out Chrome 89 in the stable channel. It contains multiple enhancements to the developer and, subsequently, user experience.

A major change in Chrome 89 is that Google has started warning developers to offer offline experiences with their installable Progress Web Apps (PWAs). Previously, developers were able to skirt this condition in some cases but now Google will be cautioning developers in DevTools in the Issues tab, and will begin enforcing it as a mandatory requirement of the PWA installability criteria from Chrome 93 later this year. This change does not affect developers who already offer offline experiences for their installable PWAs.

WebHID, WebNFC, and Web Serial have hit the stable channel on Chrome as well. These APIs allow website developers and hardware manufacturers to create engaging experiences between the two platforms with minimal lines of code. This also removes certain dependencies on driver updates and software installation when you get a new piece of hardware you'd like to link to a webpage on Chrome.

Another significant addition to Chrome 89 is the availability of Web Share and Web Share Target APIs for desktop. These enable users to share their content to other apps on the device. For example, a user will be able to share photos from Google Photos to Twitter. This capability was already available on mobile, but has now made its way to Chrome OS and Windows as well.

Other minor changes include enhancements to JavaScript modules, and updating the omnibox icon for installable PWAs. If Google Chrome on your device has not updated to version 89 already, you can head over to the dedicated page here to find out how to manually trigger the update.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft quietly fixes weird Windows 10 drive corruption bug, but only in Insider build
      by Usama Jawad

Last month, it was revealed that Windows 10 contains a weird bug in which the OS throws an error message that the drive is corrupted and that you should reboot the system, when a certain location is accessed via the Command Prompt or a browser. While Microsoft appears to have quietly fixed the issue in the latest Insider Preview build 21322, it still appears to be present in other versions of Windows 10.

Bleeping Computer reports that when you run the change directory "cd" command on the Command Prompt with a specific location, Windows warns that "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable", recommending that you reboot the machine with chkdsk to fix the drive. This happens even when users with low privileges access the NTFS volume. Microsoft had previously stated that the corruption message is inaccurate and the drive isn't actually corrupted, but another report from OSR claims that in its testing, one instance of Windows 10 failed to reboot even after repeated chkdsk.

Microsoft has fixed the issue in its latest Windows 10 Insider Preview build 21322 pushed out a few days ago, and it does not allow users to access the problematic location as can be seen below:

Naturally, we tested accessing the location on our virtual machines powered by other, older versions of Windows too. On Windows Vista, the location in question is not accessible either:

However, when we tried to access the location via Command Prompt on an old machine with Windows 10 Pro version 1803 - which is an older version of the operating system that is no longer supported. True to reports, there is an error message that the "file or directory is corrupted and unreadable", and the system recommends that you close all apps, restart the PC, and repair drive errors to fix the issue:

In our case, Windows 10 fortunately did manage to reboot with chkdsk and did not get stuck in a loop. We expect other versions of Windows 10 prior to Insider build 21322 to behave in the same way, barring any serious anomalies:

It's a six-year-old PC! It is important to note that other vendors and companies are trying to block access to the problematic location from their end. Mozilla Firefox 85.0.1 has a check which disables access to locations with the ":$" symbol, while OSR has released an unofficial patch which disallows access to the path. That said, it is rather strange that Microsoft is not pushing out a hotfix for older versions of Windows 10. We have seen similar issues with other operating systems such as iOS in the past, and while they may not be dangerous in most cases, it is always worth fixing these issues to prevent viral pranks that can be a nuisance for PC owners who are not tech-savvy.