• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

10 Things Windows Phone 8 needs!

+Chsoriano    130

It's a bit like your legs, you could get around with one but two are always better :) In all seriousness you may not need a dual core now but what about 12 months from now when COD is released for WP or GTA5 or anything else.

Lol... it's nothing like your legs! Of course you would rather be born with 2 legs instead of 1! We aren't born into a pair of "upgradeable" or "replaceable" legs (pauses to imagine "upgradeable" legs).

The fact of the matter is, the OS, nor the applications intended to run on it, require a dual core processor to run efficiently. Most people replace their phone every 24 months, and many replace it even more frequently (myself included).

I couldn't care less whether I have a phone with dual core right now so I can run the game that's going to be released in 12 or 18 months. What I care about, is will the phone I have then be able to run it. I have not kept any of the 6 or 7 smartphones I've had more than 18 months.

medium_pimpin    202

Not even remotely. The original post IMO was titled Windows Phone 8 - it IS an OS, it does not dictate what glass manufacturers use, etc.

Nope. From my experience they talk about their HD7, Omnia, etc.

I can, just fine thank you!

Brilliant.

+Human.Online    8,542

? Confused ?

HawkMan    5,232
Needs Less Metro! I would use WP7/WP8 if it had a desktop style interface like Android (or even iOS). Or if the metro was only like.. for a menu system not as the phones entirety. Like if you could W8 style it (Metro if you want it, Desktop if you don't) that would be awesome in my books.

Have you even tried WP7 ? Over time?

Metro is so far beyond anything else in usability for an info centric device it's not even in the same league.

As for android, with my android phone I spent all day tinkering with it to get it looking good and working good, preferably at the same time, neve rsucceding quite at doing either, much less both. With WP7 I'm just using my phone, and it works.

+Chsoriano    130

Have you even tried WP7 ? Over time?

Metro is so far beyond anything else in usability for an info centric device it's not even in the same league.

As for android, with my android phone I spent all day tinkering with it to get it looking good and working good, preferably at the same time, neve rsucceding quite at doing either, much less both. With WP7 I'm just using my phone, and it works.

Completely agree, my experience with WP7 has overall been much more pleasurable than my old Android phone.

+Human.Online    8,542

See, I agree. To look at - metro/WP7 LOOKS to be clunky and useless, a waste of screen space.

But to use... It's just miles ahead of any other UI. And I say that as an Android fanboy!

• Like 1

neufuse    3,846

SLR Camera? where would you put the mirror at? :rofl: most SLR cameras use a mirror system hence the R in the name

+Human.Online    8,542

Again goes to show the OP is talking about crap he doesn't understand!

123456789A    4,710

My top 10 things Windows Phone 8 needs!

1. 300 PPI and Gorilla screen

No, 305 PPI and Chimpanzee screen.

2. Dual-Core processing and 1GB Ram

It's coming eventually.

3. 4G/LTE

It's coming eventually.

4. SLR Camera plus 1080p video recording

SLR camera? Do you even know what that is?

5. Siri like voice interaction

It already has some voice interaction, expect to see it expanded in the future.

6. Minimum 32GB storage

It's coming.

7. Better IE9 browser standard aka more like Chrome or Firefox rendering on desktop

Haven't tried the newest mobile IE9.

8. Fix copy/paste (Does not work all the time)

What doesn't work?

9. Better Zune software

In what way?

10. Better looking phones.

We'll get right on that.

+Human.Online    8,542

Minimum 32gig? Why? I bet most phone users are happy with about 4. I'd argue "upgradable" is more important than a minimum!

As for Siri: Vlingo impresses me!

+Chsoriano    130

Minimum 32gig? Why? I bet most phone users are happy with about 4. I'd argue "upgradable" is more important than a minimum!

As for Siri: Vlingo impresses me!

I don't agree that most phone users would be happy with 4 (I think many ignorant customers would go for the one with "more space"), but also agree that "upgradeable" is equally (if not more) important. That's one of the big negatives in my opinion so far. None of the phones have had > 16GB of storage, and only one (Samsung Omnia/Focus) has had expandable storage.

