What best codec pack?

Please do not discuss codec packages that contain commercial codecs. Only those that contain freely distributable components are allowed on Neowin.

What's pirated/commercial codec about ... that package that we can't seem to mention, even though it's 100% legit now? It appears to contain nothing but open-source or freeware codecs, since they dropped including DivX and the Sonic codecs.

I'd like to know exactly why I should be avoiding this package, as I actually prefer to have my systems be 100% legit.

isn't FFDShow still a good codec?

no hard feeling cooky but this is what all codec pack use for video playback and some audio or i expect the majority of the codec packs do

so of course FFDShow is still a good program due to video and audio formats it supports though i grab svn if you want the latest bug fixes and such

the only format i seen another program get used for is mp4 which is where hail media splitter comes in i seen some people rather use those 2 programs to play nearly everything through windows media player rather then go the vlc route

i also seem players allow you to use ffdshow rather then there internal codecs

What's pirated/commercial codec about ... that package that we can't seem to mention, even though it's 100% legit now? It appears to contain nothing but open-source or freeware codecs, since they dropped including DivX and the Sonic codecs.

I'd like to know exactly why I should be avoiding this package, as I actually prefer to have my systems be 100% legit.

It contains copyrighted Apple and RealMedia codecs. The basic one does not, but since there's no way of mentioning it without steering people to the other versions it's not allowed here.

I use Win7Codecs by shark. They work for me. I have heard good things about CCCP though. I also use GOM player which does direct you to a codec like posted by jingarelho, it never has done that for me so Sharks must be working.

that dummy shark feller adds junk to his installs so i wouldn't touch anything he makes though before he was cool.Anyway either VLC or CCCP should be more than enough.

It contains copyrighted Apple and RealMedia codecs. The basic one does not, but since there's no way of mentioning it without steering people to the other versions it's not allowed here.

Not for a long time now. They removed QT A and RP A in all versions (basic, lite etc.) ages ago.

Source: http://www.codecguid..._comparison.htm

I personally don't see a problem in using it. I used to just deselect QT and RM while installing.

lol codecs

You're right... mind reading files is where it's at! (Y)

Glassed Silver:mac

My codec packs of choice:

On Mac: Perian - no questions asked. (+Flip4Mac, not really a codec pack though, it's standalone)

On Win: CCCP - that pack is full of win and has all you need 99% of the time.

Glassed Silver:mac

Yeah, this. VLC is horribly coded and super buggy lol. Lots of better alternatives

Just curious, mind elaborating what bugs you are experiencing? I have used VLC for a long time and haven't experienced any bugs during playback.

I'm pretty sure they removed all Apple and Real codecs from their installers a while back. Doesn't look like they have any mention of them on their site anymore. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see anything regarding both of them on the site.

CCCP and most other codec packs all use the same base codecs and filters to get the job done, The difference is how they configure those codecs. CCCP is optimised for viewing anime subs in mkv's. Other packs try to be all in one solution for everything and probably focused on using wmp as the primary player. But all of them can be tweaked so it doesn't matter.

What's best to know is what exactly these packs contain and why are they installed. I'll go over the basic ones.

1. FFDSHOW - Video and Audio directshow decoder based off libav/ffmpeg. Decodes a ton of stuff and has nice post processing features. This is the bread and butter decoder for most codec packs. From what I read on doom9 forums development on it has halted/slowed and updates mostly has been on libavcodec library revisions.

2. Media Player Classic Home Cinema AKA mpc-hc - simple player with nice codec/filter/renderer management. The built-in codecs does mostly the same as ffdshow but a little outdated. Standalone it can play those 3gp files you have.

3. Haali Media Splitter - mainly used for splitting mkv containers. It's the only one that supports ordered chapters that a lot of anime uses.

4. Lav Filters - Like FFDSHOW, it uses libav/ffmpeg to decode stuff but can also demux all sorts of formats like mkv, avi, mp4, ogg, flv etc. It's currently being actively developed. I would use this over ffdshow and haali to be my primary decoder but I would still need to use ffdshow anyway because it lacks some post processing stuff that I use like audio channel mixer.

5. DirectVobSub(vsfilter) - subtitle filter to display subtitles duh. Not really needed if using mpc-hc because it has it built-in.

Other stuff codec packs might include are standalone decoders/filters for specific codecs like madflac for flac, AC3filter for ac3/dts and audio processing(ffdshow does all this already), standalone gabest filters if you wanted to use them for wmp or other players instead of mpc-hc. All of these are unnecessary imo.

The 5 things I pointed out above are whats included in CCCP and it plays just about everything. So I guess it makes it the best codec pack? Who knows. All other codec packs seem to have the same stuff but with more extra stuff that are optional.

Now also there's VLC that can play anything but I recommend only using it as backup since it has terrible video quality and subtitle rendering but none of these are probably a great concern to you. You can just use the portable version then its easy to keep around without mucking around with installs and registry.

So what do I think you should use? Probably CCCP or VLC. Heck, maybe mpc-hc standalone... its a single executable that can play what you want. Lav Filters if you wanted to use WMP as your player. I guess it's up to you to find out whats best. But at least now you have a little more information on what those evil codec packs install.

VLC is garbage. It's great to have installed because it Will play just about everything, but it doesn't do a good job for anything. It's the best player of last resort.

MPC-HC ( http://xvidvideo.ru ) is all you really need, but should you come across a codec that it doesn't cover internally, then you can always install individual codecs, as needed.

CCCP is ok, but not really needed, as MPC-HC will play just about everything it will, without codecs.. and the missing stuff you're likely to never see anyway.

Codec packs in general are bad. They install a lot of **** into your system that just isn't needed, and can at times break stuff.

VLC is garbage. It's great to have installed because it Will play just about everything, but it doesn't do a good job for anything. It's the best player of last resort.

MPC-HC ( http://xvidvideo.ru ) is all you really need, but should you come across a codec that it doesn't cover internally, then you can always install individual codecs, as needed.

CCCP is ok, but not really needed, as MPC-HC will play just about everything it will, without codecs.. and the missing stuff you're likely to never see anyway.

Codec packs in general are bad. They install a lot of **** into your system that just isn't needed, and can at times break stuff.

Klite codec pack used to break stuff, i dunno if it still does.

Even Win7Codecs and the like can have unintended results.. Like the way they show thumbnails, sometimes it works, sometimes explorer spends a few hrs, most of your RAM, and a bunch of CPU trying to make it, because the file has weird settings that don't play nice..

It's best to avoid them if you can. You don't need codecs for a hundred formats, when in reality you are gonna use 5 or so..

I thought I posted yesterday I use Media Player Classic. Plays most video formats and has neat features like increase by step and so on and it's free. It's also a small program.

You guys say that codec packs "break stuff". What exactly do you mean by this? I personally have been using the "banned from mentioning" pack for years without any issues whatsoever!