On the day I bought my Samsung Focus, I walked into the store with my 32GB microSD card in hand.

George P    5,490

I dunno about this, we're talking about WP8 which we know nothing about so any list is just a wish list and very subjective.

Things we do know though, and this makes sense for WP as a platform are 4G/LTE support and dual core support. We'll see both in 2012, probably early 2012 I'd say. Right now it's best to have an OS optimized and it's apps as well, for a single core rather than not having much optimization and just tossing beefer hardware at the problem.

The fact WP7 runs so smooth on year old 1Ghz snapdragons with 512MB of ram is a testament to how much work has went into the OS from the start. Dual core phones will come when we have better batteries and the dual core chips are even better at using less power thus keeping the WP platform going smooth without any performance issue. As for 1GB of RAM, nothing stopping a dev from making a phone tomorrow with 1GB of ram, that's up to them and nothing MS has to do to the OS or SDK unlike with dual core where you'll have to add support for multi threading of apps into the SDK at least and at core OS code so that things actually take advantage of the 2nd core from the get go.

Higher res screens, well, those are going to come for sure, but right now, for something that's almost a year old MS wants to keep to one screen size so that devs don't have more work to do. Hell, in WP8 MS could, if this works right, just auto scale apps to whatever the new higher res is off of the current 800x480 if the ratios match, something I'd have to look up, dunno if going from 800x480 to 1280x720 works out without issue.

If MS adds support for on-the-fly scaling of windows/apps/games to the newer res so that devs don't even have to change anything in their apps then that'd be the best way, but that is something that takes time and needs work. The easy thing would be to just toss in the higher screen and let devs work out the problems but that's not MS's style.

BillyJack    41

I'm sorry but having a low standard in a phone is not my style. I use and own a HTC HD7.

You are right! That is why I carry around a full size tower and setup with my phone wired up to it. That way I can have a 30" screen 7.1 surround sound multiple inputs, eight cores, and six gpu. I carry around a battery that can run this machine for four months. Top it all off it is encased in armor so that I can shoot at it and drop it off of a tall building. Now that is top standard.

:)

jakem1    1,610

This is the funniest thing I've seen all day :laugh:

neo158    281

Yeah, cos I really want to hold a 60MP Hasselblad to my ear to make a phone call!!!

My guess is you really don't know what an SLR is, do you?

Here, I'll enlighten you:

Now tell me, how would you fit that into a phone?

+LogicalApex    1,747

Has to be the funniest thing I have read in a long time. Just too funny.

SLR on a phone haha

What next? 27" LCDs and GTX 570 graphics cards for gaming? Haha man you are too comical.

• Like 1

Osiris    822

WP doesnt need dualcore as many have said but from a marketing perspective it needs it bad as so many people dont compare UI or how the device is, they dont know what they want and so they then try to differentiate between specs since prices across bands of smartphones have become somewhat homogenous.

Muhammad Farrukh    1,080

WP doesnt need dualcore as many have said but from a marketing perspective it needs it bad as so many people dont compare UI or how the device is, they dont know what they want and so they then try to differentiate between specs since prices across bands of smartphones have become somewhat homogenous.

You, literally, nailed it bro. (Y)

BajiRav    2,137

Sure! and I want it powered by a fusion reactor for better battery life. Do you even know what SLR stands for? Did you mean a better camera sensor?

:pinch:

+Human.Online    8,542

I want a 42" hi-def LCD display on my 4.3" smartphone please!

Woelfel    135

Ok, those are cool specs in your wishlist but does it blend?

medium_pimpin    202

I just want to be able to sync my Favorites with my PC/SkyDrive. And manual backups.

Current hardware is great. My Focus is still blazing.

TheDisneyMagic    15

The only improvement I would like to see with Zune on the phone is Gapless playback of music, It is the only thing that stops me completely using my Zune HD for music.

ACTIONpack    491

Dual core and higher screen rez is a high request for a lot of people that are waiting for in WP.

ahhell    1,303

Needs more flux capacitors.

Also, won't Winphone 8 be Windows 8?